Dt 990 vs Dt 1990

UnknownUser

Which is best for gaming? I also listen to hip-hop and rap. 

7 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

Which is best for gaming? I also listen to hip-hop and rap. 

Uh I'd assume the DT 1990 are more expensive are they not? I think that is your bigger factor.

1 minute ago, AustinJ said:

Uh I'd assume the DT 1990 are more expensive are they not? I think that is your bigger factor.

Which is better though? 

Just now, UnknownUser said:

Which is better though? 

For gaming anything above 100 isn't going to make a huge difference in my opinion. I'd buy more for your music taste. Look at reviews a things see which favor your taste. You may want to look into some headphones that are more fun for those music genres.

10 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

For gaming anything above 100 isn't going to make a huge difference in my opinion. I'd buy more for your music taste. Look at reviews a things see which favor your taste. You may want to look into some headphones that are more fun for those music genres.

Are the 1990s good for the music I listen to? Also there's not many reviews for the 1990s on amazon.

4 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

Are the 1990s good for the music I listen to?

Haven't tried them or read too much up on them, but being beyerdynamic they are probably neutral sounding. You may find something like the Fostex TH610 more to your liking. I personally have the Fostex TH600 and perfer those over my DT770/DT880/DT990 line up.

4 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

Haven't tried them or read too much up on them, but being beyerdynamic they are probably neutral sounding. You may find something like the Fostex TH610 more to your liking. I personally have the Fostex TH600 and perfer those over my DT770/DT880/DT990 line up.

Out of the dt lineup you have which is your favorite?

5 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

Out of the dt lineup you have which is your favorite?

I mean they are all the same driver. It is really up to whether you like open or closed. DT770 are closed sealed headphones. They have more bass and retain the highs. The DT 880s are more open, but bass is less present and they are semi-sealed headphones. The DT 990 are rather similar to the DT880's but more of a v-shape sound. They are also semi-sealed. With semi-sealed you are going to hear sounds around you with sealed you are not.

For general purpose I'd perfer the DT880's. For more fun general purpose the DT 990's. For jamming out the DT770's.

3 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

For general purpose I'd perfer the DT880's. For more fun general purpose the DT 990's.

What do you mean by general purpose?

What do you mean by general purpose?

Watching YT, playing games, eating while watching things. Things that are not jamming out. If you have ever had your ears plugged and were annoyed with yourself eating or talking you may go with semi-sealed headphones like the DT880/DT990's. I am sensitive to noises like that so that is why I bring that point up.

3 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

Watching YT, playing games, eating while watching things. Things that are not jamming out. If you have ever had your ears plugged and were annoyed with yourself eating or talking you may go with semi-sealed headphones like the DT880/DT990's. I am sensitive to noises like that so that is why I bring that point up.

Ok I think the dt990s are best for me but I'm still looking at the 1990s

1 minute ago, UnknownUser said:

Ok I think the dt990s are best for me but I'm still looking at the 1990s

Out of curiosity what are your current headphones?

Beats solo 2

Buy the DT990's try them out. Get an urge to get something better then maybe the DT 1990's. You may find an amp/dac upgrade with the DT990's to be better than just the DT1990's by themselves.

6 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

Buy the DT990's try them out. Get an urge to get something better then maybe the DT 1990's. You may find an amp/dac upgrade with the DT990's to be better than just the DT1990's by themselves.

Ok thanks for replying! I think that's what I'll do.

990 is  a better value. 1990 are not really worth 6 hundo imo. That said, they probably sound better overall.

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

990 is  a better value. 1990 are not really worth 6 hundo imo. That said, they probably sound better overall.

Ok I'll look for something else in that price range eventually. I'm getting the 990s first anyways and when I find out the sound signature I like I'll buy more expensive ones.

I would say anything over USD300 is approaching that territory where you spend $$$ for marginal gain in quality / feature.

That said, I love my DT 1990 Pro. Its probably my new favourite pair of headphones.

6 minutes ago, StormEye said:

I would say anything over USD300 is approaching that territory where you spend $$$ for marginal gain in quality / feature.

That said, I love my DT 1990 Pro. Its probably my new favourite pair of headphones.

Can you tell me more about your 1990 and what it's good for? Also what do you mean by the first paragraph? I shouldn't spend more than 300? Why?

Can you tell me more about your 1990 and what it's good for? Also what do you mean by the first paragraph? I shouldn't spend more than 300? Why?

DT 1990 Pro has enough low end frequency for the "fun" factor and very clear high end frequency for clarity. There are reviews out there that mid can use some more love, but its good enough in that zone too. Its probably a very distinct but refined Beyerdynamic sound if you know and like it.

It is very comfortable, at least its the standard Beyerdynamic form factor.

It also has removable / replaceable cable option, which is a must imo for any higher end headphones you wish to keep for long term.

