Is an i7-2630QM supported on an HP Probook 4430s?

Hey all, I'm new to the forums so sup!

Anyway, as the title implies I wanna upgrade my 4430s probook, according to this site, the 2630QM is supported. But I just wanted to make sure here. The laptop is currently running on a i5-2450M without a problem, but I noticed that the 2630QM is a 45W TDP chip while the 2450M is a 35W TDP, does this mean potential thermal throttling or heat issues?

~Thanks! :)

1 minute ago, Gawne said:

does this mean potential thermal throttling or heat issues?

yes, it won't be a good idea to upgrade. 

So then would an i7-2620M be a more conventional upgrade? That's a 35W TDP CPU.

3 minutes ago, Gawne said:

So then would an i7-2620M be a more conventional upgrade? That's a 35W TDP CPU.

yes.

7000th post!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

HP models of that generation support 45w quads fine, but do be warned, there is a 40W power limit enforced by the BIOS. 

It is the same in the EliteBook 2560p and the 2570p, which is the machine I own. 

It gets fucking toasty in there however. Use a paste like Arctic Silver 5 or Gelid GC-Extreme. 

idk

Oh wow, thanks! Now I actually have moderate confidence in dropping $50 on a CPU, haha :) 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/hp-probook-4330s-with-i7-2820qm.630676/

That's the 4330s, which shares a lot with the 4430s. 

It should work.

If you want good temps, you gotta mess with the heatsink, which involves a Dremel to free space and a heatpipe, like this: 42_640_640.jpg.d85b79a4c31c7a065564a4c11ec43c4c.jpg

Good luck, friend. 

idk

• 6 months later...

Hi.

I have question about this modded heatsink. Is it your solution or just picture of other user idea? Could you inform me about temperature change after this modification? I've already created similar mod in my HP 2570p (I used Arctic silver Ceramique to fit it together, it is dense enough to keep it almost like a glue, heat conductivity seems working fine, extra pipe is quite hot and radiator is hotter as well). Unfortunately I didn't notice bigger improvement of temps, about 2 degree down. Do you think that thermal advesive should give better results (its conductivity is usually lower than thermal paste)? Maybe fan isn't strong enough to remove additional heat transported by extra heatpipe (I,ve decreased its maximal rpm using NotebookFanControl - about 80% of max rpm when temperature is 80 and more degree).

Thanks in advance for your reply.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:42 PM, daroooo1983 said:

Hi.

I have question about this modded heatsink. Is it your solution or just picture of other user idea? Could you inform me about temperature change after this modification? I've already created similar mod in my HP 2570p (I used Arctic silver Ceramique to fit it together, it is dense enough to keep it almost like a glue, heat conductivity seems working fine, extra pipe is quite hot and radiator is hotter as well). Unfortunately I didn't notice bigger improvement of temps, about 2 degree down. Do you think that thermal advesive should give better results (its conductivity is usually lower than thermal paste)? Maybe fan isn't strong enough to remove additional heat transported by extra heatpipe (I,ve decreased its maximal rpm using NotebookFanControl - about 80% of max rpm when temperature is 80 and more degree).

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Yeah, the fan doesn't dissipate too much heat on the 2570p.

The best fan to get is the 2560p Sunon maglev fan as a replacement, with 3360M and shitty old paste (I plan to put my 3740qm in this weekend) I get 80c under CPU/GPU full load using AIDA64.

That image is from 51nb, not my mod.

idk

16 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Yeah, the fan doesn't dissipate too much heat on the 2570p.

The best fan to get is the 2560p Sunon maglev fan as a replacement, with 3360M and shitty old paste (I plan to put my 3740qm in this weekend) I get 80c under CPU/GPU full load using AIDA64.

That image is from 51nb, not my mod.

Do you think that Sunon could be more efficient than Forcecon I have? I could replace the fan but I need to be sure that this solution will drop my temps.

1 hour ago, daroooo1983 said:

Do you think that Sunon could be more efficient than Forcecon I have? I could replace the fan but I need to be sure that this solution will drop my temps.

I'm fairly sure. Have you replaced the fan before? The Sunon is slightly more efficient but what really matters is how worn the fan bearings are. Mine had not been replaced since I had deployed the device. I dropped 20c+ by changing it. 

idk

14 hours ago, Droidbot said:

I'm fairly sure. Have you replaced the fan before? The Sunon is slightly more efficient but what really matters is how worn the fan bearings are. Mine had not been replaced since I had deployed the device. I dropped 20c+ by changing it. 

Wow! Result is incredible.

In this week I have replaced fan with a new one but I bought another Forcecon. Only one advantage is lower level of high frequency noise coming from fan bearing. Additionally I changed stock heatsink of my HP 2570p using new one from the HP 2560p which is considered as more efficient. I lapped radiator copper plate to improve heat transfer, applied GC Extreme instead of my old Arctic Ceramique I (revision II sucks a bit). In Windows & power plan I set 70% of max power demand of M3360 to decrease heat and disable turbo boost (the same settings as before cooling modifications and parts replacement). I used a pc game to test max heat because Intel HD 4000 working on max level heats processor more (adding extra heat) than when processor working without use of the graphic card. I haven’t noticed almost any differences, heat level is very similar with error margin 1-2 C. Now I have no idea what else can I do, only stronger fan or bottom additional holes could change situation. It is possible that my modifications can lower max temperature when I fully load only processor cores (without graphic card), I think that the Intel HD 4000 gives enough additional heat to make cooling system unable to cool down both processor and graphic card working on their max level.

BTW, what about SUNON noise level in comparison to Forcecon (they have different bearing system, am I right?)

• 1 month later...

Today I get new Sunon fan. I compared its efficiency and noise level with new Forcecon. Differences are:

- in accordance to temperature drop - no difference, maybe  +/- 1 C,

- Sunon bearing is a bit louder than Forcecon, I was a bit dissapointed,

- noise of the air moved out of the device by both fans is comparable with slight advantage on the Sunon side (its wings have different shape than Forcecon's), but sound of bearing is higher and much annoying.

I think that package temperature go up because of Intel hd 4000 and there is no way to deal with it.

I can play games only when I decrease CPU power to 70% and set Intel on "balanced" (about 82C on cores and 85C on iGPU). Luckily I play on my hp 2-3 days per month ;-)