Poll: Which High End Case to Buy

r.perez

Looking to buy a high end case for water cooling build that will last years. Phanteks Enthoo Elite vs Caselabs SMA8 vs your suggestions...  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Looking to buy a high end case for water cooling build that will last years. Phanteks Enthoo Elite vs Caselabs SMA8 vs your suggestions...

• Buy the Phanteks Enthoo Elite
    • Buy the Caselabs SMA8
    • Wait for the Lian Li PC V3000 to be released
    • Other suggestions... please comment

Need the forums help on this one. My case is feeling a bit cramped and I want to upgrade for my upcoming birthday to something large and high quality that will last through years of builds with dual custom loops. 

As an aside: my favorite case I have ever owned was the Lian Li PC V1000. I also had a nice custom loop in a custom modded TJ07 from 2010-2012, but thought the TJ07 build quality was lacking in comparison to the V1000. I still love both cases, but feel like they are lacking a bit in modern features and prefer something not totally riveted together and don't want a case that needs rivets drilled to be dismantled and painted on the inside. 

Lian Li O11  Dynamic XL  | Ryzen 9 5900X (on pre-order) | ASUS ROG Strix X570 E | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600 64GB (4x16GB)| ADATA SX8 M.2 1TB | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD| Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSD| EVGA HX 850W | EK D5 PWM Pump | EK Quantum Distro Plate | EK Lignum CPU Block | Manjaro Gnome Edition

Personal Website

MasterBox 5, cheap, quality, aesthetic case, with all the features you want.

I voted for the Phanteks Enthoo Elite. I've got the Evolv and the build quality is amazing, so I'm assuming the Elite is up to par as well. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

SMA8 is an amazing case to build in and work on :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Definitely, need something in the full tower size range. I also haven't bought a cheap case like that in 13+ years. 

Lian Li O11  Dynamic XL  | Ryzen 9 5900X (on pre-order) | ASUS ROG Strix X570 E | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600 64GB (4x16GB)| ADATA SX8 M.2 1TB | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD| Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSD| EVGA HX 850W | EK D5 PWM Pump | EK Quantum Distro Plate | EK Lignum CPU Block | Manjaro Gnome Edition

Personal Website

Fractal Design Define R5, windowless. Quiet, great value, minimalistic design, great build quality and last, but not least, ease of use/ great to build in. :)

Corsair Air 540  good airflow , split chamber design & plenty of room

If OP has the budget for CaseLabs, a budget Fractal case is not in the same class lol

If you can afford it, get the SMA8! It's an amazing case, but it costs WAY too much :/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

If OP has the budget for CaseLabs, a budget Fractal case is not in the same class lol

I mean, that's not to say that it's not a good solid case that will last him a long time and work well for multiple cooling loops. 

5 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Sure it's not the same (price)class, but he asked for our suggestions. And maybe he would be happy to save a "few" bucks on the case and be still happy with it....

4 minutes ago, Pagi79 said:

Sure it's not the same (price)class, but he asked for our suggestions. And maybe he would be happy to save a "few" bucks on the case and be still happy with it....

Mooshi has a point. I definitely don't need to spend $700-$900 on a case, but something lower quality than say a Lian Li V1000 or Silverstone TJ07 is pretty much out of the question. I've built in cheap cases before and absolutely hate it. 

Personal Website

16 minutes ago, Loot said:

Corsair Air 540  good airflow , split chamber design & plenty of room

Kinda ugly IMO. I like the 900D okay, but Corsair cases are a bit too utilitarian for me. 

Personal Website

1 minute ago, r.perez said:

Mooshi has a point. I definitely don't need to spend $700-$900 on a case, but something lower quality than say a Lian Li V1000 or Silverstone TJ07 is pretty much out of the question. I've built in cheap cases before and absolutely hate it. 

Aside from one very slight QC issue that might have actually been from an issue in shipping, all of the Fractal Design cases I've built in have been great to work with. They're clean, have good cable management, they're well build in the inside, and they're built like a brick. I would be surprised if you were actually significantly disappointed after building in a Fractal Define R5. 