Now, as to my first sentence in previous post, Audio is one of those hobbies where you will be getting satisfaction that is on par with the $$$ you spend to a certain point. However, this is a hobby that actually requires a person to be able to hear the difference in the quality of sounds (essentially your genetics and environment you grew up in, along with experience in audio), have necessary setup and environment for listening, take care of hearing (aside from hearing loss due to age), etc. Aside from that, higher end audio setups are going to sell less to mass market and are only produced in small quantity, meaning the price/performance is at a significantly worse than at mass market price range of sub USD 300. Hence my explanation of USD300 point in my original post.

Oh... so pretty much the 1990 is the better version of the 990? How is this for gaming then? You never mentioned soundstage. And the 1990s are V-shaped headphones right?

1 hour ago, StormEye said:

DT 1990 Pro has enough low end frequency for the "fun" factor and very clear high end frequency for clarity. There are reviews out there that mid can use some more love, but its good enough in that zone too. Its probably a very distinct but refined Beyerdynamic sound if you know and like it.

It is very comfortable, at least its the standard Beyerdynamic form factor.

It also has removable / replaceable cable option, which is a must imo for any higher end headphones you wish to keep for long term.

Now, as to my first sentence in previous post, Audio is one of those hobbies where you will be getting satisfaction that is on par with the $$$ you spend to a certain point. However, this is a hobby that actually requires a person to be able to hear the difference in the quality of sounds (essentially your genetics and environment you grew up in, along with experience in audio), have necessary setup and environment for listening, take care of hearing (aside from hearing loss due to age), etc. Aside from that, higher end audio setups are going to sell less to mass market and are only produced in small quantity, meaning the price/performance is at a significantly worse than at mass market price range of sub USD 300. Hence my explanation of USD300 point in my original post.

Oh... so pretty much the 1990 is the better version of the 990? How is this for gaming then? You never mentioned soundstage. And the 1990s are V-shaped headphones right?

2 hours ago, UnknownUser said:

1990 is the refresh / upgrade of 990.

If you only have this, then its good for games. Well, you wouldn't have a choice. But, its quite decent for games actually.

Personally, however, I would not use it for competitive games, as I have other headsets specifically for the purpose.

Also, I would not use it for immersive single player experience as well, since NO HEADPHONE will beat Speakers + Subs.

Sound stage is very good and this helps if you are going to use this for the gaming purposes.

That said, its not the best one out there with largest sound stage.

No, its nowhere near the "V-Shape" that people like to throw that around. That "v-shaped" term gets thrown around way too loosely. It does not have that ridiculous lows or ridiculous highs to warrant this headphone v-shaped sound signature. Its more neutral compared to the real v-shaped headphones.

5 hours ago, StormEye said:

1990 is the refresh / upgrade of 990.

If you only have this, then its good for games. Well, you wouldn't have a choice. But, its quite decent for games actually.

Personally, however, I would not use it for competitive games, as I have other headsets specifically for the purpose.

Also, I would not use it for immersive single player experience as well, since NO HEADPHONE will beat Speakers + Subs.

Sound stage is very good and this helps if you are going to use this for the gaming purposes.

That said, its not the best one out there with largest sound stage.

No, its nowhere near the "V-Shape" that people like to throw that around. That "v-shaped" term gets thrown around way too loosely. It does not have that ridiculous lows or ridiculous highs to warrant this headphone v-shaped sound signature. Its more neutral compared to the real v-shaped headphones.

So I should buy the 990s for gaming then? Not the 1990s? Which do you think is best for games?(out of the headphones you have) I thought the 990s were some of the best for gaming. Also I don't have any speakers.

25 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

Which do you think is best for games?

That depends very much on the type of games you play and the type of player you are. If you are competitive and don't care about "accurate recreation of freuencies" (which you really shouldn't if you are competitive player), you would get something with large sound stage and tweak EQ to only emphasize the right frequencies the important sounds. Any decent gaming headset that the audio forum members so hate are good enough for the task and they add the benefit of not having to deal with extra mess of modmic and such (I am not a fan of modmic btw).

If you are the type that likes thumping bass, which may be the case as you stated you like hippop and rap, none of the headphones you mentioned will give you a great experience as they are not bass thumping monsters to your ear. Unless, of course, you are going to dedicate your brain to appreciate the non-bass heavy sounds. I mention this, as I have many friends who have absolutely no idea about quality audio and thinks anything bass pumping is great and anything not so are shit.

1 hour ago, UnknownUser said:

Which do you think is best for games?(out of the headphones you have)

My go-to headset for competitive gaming would be Audio Technica ATH-ADG1. Its got great sound stage and sound signature that are defaulted to tactically important sounds.

1 hour ago, UnknownUser said:

I thought the 990s were some of the best for gaming.

Its generally recommended (though, I have seen more Sennheiser 598 recommendations in this forum), but I have doubts its the best. Its price competitive, but definitely not the best. There are better headphones out there, especially when you start shoving more $$$$ at this department.

To be very frank, I do not think you even know what kind of sound you truly like yet. If you don't want to regret after purchasing any headphones, you really need to go and try out as many as you can. After figuring out what kind of sound you truly like, buy a headphone that matches your preference.