I want to start computer repair and building.

darragh_5
Go to solution Solved by darragh_5,
5 hours ago, Liam-Wabbit said:

there not a lot of money  in it, you would have to sell a lot to make enough money to live on :(
maybe as a hobby first.
add phone and tablet repairs maybe , like repairing screens and reflashing phones and you might have a chance 

Then again, I'm under 15, so I don't need to make a living. I don't want to do it for the money, just because I like computers.:D

I want to start buying used computers for people,  upgrade them, then sell them on sites like eBay.

I think it would be rather simple. Buy a computer cheap (e.g. at a thrift store) then upgrade it (RAM, CPU and GPU (Only for more powerful systems). I'm just doing it because nobody will give you a nice computer for cheap. I will be focused mainly on building PCs for basic things, like web browsing, work and more. I will still make high-end PCs of course. I'm not doing it for the money, just for the crack. Has anyone a idea or concern? I am able able to build a PC, by the way. Duh.

4 minutes ago, darragh_5 said:

I want to start buying used computers for people,  upgrade them, then sell them on sites like eBay.

I think it would be rather simple. Buy a computer cheap (e.g. at a thrift store) then upgrade it (RAM, CPU and GPU (Only for more powerful systems). I'm just doing it because nobody will give you a nice computer for cheap. I will be focused mainly on building PCs for basic things, like web browsing, work and more. I will still make high-end PCs of course. I'm not doing it for the money, just for the crack. Has anyone a idea or concern? I am able able to build a PC, by the way. Duh.

My main concern with that plan is reliability. Thrift store PCs are hit or miss. You don't know the history of the machine so you can't give customers your warranty on it. Even if you sell them as-is, you're not going to generate much interest because no one wants to purchase a machine that could go wrong the next day. Also, thrift store machine as typically really outdated, which would generate even less interest.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I do this locally, I don't generally deal with shipping aside from special circumstances.

The way I do it is charge nothing for the build itself, but do the RMA's and stuff and keep that for myself(that's my profit), I am very specific about terms(built to order pc, as is, no returns, no warranty, no exceptions) and only deal through paypal, most people wont have a problem with that

I don't do used parts for resale, however I do repair/upgrade peoples pc's for a flat rate.

cover yourself, above all else, people are scum.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

i think there's a small niche on craigslist that does this, but if you want to build computers and fix them, and you wouldn't mind earning a bit of cash, imo, get a job at best buy or micro center, you could fix and build pc's to your hearts content and not worry about finding parts or not making enough to cover costs.I know that microcenter specifically builds and sells high end custom pc's but im not sure who or how many people do that.

Just now, FearlessSwami29 said:

i think there's a small niche on craigslist that does this, but if you want to build computers and fix them, and you wouldn't mind earning a bit of cash, imo, get a job at best buy or micro center, you could fix and build pc's to your hearts content and not worry about finding parts or not making enough to cover costs.I know that microcenter specifically builds and sells high end custom pc's but im not sure who or how many people do that.

I am under age for a job. Like under 14. Ye. So.

2 minutes ago, darragh_5 said:

In that case I'd avoid this entirely. Not many people out there with the money for a pc, that would trust someone that young. xD 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

2 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

I do this locally, I don't generally deal with shipping aside from special circumstances.

The way I do it is charge nothing for the build itself, but do the RMA's and stuff and keep that for myself, I am very specific about terms(built to order pc, as is, no returns, no warranty, no exceptions) and only deal through paypal, most people wont have a problem with that

I don't do used parts for resale, however I do repair/upgrade peoples pc's for a flat rate.

cover yourself, above all else, people are scum.

I know. I have a local place when people dump there old PCs, then they will give them to me for free.

They mostly have Dell Optiplexs with those Core 2 Duos, they are good for basic things. I could also upgrade the RAM, CPU, GPU.

As I get them for free, I could offer refunds,as I would'nt lose anything then.

Just now, darragh_5 said:

i feel you, i know from past experience that best buy only highers 16 year olds and up. So in the mean time, look for old pc's or other opportunities, maybe working in your school (i have worked as the it guy for my high schools video department for 3 years now) and then, in 2 years, apply. having prior experince , especially when it shows you have initiative, is always good.

1 minute ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

In that case I'd avoid this entirely. Not many people out there with the money for a pc, that would trust someone that young. xD 

I was thinking getting computers from a local place for free. They mostly have Dell Optiplexs with Core 2 Duos. I could sell them for like dirt cheap. 

1 minute ago, darragh_5 said:

I was thinking getting computers from a local place for free. They mostly have Dell Optiplexs with Core 2 Duos. I could sell them for like dirt cheap. 

If you have the connections then that's great, I would do what @FearlessSwami29 is recommending, I worked for my high school IT department and that paved the way to my current job in IT. Always had hands on experience with machines and never had to worry about burning my own money for it, now I build pc's as a 'free' service to local people and benefit from the free game codes and RMA's that come with the hardware.

