How do I enable the PCI-E x4 slot on my motherboard?

Hi guys, 

I recently bought a GeForce GTX 1080 for my system. Before, I had a GTX 960. I would like to use both GPU's so that I get some added mining hash power. The motherboard I use is the Gigabyte Z97-HD3. It has 1 PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot and 1 PCI-E x4 slot. The PCI-E x4 slot is shared with the x1 slot in my system, so when I have a network adapter in the x1 slot, the x4 slot will not work according to the manual. I plugged the 1080 into the x16 slot because that is the faster slot. I then plugged the 960 in the x4 slot. I installed the drivers for the 1080 but the computer does not detect that the 960 is even connected to the system. All hardware connections are correct, it is powered. In the manual, it says to make sure to set PCIE Slot Configuration (PCH) in BIOS setup to x4. I cannot find this in the gigabyte bios menu. Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

18 minutes ago, x697 said:

Hi guys, 

I recently bought a GeForce GTX 1080 for my system. Before, I had a GTX 960. I would like to use both GPU's so that I get some added mining hash power. The motherboard I use is the Gigabyte Z97-HD3. It has 1 PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot and 1 PCI-E x4 slot. The PCI-E x4 slot is shared with the x1 slot in my system, so when I have a network adapter in the x1 slot, the x4 slot will not work according to the manual. I plugged the 1080 into the x16 slot because that is the faster slot. I then plugged the 960 in the x4 slot. I installed the drivers for the 1080 but the computer does not detect that the 960 is even connected to the system. All hardware connections are correct, it is powered. In the manual, it says to make sure to set PCIE Slot Configuration (PCH) in BIOS setup to x4. I cannot find this in the gigabyte bios menu. Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

I think it's because of your cpu, A cpu has a number of PCIE lanes it can use for perferolse. You gpu can take any ware form 1x to 16x. Try and manly see it can only use 1x lane and set your 1080 to 8X. This includes your nethework and I/O

its under perferolse in your BIOS

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

On 7/15/2017 at 11:02 AM, Swealteek said:

I think it's because of your cpu, A cpu has a number of PCIE lanes it can use for perferolse. You gpu can take any ware form 1x to 16x. Try and manly see it can only use 1x lane and set your 1080 to 8X. This includes your nethework and I/O

its under perferolse in your BIOS

Thanks for your response. I found the pch setting under peripherals and found that I had to enable the PCIE x4 slot instead of the x1 slot.