2.0 vs 2.1 at a similar price point

Hello,

I've been looking at purchasing a new set of PC speakers and I've been wondering whether it's better to go with a 2.0 set or a 2.1 set.

The speakers would be general purpose - gaming, music, movies, etc.

Now, I'm no audiophile, but I am halfway towards being one - I can definitely recognize when something sounds terrible. 

I need something halfway decent which will not drive me crazy. No great volume or bass which will make my neighbors kill me required.

My budget is about 100€ and I've been looking at Edifier 1280T or Tascam VL-S3 for the 2.0 side. I've almost decided to buy the Edifiers, but

I don't want to be sorry about getting a 2.0 set when I could have gotten a similarly price 2.1 set (Edifier M3200, for example). 

Any advice? Thanks!

You can hardly get something good for a 2.1 at this price point ... 

If you want some good Hi-Fi speaker from edifier the Luna are on Massdrop but @150usd 

But if you want some cheap studio monitor like speaker Alesis Elevate 3 MKII are great for less than 100usd

In the 2.1 maybe M-audio can be your choice, loads of bass but overall great sound M-Audio AV32.1

15 minutes ago, Belzebuth said:

You can hardly get something good for a 2.1 at this price point ... 

If you want some good Hi-Fi speaker from edifier the Luna are on Massdrop but @150usd 

But if you want some cheap studio monitor like speaker Alesis Elevate 3 MKII are great for less than 100usd

In the 2.1 maybe M-audio can be your choice, loads of bass but overall great sound M-Audio AV32.1

Thanks for the hints. Sadly, my budget is quite limited, I'm trying to do the best I can with what I have. Those M-Audios look really nice, but in my country they're 180€, which is almost double my budget... same goes for the Lunas, cheapest I can get them here is 210€.

if you don't need massive bass, i think you'd be better off with a good pair of 2.0 bookshelf speakers instead of having a subwoofer and two tiny cubes that don't sound as good.

just look at the m3200.

m3200_web_03_2c1ebd05-acaa-4570-a07d-978

all plastic ... tall but no real mass .... and the speakers they put in there look like they ripped them out of a cheap toy keyboard.

the R1280T on the other hand ... 

91j16UnwTXL._SL1500_.jpg