Should I start folding?

I have been thinking about Folding for A while now but I haven't start yet due to the fact that it has been reported to decrease your computer's performance.

Here are my specs:

Intel i7 @ 3 GHz

GTX 660 SC

6GB of 1330 MHz ram ( Will be upgrading very soon)

I would list my motherboard, ect, but I doubt you will need that information. Also I would just like to say my download speed is around 15 MBs whereas my upload speed is only around 1MBs

I'm folding now and for web browsing you won't notice much difference but i probably couldn't game when the folding is running.

Only fold if you have a server thats on 24/7. Don't keep your computer on to fold or anything like that.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Any computer can Fold and be productive at the same time - within the Folding client (both thin and fat) is the ability to adjust the amount of CPU resource that FAH uses. In my case, I have the client set at 100% on my download box (Acer AM 1610 - Vista Basic x32, Seagare 2TB, please don't laugh - it was free); when I need to do anything, I just shut off the FAH client, do what I have to do, and resume it when I leave. Since that computer is running 24/7 it works very well. On my laptop (HP G60, Intel 510, Win8 Pro), I have it running at 70% and I don't ever notice any lack of resource. Keeping in mind, I'm not a gamer, I just like to watch movies and TV shows and surf the Web, though I don't see how the FAH client can affect your system when it's off. The only thing I recommend is to keep the Graphic OFF as it's just a useless resource-hog.

Hope that helps!

As said - you can essentially "pause" the client when you need to do something intensive, like gaming, and resume it when not. For web browsing, email, youtube, etc, I leave mine running at full tilt.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Another thing to keep in mind is the electricity bill that comes along with folding.

I used to fold until i got my servers, now its just to expensive to fold.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Yes, your power bill may go up a bit, however, if using PC's with decent PSU's, like 80+ Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc, you shouldn't notice much of an increase. Especially with only one or two systems. I myself do notice a bit, with two dedicated servers, one server with three Hyper-V guests and two dedicated workstations. Course, I do have a mini datacenter in my crawl space. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

My 24/7 i5 folding system with a i5 2400 and a GTX560Ti uses 300W out of the wall.

MEH

fold for evga 111065. 150k a month they give you 5$ 300k a month gives you 10$ a month . but you can spend only for their products on their website. i got 120 $ to use anytime and i got 40k per day of folding points on gtx 670.

• 2 weeks later...
fold for evga 111065. 150k a month they give you 5$ 300k a month gives you 10$ a month . but you can spend only for their products on their website. i got 120 $ to use anytime and i got 40k per day of folding points on gtx 670.

Well I don't know what they offer for EVGA $ but it would take me something like 10 years doing nightly folding on my current rig to buy/build a dedicated Folding rig that way haha think I'll stick with this team and help out every night like I do atm :)

That is really interesting. I never knew people do that. (I mean pay people for folding)

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I know a few of the bigger folding groups (these guys running 4P systems and such) also have competitions with prizes... Not sure you provides the prizes. I assume some retailer or Brand more for the advertising aspect of it...