Most machine can be updated by using a 60gb ssd drive as a boot drive and adding a graphic card.
not a problem getting job lot of old graphic card.
The problem with old machines are, they're are usually Intel core 2 duo's ex business machines

limited by case size, Power supply lack of power or PCIX power connections, PCIX slot's for adding cards,
capacitors bulging (old mainboard problem) and BIOS. Is the mainboard company still in business ?
This can pose a bios update problem for adding more ram.
I can not find a bios for an old board to add over 3.2GB of RAM :( 
lucky i don't need loads of RAM as it's a music production machine and i only use XP on there 

IT IS HARDER TO BUILD A GOOD REPUTATION SELLING USED PRODUCTS. THE FAIL RATE IS HIGHER AND YOU CAN REPLACE A FAIL UNIT TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE FAIL FOR THE CUSTOMER AS WELL    

12 hours ago, Liam-Wabbit said:

Most machine can be updated by using a 60gb ssd drive as a boot drive and adding a graphic card.
not a problem getting job lot of old graphic card.
The problem with old machines are, they're are usually Intel core 2 duo's ex business machines

limited by case size, Power supply lack of power or PCIX power connections, PCIX slot's for adding cards,
capacitors bulging (old mainboard problem) and BIOS. Is the mainboard company still in business ?
This can pose a bios update problem for adding more ram.
I can not find a bios for an old board to add over 3.2GB of RAM :( 
lucky i don't need loads of RAM as it's a music production machine and i only use XP on there 

IT IS HARDER TO BUILD A GOOD REPUTATION SELLING USED PRODUCTS. THE FAIL RATE IS HIGHER AND YOU CAN REPLACE A FAIL UNIT TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE FAIL FOR THE CUSTOMER AS WELL    

Yes, I was going to get something like a Samsung Evo SSD as the boot drive and have a 500GB or 1TB drive for everything else. I was going to add mabey something like a GT 710 as a new GPU. That thing is small and don't need PCI-E power. Most power supplys in older systems are like 240 Watts, so a Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, an SSD, 1TB HDD and a GT 710 would make an Ok system for most things. I am able to solder new capacitors to the motherboard if some are bulging. 

1 hour ago, darragh_5 said:

Yes, I was going to get something like a Samsung Evo SSD as the boot drive and have a 500GB or 1TB drive for everything else. I was going to add mabey something like a GT 710 as a new GPU. That thing is small and don't need PCI-E power. Most power supplys in older systems are like 240 Watts, so a Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, an SSD, 1TB HDD and a GT 710 would make an Ok system for most things. I am able to solder new capacitors to the motherboard if some are bulging. 

I now have my first computer of sale on eBay. It's an aution starting at 200 for a Lenovo B50-30 Laptop. It's got an Intel Celeron @ 2,16 Ghz, 4GB RAM (DDR3), a 500GB HDD, WiFi and bluetooth. Just ask if ur intrested and I'l give u a link.

17 hours ago, darragh_5 said:

Sounds like a good idea, but as the other guys said you need to factor in a couple of things that could go wrong.

I'm doing the same, here in the UK, as a side business apart from my job. The difference is that I invest my own money to buy components or bundles and sometimes whole PCs. Build them, and sell them for a profit ranging from min £50 to £150-£200 per PC. I always negotiate hard for the components I buy in order to keep a safe margin.

I sell them on gumtree, shpock (kind of craigslist) and facebook and never on eBay due to their fees and PayPal fees (recently sold a 980ti for £250 and after I paid the fees I was left with £210, RIPP OFF).

Keep a strong position as the age doesn't really help you and you need to be 100% sure on what you are talking in front of a possible customer.

Good luck with that, hope will work ;)

Cheers.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

3 hours ago, r3loAded said:

Sounds like a good idea, but as the other guys said you need to factor in a couple of things that could go wrong.

I'm doing the same, here in the UK, as a side business apart from my job. The difference is that I invest my own money to buy components or bundles and sometimes whole PCs. Build them, and sell them for a profit ranging from min £50 to £150-£200 per PC. I always negotiate hard for the components I buy in order to keep a safe margin.

I sell them on gumtree, shpock (kind of craigslist) and facebook and never on eBay due to their fees and PayPal fees (recently sold a 980ti for £250 and after I paid the fees I was left with £210, RIPP OFF).

Keep a strong position as the age doesn't really help you and you need to be 100% sure on what you are talking in front of a possible customer.

Good luck with that, hope will work ;)

Cheers.

Yeah, Your right! I might start selling a Facebook, as then I get the full cut, and don't get those fees.

there not a lot of money  in it, you would have to sell a lot to make enough money to live on :(
maybe as a hobby first.
add phone and tablet repairs maybe , like repairing screens and reflashing phones and you might have a chance 

5 hours ago, Liam-Wabbit said:

maybe as a hobby first.

Then again, I'm under 15, so I don't need to make a living. I don't want to do it for the money, just because I like computers.:D