My first mining Rig

Hey there, just wanted to post my first mining rig up and see what everyone thinks. its still a work in progress, no cables managed, fans just sitting on their sides in the chassis. good old DIY stuff :) stuck between actually finding graphics cards and also affording them :P but this startup rig put together thanks to my old buddy Craig with this list hes got. Mobo and CPU are total overkill for a mining rig, but im also learning linux so it gives me all the headroom i could want to tinker when im doing that with it. will eventually replace with a G4400 most likely at some point once i have 6 gpus total.

Current Specs-Cost.        All prices in Canadian Ruppies

Asus max iv extreme (v1.0) w/2600k @4.4GHZ-320$

GTX 1060 6gb EVGA SSC-300$  -80% power -100 clock +850mem 23.3~ mh/s

GTX 1070 Asus Strix OC-500$(thing is a beast) -80% power -100 clock +650mem 30.3~mh/s

about twelve 120mm fans that ive collected over the last while. -50$

750 watt EVGA P2 platinum PSU-110$ on sale long time ago. finally get to use it

Old 3u, 21 indeep server chassis that i got for 35 bucks! Prolly the best deal out of anything.

15dollar Potato CPU cooler since all i had was a 212 evo and it was too tall. considering pulling a linus on it with a hack saw. it couldnt perform worth than the potato cooler :P

Running Claymore Etherium Dual miner on Single currency mode (eth only) windows 10 that came with mobo....for now

6Pack Riser cards - 60 bucks still awaiting them since they are coming from china

Total cost around 1390 CDN.

The market has been very volatile the last couple days. mostly down, but still all over. as of posting its running at 53 - 54 mh/s, netting me around 160 a month after power costs. Thx BC and good old hydro power. im not worry if the market totally tanks, for now its still got a long way to go before its a loss for me. Also like i said im learning linux and just generally like having fun tinkering with computers. i may stick a harddrive in it too for some extra storage off my main rig. When the Riser arrive il be setting them up so the GPUs will be mounted along the front portion of the chassis, with push pull fans (properly) mounted around them. Temps are already sitting at 60C on both GPUs with gpu fans around 30 %. Fun feature on the asus card is it has 2x4pin fan headers to let you control case fans with the GPU fan profile. plugged my fan hub in and boom, gpu is controlling the case fans. super cool feature.

any who, here are some pics, let me know what you think, any tips and suggestions appreciated :)

IMG_2254[1].JPG

IMG_2255[1].JPG

IMG_2256[1].JPG

IMG_2257[1].JPG

IMG_2258[1].JPG

IMG_2259[1].JPG

The thing that gives me the most happiness: You only used 2 cards! Hooray! (I don't like it when people buy up 8-10 cards to slap in a box and run 24/7 mining, vs using them for gaming like they were designed for) 

And I hope it lasts a long time and you can get a good ROI. B|

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

The thing that gives me the most happiness: You only used 2 cards! Hooray! (I don't like it when people buy up 8-10 cards to slap in a box and run 24/7 mining, vs using them for gaming like they were designed for) 

And I hope it lasts a long time and you can get a good ROI. B|

Thank you! However if i had another 2k in my pocket, there would be 4 1070s of any type coming to me off ebay right now :P im not that noble. I actually got the 170 for my main rig to replace two 960s. but the 960s dont mine well and im stuck at 1080p anyways so screw it, let the 1070 buy my monitor :)

nice rig, 

I was just wandering why mining? you build it for the knowledge and tinkering ich,, or for the possible coins you will get from it?

It looks like the ROI would be hard to hit... 

You didnt ask me but, if I were you and had 2k to invest in cryptos, I would buy coins directly.

Good Luck.

Capture.PNG

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!

my powers down around .08, so little better margins. just enjoy a bit of everything when it comes to why. figure why not. worst that happens is it totally crashes and i end up with a totally badass F@H rig :)

Its all a gamble too. it going low could cause i buying spree sending it back up. a week ago it was at around 260 right before this last dip. 

1 hour ago, Andmanpro said:

GTX 1060 6gb EVGA -80% power -100 clock +850mem 23.3~ mh/s

GTX 1070 Asus Strix -80% power -100 clock +650mem 30.3~mh/s

So, I should overclock my 1080 differently.

How did you come to those memory clocks?

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 3:13 PM, GamingMemeKing said:

-80% power.

Does this mean you are using only 20% TDP or are you at 80%?

yes sorry, power is AT 80%

On 7/10/2017 at 3:14 PM, DutchTexan said:

So, I should overclock my 1080 differently.

How did you come to those memory clocks?

Trial and error. Highest mem clock i could get stable with lowest power draw

so small update. riser arrived and i have the 1070, 1060 and two 960s in the rig. unfortunatly due to the controller on the Max 4, only 3 are recognized. looking into a sabertooth off ebay and sell off the max 4, will be able to get 6 running no problem on it.

decided on the BTC250 from biostar. will put the 6600k in it for mining rig, and use the maximus 4 and 2600k for my personal rig. anyone wanna buy a fresh rma max viii when it comes back in the van isle area? :D

box is running at a smooth 1000sol/s with the 1070, 1060, and 2 960s. the 6600k also does about 140 hash for XMR.

Also have it all set up for remove managment with Awesome miner.