Rate Brands

From your experiences rate prebuilts both laptops, desktops, and Mini's so that others have a basic guide of who to avoid

Laptops:                      

Asus: really good 4 years from the computer with downfall being reasonable

Compaq: lasted for a while but overheating was an issue near the end of it's life span but lasted long given the amount of dust in my house

HP: good budget laptop although tough to take apart runs smoothly and great deal

Toshiba: It was unusually slow for its components

Acer: after 1 year this buisness grade laptop sounded like a jet taking off and shortly after the fan died, very bad durability

Desktops:

Dell: Most recent dell had to be replaced after nearly a decade because it was too slow

HP: IT died after 7 years which is considered bad because the dell lasted so long

Mini's:

Dell: the psu died after 2 years  

well a personal opinion of one person 

and rating a specific product isn't the same as rating the brand as a whole 

so there's a lot of NOPE

thats why I want others to comment their opinions so that we can get a good representation of the brand and not just 1 persons personal experiences

1 minute ago, TheSneakinSpider said:

thats why I want others to comment their opinions so that we can get a good representation of the brand and not just 1 persons personal experiences

and how much do we need? like a few thousands of replies? even that isn't enough since each product of same brand is different 

a few thousand would be nice but this is to show a base for brands commonly marked as bad from everyone here

Laptops:

Asus: have a Vista era laptop and Windows 7 era netbook. Former was really good at release, but became louder and hotter over time, also slower because HDD. Fared nicely. No complaints about the netbook, since it was basically an 'on the side' small laptop.

Acer: Windows XP era laptop, got slower over time because HDD, otherwise no complaints.

HP: have two of their laptops currently, they do very well.

Desktops:

Asus: have one of their motherboards that is working fine after 5 years and another which died just a little over a year of usage. RMA didn't cost me anything, but take a while.

WD and Seagate: just gonna roll the two HDD manufacturers I have ever had into one entry. Never had a failing HDD, pre-2007 or so I always had Seagate, after that only WD.

Samsung: have two 840 Evo's, no problems there.

MSI: have one of their motherboards (from 2009) and it does well.

Antec: have couple of their cases, good for the time, but not comparable to even budget new cases.

AMD: only had AMD CPU's and absolutely no problems there, of course some are showing their age (like my Athlon X2).

Intel: had Intel in laptops, not in PC's.

Nvidia: have an old 8900 or something and myself I am using a hand me down Quadro 410, no complaints on either (of course I am not expecting any high end performance from either).

Peripherals/Monitors:

Asus: Also have one of their monitors, no problems there. Got an Asus Gladius mouse couple days ago and it's quite nice. Not RGB though, Reeeee!
BenQ: using one of their monitors, it's good for what it is. It's TN. Looking into getting one of their IPS 1440p monitors.
Coolermaster: have one of their mechanical keyboards currently, really happy with it.

Wacom: have one their cheaper tablets and other than some driver issues it's fine.

Roccat: I have won one of their mice in the past (Kiro) and it's really good! Except it often has tracking issues on certain places on my mousepad (tried with two mousepads, so the issue is the mouse). Sometimes there are fixed with cleaning the optical head, sometimes with replugging the mouse. This makes me not really recommend it. Doesn't make me fear the brand though.

I personally don't have any "avoid it" brands. This is because all brands make so many different products and so many of the same product. Of course people are bound to have failures, no product/brand has a 0% failure rate.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

rating brands is the reason why people hate HP because of their super low budget prebuilts, people alienware over that specific era they rather forget ever existed, and people hate acer because their specific product had an unlucky end.

8 minutes ago, Minibois said:

WD and Seagate: just gonna roll the two HDD manufacturers I have ever had into one entry. Never had a failing HDD, pre-2007 or so I always had Seagate, after that only WD.

They're the only 2 major HDD manufacturers in the world anyway. Hitachi drives are made by WD, same as Samsung hard drives are made by Seagate. That being said, different product lines of drives yield different reliability results, so blanketing an entire brand of hard drives doesn't help much.

Same logic applies to all brands, really: every company has their ups and downs, so we really need to narrow it down to individual product lines. For instance, I dislike most Acer products with a passion, but love their S7 Ultrabooks and recent gaming grade monitors. And their desktops have never been that troublesome.

The reliability of Dell's and HP's consumer desktop PC's are pretty decent, along with their business grade laptops. Even Dell's Inspiron consumer laptops have been amazing since Michael Dell bought the company back from its' money funnels shareholders and refocused everything, allowing them to acquire EMC too. Lenovo is another king of the jungle when it comes to reliable business machines - there's a reason IBM still does so very well in the business market, and it's the same for Lenovo since they were spun off. I still have access to a few working Lenovo desktops from the XP era (upgraded to Win7) and some Mini PC's in an industrial setting that should have died long ago.

That being said, we can also narrow down the abysmal product lines manufactured to ensure maximum consumer waste and disposability: Apple, Razer, and anyone who glues shit together instead of using screws. ALL of these products are still great, however, they do a disservice to purchasers, and ultimately the companies themselves as people realize they can't repair or even maintain their own stuff.

How does one repair an iMac these days, let alone ever clean out the dust bunnies that accumulate inside? Oh wait - you don't. You simply throw it away after 3-5 years (when used in a business situation) and pony up enough quid for the next already outdated machine. I'm picking on Apple here because they're the easiest to attack in this regard, but Razer, Samsung, and other companies make similar products that prevent anyone from making repairs.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Like apple people in this community will typically have bad experiences so for this community it will be marked as bad but other communities may mark them as good for their main use cases so I will add brand use case ratings not just the whole brand so that it can be more of help to people in the future

My personal top brands, in no particular order.

EVGA

MSI

Asrock

Lenovo

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