Specific "gaming" headset

Go to solution Solved by Tacanacy,

Some closed-back, over-ear headphones I've picked up that people recommend for gaming:

• AKG K550
  • Audio Technica ATH-A1000Z
  • Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
  • Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus
  • Beyerdynamic DT770
  • Shure SRH940
  • V-MODA Crossfade M-100

You should probably shy away from bass-heavy headphones when it comes to competitive FPS gaming. Look specifically for a wide and deep soundstage, imaging, (instrument) separation and detail retrieval. 

Soundstage is perceived space and environment of sound. It determines whether the sound is perceived to be coming from inside your head or beyond the drivers and around you. It can be compared to virtual surround sound; both attempt to produce the same spacious, three-dimensional effect. VSS can sound more ambient and immersive, which will depend on the processor (CMSS-3D, Dolby, SBX, etc.) The reason why stereo should be considered over VSS is that VSS degrades the sound quality and diminishes detailing due to compression from digital processing. You might also experience less accurate imaging and separation. Imaging determines how accurately sounds/objects are positioned. Imaging is inherent to the audio content, so if the game is recorded or mixed poorly, a headphone with good imaging won’t improve the original source. Separation is separating individual sounds from a range of sounds. Good separation properties should make it easy to filter out or discern overlapping sounds from other sounds and track them.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to some help on picking a headphone for "gaming" use. This is slightly different from what other people have asked about so I decided to make a post about it.

Basically, the said headphone I'm looking for need to do the following things:

• The "best" for competitive gaming, particularly Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Things like footsteps and being able to pinpoint positions based on audio cues.
  • Slightly larger than usual headphone (My last headphone was the Astro A40s, and that's the kind of size I'm looking for)
  • Closed back (noise cancelling is preferred passive or active but it is not a significant factor)
  • Plug and play is preferable, no need to install drivers of any sort
  • Below $400
  • Wired

Things the headphone does not need:

• No need for a microphone
  • No need for in-line controls of any sort

I've looked through several reviews and headphones like the ATH-AG1, Hyper X Cloud II, Astro A10 and several others. The multitude of review sites and some of my own personal experiences give very conflicting views on what I should purchase. For example my old headset, the Astro A40s, were great to me but the latter generations of A40s just didn't sound as good or just had a multitude of issues. The Hyper X Cloud II is much too small for my big head. There are very different views on the budget Astro A10s. The ATH-AG1 also has some really good reviews but again some reviews just plain said it wasn't worth the price.

Probably the biggest issue I have is that most of the reviews are tailored to gaming in general, not exactly what I'm looking for in terms of practically, pure functionality and comfort for prolonged sessions in a competitive game like Counter Strike. I am fully aware that some most "gaming" designed headsets are just plain awful, have experience with some. So hopefully some of you audiophiles can help me make the right choice!

What?

Sennheiser HD 558, or HD 650

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 hour ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Sennheiser HD 558, or HD 650

Aren't those both open back headphones?

What?

1 hour ago, SlayerL0rd said:

Aren't those both open back headphones?

What about Kingston HyperX Cloud series

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Some closed-back, over-ear headphones I've picked up that people recommend for gaming:

• AKG K550
  • Beyerdynamic DT770
  • Shure SRH940
  • V-MODA Crossfade M-100

You should probably shy away from bass-heavy headphones when it comes to competitive FPS gaming. Look specifically for a wide and deep soundstage, imaging, (instrument) separation and detail retrieval. 

Soundstage is perceived space and environment of sound. It determines whether the sound is perceived to be coming from inside your head or beyond the drivers and around you. It can be compared to virtual surround sound; both attempt to produce the same spacious, three-dimensional effect. VSS can sound more ambient and immersive, which will depend on the processor (CMSS-3D, Dolby, SBX, etc.) The reason why stereo should be considered over VSS is that VSS degrades the sound quality and diminishes detailing due to compression from digital processing. You might also experience less accurate imaging and separation. Imaging determines how accurately sounds/objects are positioned. Imaging is inherent to the audio content, so if the game is recorded or mixed poorly, a headphone with good imaging won’t improve the original source. Separation is separating individual sounds from a range of sounds. Good separation properties should make it easy to filter out or discern overlapping sounds from other sounds and track them.

1 minute ago, Tacanacy said:

Can you read OP's post?

I do not recommend HyperX Cloud / Cloud II / CloudX because they have a small soundstage, bad imaging and they sound very muddy with grainy bass. I wouldn't even use them for casual gaming. They have been surpassed by AKG K52, Philips SHP9500 and Superlux HD668B.

Ok so give OP the massdrop link or whatever link you can bring

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

17 hours ago, Tacanacy said:

• AKG K550
  • Beyerdynamic DT770
  • Shure SRH940
  • V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Thanks for the great reply and insight. I'm still looking through but the ones here seem to quite fit my needs.

However, out of the 7 you posted, which one would you say best would best fit my needs? If that's a little hard, how about one you would personally use?

What?

22 hours ago, SlayerL0rd said:

Thanks for the great reply and insight. I'm still looking through but the ones here seem to quite fit my needs.

However, out of the 7 you posted, which one would you say best would best fit my needs? If that's a little hard, how about one you would personally use?

I haven't used these headphones.