Do I need antivirus on a new gaming pc?

Hey everyone I was wondering if I could get some input on whether I should invest in antivirus software for a new pc I am building. Thanks!

I don't use one because they use resources and for me they block VAC so I can't play Valve games. As long as you are smart you should not need one. I just run a Malwarebytes scan once a year

2 minutes ago, dtapemaster said:

Hey everyone I was wondering if I could get some input on whether I should invest in antivirus software for a new pc I am building. Thanks!

Yes, but no....

If you think you are smart enough to stay away from questionable content and sites etc then you can forgo the AV. I personally would never recommend NOT having an AV on your PC because if you do somehow become infected, you could potentially get your gaming accounts compromised. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

12 minutes ago, dtapemaster said:

ESET NOD32 is not bad. Don't go with Avast cause it gave me headache when Black Ops 3 didnt want to start and takes a lot of resources :/

Windows defender(built into windows 10) is actually pretty good at catching stuff. 

6 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

If you think you are smart enough to stay away from questionable content and sites etc then you can forgo the AV

this isn't always true, ads on safe sights can get injected. Just look the wnnacry that only required a computer to be exposed to the internet.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

Windows defender(built into windows 10) is actually pretty good at catching stuff. 

this isn't always true, ads on safe sights can get injected. Just look the wnnacry that only required a computer to be exposed to the internet.

Very true. This is why I would never actually recommend to NOT have an AV installed. You should always have an AV installed IMO. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Very true. This is why I would never actually recommend to NOT have an AV installed. You should always have an AV installed IMO. 

i would actually say having an Av that has auto sand boxing is the way to go.

@dtapemaster if you're up for a bit of a learning curve i suggest comodo internet security, its the same as the paid version but you get online support with the paid one. 

has the best firewall in the industry and has default deny architecture, basically anything that isn't white listed by comodo is auto ran in a sand box. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´