Extending WiFi over Ethernet

Akima

Hi all.

I'm not too savvy when it comes to WIFI set-ups so i thought it might be worth checking on here.

I've just moved into a new office - it's quite long and the wifi from the router doesn't reach the other end. However, they've got Ethernet plumbed in so I'm thinking of getting a wifi extender.

Just a little confused with the wording and terminology. Basically, i want to plug in an extender at the other end of the building, connected to the Ethernet network, to provide the staff with wifi. What I don't want to do is "repeat" the wifi signal.

I've been looking at something like this: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX2700.aspx#tab-idealuses

I see it has an Ethernet port but i dont know if that's to PROVIDE local Ethernet, or if its used for the method explained above.

Any experience?

That is because its an extender.

What u want is an Access point. That will be setup the same as the original WIFI

Did this in our offices too. Used one of these.

http://www.ebuyer.com/482523-asus-rt-n12e-n300-eco-series-wireless-router-rt-n12e

Plug it into your ethernet at the wall, login, change your passwords. Hey presto, Wi-fi where there was none!

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

You just need a AP (access point).

I would set the SSID the same and same password so when people go the the other area it will automatically reconnect.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

If you're running a business might I suggest Ubiquiti gear? I'm surprised nobody has done so yet because it's one of those solutions people post here for everything. This is one scenario where it actually makes a LOT of sense.

Get two UAP-AC Lite's and place one at either end of your office space. Set the SSID and PW, disable your old Wi-Fi. Not only will you get decent coverage/speed but you'll also get extra features that might come in handy. Like the ability to throttle bandwidth for certain devices/SSIDs or setting up a guest login page like you see for free Wi-Fi at restaurants.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing