CPU vs GPU for budget build

Hi Guys! I'm a fairly new system builder (I've build one low budget system a few months ago) and I was wondering how i could improve on this build. This is a Christmas present for my brother and i have a budget of around 650 US Dollars. The foucus of this build is as the best 1080p gaming performance possible. Is it better to spend more on GPU, or should I upgrade CPU? Can some of you guys take a look and see what I can improve on? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kevindj360/saved/2VaZ

For gaming spend more on his GPU for sure.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Microcenter) 

Storage:  A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card:  MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 

Monitor:  Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $641.91

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-25 22:59 EST-0500)

This is literally my machine (specs in the profile) with an SSD. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Wow guys thanks for the fast reply. Im new to the form and im amazed at the great community.

That actually looks pretty good. If you put a FX 6300 you would have to get an AM3+ board so that might jack up the price. 700W is a little overkill unless you are going to upgrade or re purpose this build in the future.

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Microcenter) 
Memory:  G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($52.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Case:  Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Microcenter) 
Monitor:  Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $641.91

Would go with this.

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Microcenter) 
Storage:  A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor:  Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $641.91

This is literally my machine with an SSD. 

Gigabyte motherboards on am3+ are not that good as i was informed by @TheSLSAMG 

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

i think i would stick with the athlon because am3 is a dead socket and logan recommended the athlon its a 6800k without the igpu.

Gigabyte motherboards on am3+ are not that good as i was informed by @TheSLSAMG 

Seriously? the GA-990FXA-UD3 is one of, if not the best, AM3+ motherboard. I dont know what Clarkson was smoking...

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

i think i would stick with the athlon because am3 is a dead socket and logan recommended the athlon its a 6800k without the igpu.

Yes but you will get way better performance from the start not to mention he can get a 8320 later.

The FX-6300 is the best price/performance CPU out there. Where is all this AM3+ hate suddenly coming from...

Seriously? the GA-990FXA-UD3 is one of, if not the best, AM3+ motherboard. I dont know what The Clarkson was smoking...

The best, how about Asus rog board for the best.

The FX-6300 is the best price/performance CPU out there. Where is all this AM3+ hate suddenly coming from...

read it as am3+ sorry.

Seriously? the GA-990FXA-UD3 is one of, if not the best, AM3+ motherboard. I dont know what Clarkson was smoking...

I have a  GA-990FXA-UD3. I swapped it for a sabertooth and now I can actually overclock.

The best, how about Asus rog board for the best.

Performance in the two is the same. The ROG only has a Label and Audio going for it. Everyone should stop assuming that ROG boards are the best just because they are ROG boards. 

I have a  GA-990FXA-UD3. I swapped it for a sabertooth and now I can actually overclock.

Next time you copy and paste remember to remove the highlight and make it match the other text. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.