Why is Q9650 still so expensive?

Hi,

please, can someone explain to me why old Q9650 is still more expensive even than i5-3470 even though Q9650 is almos 2 times slower?

320zł = 85,73USD

387zł = 103,67USD

screenshot.73.png

screenshot.74.png

OBR CTM S.A.

Because it's top-of-the-line for LGA775, it hasn't been manufactured since 2009-2010 and some people just don't know how to price things.

"Oh, it's a quad-core, man. It's perfect for gaming!" *busts out a Q6600* "That'll be $200!"

And some people get it to overclock the snot out of it in oldschool competitions

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Practically the same reason you pay out the wazoo for legacy hardware in general. Sometimes it's carelessness when it comes to repricing inventory, other times it's straight up exploitation just in case someone needs an old component due to failure etc. Lots of people I know have had an emergency situation where something blew up but they couldn't replace the entire system. This is why, if you're trying to find something like this, you look to the used market. And if possible (because I'm not a fan of buying hardware sight unseen), do it through acquaintances. You'd be surprised what you can find asking around.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

With such prices on the market I am unable to justify an upgrade from Q9450 for around 15% better performance. Especially when my Q9450 costed my around 1/3 of Q9650 price a year ago.

OBR CTM S.A.

44 minutes ago, TheCynicalCris said:

With such prices on the market I am unable to justify an upgrade from Q9450 for around 15% better performance. Especially when my Q9450 costed my around 1/3 of Q9650 price a year ago.

status update much?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

I am looking at used Q9650, but yes the people who selled it they priced it at $69! I rather go for much cheaper Q8400

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 hour ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

status update much?

What? 

OBR CTM S.A.

2 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

just buy a used xeon and do the lga 771 > lga 775 mod

Yea, but I would need a different motherboard. As far as I know (and I might be wrong) on DFI Blood Iron P43-T34 motherboard it is unsupported. 

OBR CTM S.A.

One reason is that people are complete idiots that don't understand that value for the things they bought years ago goes down by a lot, especially when talking about PC parts.

I saw a guy a couple of months ago that was selling an ATI HD4830 1GB model for about 120$ or so, that card is about 10 years old at this point. And he was trying to justify the price by using some online store that still had one in stock and that store was selling it for 200$.

That card today is barely worth 30$.

Just now, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

One reason is that people are complete idiots that don't understand that value for the things they bought years ago goes down by a lot, especially when talking about PC parts.

I saw a guy a couple of months ago that was selling an ATI HD4830 1GB model for about 120$ or so, that card is about 10 years old at this point. And he was trying to justify the price by using some online store that still had one in stock and that store was selling it for 200$.

Agreed, but apparently all people selling those top of the line Core 2 Quads are idiots. There are a lot of moded Xeons in reasonable prices but I haven't found a single one reasonably priced Q9650.

OBR CTM S.A.

18 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Like this guy : http://maltapark.com/item.aspx?ItemID=5842344

1 hour ago, david cassar said:

Yep like that guy.

In a way I do understand some of these people, but most of them exaggerate.

I understand that they spend a lot of money when they got it, so now they want some of that money back (I sold a lot of hardware on the used market so I understand the need of wanting to make some of that money back), but that doesn't mean they should ask 80% to what they paid for that piece of hardware 10 years ago.