17 minutes ago, r.perez said:

I wouldn't call a $160 Case (in my Country) a cheap one and definitely not a low quality one. But it's your money, your choice. :) But i recommend you to check it out before you decide. Have fun building your new config. 

Just now, Pagi79 said:

I wouldn't call a $160 Case (in my Country) a cheap one and definitely not a low quality one. But it's your money, your choice. :) But i recommend you to check it out before you decide. Have fun building your new config. 

Why spend $3000+ on hardware and put it in a $160 case? Honestly though, I bought the Enthoo Evolv TG originally and have been relatively happy with the build quality, just want something considerably larger and more flexible. I looked at the R5 and it just does not look like it would suit my needs at all. Have you ever built a system in a case equivalent to a flagship Lian Li case? It's hard to go back after that. 

Personal Website

2 minutes ago, r.perez said:

Why spend $3000+ on hardware and put it in a $160 case? Honestly though, I bought the Enthoo Evolv TG originally and have been relatively happy with the build quality, just want something considerably larger and more flexible. I looked at the R5 and it just does not look like it would suit my needs at all. Have you ever built a system in a case equivalent to a flagship Lian Li case? It's hard to go back after that. 

No, i haven't built a system in such a case. i could buy one (or more), but i'm just that guy who always want's the best bang for the buck.I hope you understand that i only gave you my honest opinion. If you don't like it it is no problem for me. :) I end this conversation here and give others the opportunity to make some suggestions for you! :) 

I am leaning towards Caselabs at this point but still not 100% sure. I love the modular nature of the case. If I scratched the hell out of the mid plate drilling holes for WC pass through I can just get another mid plate! Is it safe to assume that any new front panel I/O tech that comes out in the next few years will be supported with a user swappable front plate? If I spend $700 on a case, I want to be able to use it without compromises for the next 5-7 years. 

I love the Phanteks elite as well but it's even more expensive and I'm worried it won't be as future proof as Case Labs. Any thoughts on that? 

Personal Website

The Caselabs SM8 offer the best customizability. Over the long term the ability to easily change configurations will extend its useful life. I particularly like the fact that front panel i/o can be configured to suit. This means that as new standard connectors emerge, the front panel can be easily updated.

The Phanteks Elite is a beautiful case but I hate front panels that have non-functional connectors. I suspect I would find it limiting picking components that would support all the connection on the Elite i/o panel.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, brob said:

The Caselabs SM8 offer the best customizability. Over the long term the ability to easily change configurations will extend its useful life. I particularly like the fact that front panel i/o can be configured to suit. This means that as new standard connectors emerge, the front panel can be easily updated.

The Phanteks Elite is a beautiful case but I hate front panels that have non-functional connectors. I suspect I would find it limiting picking components that would support all the connection on the Elite i/o panel.

Any word on whether Caselabs plans to support vertical GPU mounting in the future? That's a feature I love in the Lian Li PC 011 and upcoming V3000, Phanteks Elite and Primo. 

Personal Website

2 hours ago, r.perez said:

Any word on whether Caselabs plans to support vertical GPU mounting in the future? That's a feature I love in the Lian Li PC 011 and upcoming V3000, Phanteks Elite and Primo. 

No idea. Presumably one could construct a custom motherboard tray backplane.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

• 1 month later...

Tried them all bar none!...spent a small fortune looking for the right case..then I decided to take a chance on a costly Case Lab SMA8 ....I cant put into words how simple this idea is and who ever started this company must have played with meccano building toys, just simply the best idea and quality parts I have ever seen! and the fact you can design it your self as you build it (simple steps) is just amazing!! I can honestly say the price is high but so is the finish and longevity because this case will last a few processor/motherboard upgrades and still give you the ability to redesign again and again and it is all Aluminum construction = no rust + light weight.

I am of the opinion that this new generation of self build/design cases are here and it is a matter of time before these will be the standard for mid to high end systems.  Case Labs have a excellent product well worthy of a price tag to match but in the long run far cheaper when taking into account the longevity of the product and flexibility of redesign...Well done!