Learn Android FAST!! Advice needed

Go to solution Solved by Hecknologist,

If you find this thread and are in the same boat as me, I've found the biggest help is to rearrange the IDE components to match what you are used to. For me, this was copying the Visual Studio C# designer style and it's back to familiar ground.

19 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Just learn to navigate the API. Should not be too strange from C sharp.

The similarities to C# are pretty uncanny once rearranged.

The only major difference I found with android's java and C sharp is lambda expressions.

This, while I haven't yet faced, will surely rear its head soon. This will probably be just a case of experience and googling.

Cheers for the help, appreciate it.

also found this video quite helpful for getting through the boring stuff to begin with:

layout:

Spoiler

2a7debef97.png

Hi guys,

I have been asked to help a lecturer at uni with developing an Android app for their phd research. It's paid work and would be really good for the CV but I've never done android before.

Any advice on where I can learn to use Android Studio in 2 weeks? My experience is mostly in C++ in Visual Studio doing game dev with openGL, SFML and Box2D.

Thanks, appreciate any input.

android studio is just an IDE what you'll actually be learning is java.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

android studio is just an IDE what you'll actually be learning is java.

Yea, I have a small amount of Java experience but I'll need to brush up on that. I jumped in to Android Studio and it seems a little bit daunting though :/ 

Just learn to navigate the API. Should not be too strange from C sharp. All hard stuff is abstracted away. Feel free to hit me up for specific questions. I guess the hardest part for a new comer is understanding the changes between versions, specifically with the play services and gps. They change the gps API every year.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, xVIP said:

Yea, I have a small amount of Java experience but I'll need to brush up on that. I jumped in to Android Studio and it seems a little bit daunting though :/ 

The only major difference I found with android's java and C sharp is lambda expressions. When I first encountered them it was wtf is this. There is a bit of inter-breeding between old java and functional programming which will mess with your head coming from an object oriented background.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Feel free to hit me up for specific questions. I guess the hardest part for a new comer is understanding the changes between versions, specifically with the play services and gps. They change the gps API every year.

Thanks, you'll probably get a pm or two in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping the final design will be fairly universal to make things easier.

If you find this thread and are in the same boat as me, I've found the biggest help is to rearrange the IDE components to match what you are used to. For me, this was copying the Visual Studio C# designer style and it's back to familiar ground.

Just learn to navigate the API. Should not be too strange from C sharp.

The similarities to C# are pretty uncanny once rearranged.

The only major difference I found with android's java and C sharp is lambda expressions.

This, while I haven't yet faced, will surely rear its head soon. This will probably be just a case of experience and googling.

Cheers for the help, appreciate it.

also found this video quite helpful for getting through the boring stuff to begin with:

layout:

Spoiler

2a7debef97.png