Which programming program should i use

Go to solution Solved by Isvan,

The biggest thing I would say, is use which ever you like most. Most of the things you will learn while creating a game will then be carried over all platforms/programming langues. 

Hello 

I was thinking about to make a game because I have a lot of free time after school now.

And I'm asking if someone can tell me which programming program should I use Game Maker \ Processing, 

I have no knowledge on programming before my friend still learn me how to program he learning me Java on Processing but he said if I want to make a game Game Maker is a bit easier and weirder.

So I'm asking if someone know those two programming program's and can answer to my questshen which program is easier to program a game on it

{the game is Tower Defense} (if u have more idea's tell me)

11 minutes ago, Roye said:

Hello 

I was thinking about to make a game because I have a lot of free time after school now.

And I'm asking if someone can tell me which programming program should I use Game Maker \ Processing, 

I have no knowledge on programming before my friend still learn me how to program he learning me Java on Processing but he said if I want to make a game Game Maker is a bit easier and weirder.

So I'm asking if someone know those two programming program's and can answer to my questshen which program is easier to program a game on it

{the game is Tower Defense} (if u have more idea's tell me)

Go with Unity. It has well developed community and uses C# or JavaScript. If you are just starting to learn how to make games then you can learn any one of them and the difficulty level is not that much different, but if you can see yourself going more into game development then do yourself a favor and go for Unity since it has great support, even for bigger games ;)

Try, fail, learn, repeat...

The biggest thing I would say, is use which ever you like most. Most of the things you will learn while creating a game will then be carried over all platforms/programming langues. 

After you "learn" your first language you become aware of that the advice from @Isvan is the best. Also "learn" is really relative because in most decent languages you never stop learning.

Personally I'm not very good at programming or learning languages but I wanted to make games so I learned the heck out of Hammer Editor I/O system, and then Kismet from Unreal and then Blueprint from Unreal. Currently you can make most types of games only with blueprints, but that's only if you are as untalented and lazy as someone like me :P The thing is, you never stop learning, and that's why @Isvan advice is so good, just start learning what you need to make what you want in the fastest and easiest way (even if this sounds terrible), and everything else will come.

i really think you should get a solid understanding of programming and its fundamentals before even starting to touch game development.

I've been programing a few years now and created web services in c# right to multi threaded python scripts and i still wouldn't want to touch a game solo.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

i have been in C# and stuff like this 

just have never tried to program a game

not years only 5 month's 

On 04/07/2017 at 7:34 PM, zwirek2201 said:

Go with Unity. It has well developed community and uses C# or JavaScript. If you are just starting to learn how to make games then you can learn any one of them and the difficulty level is not that much different, but if you can see yourself going more into game development then do yourself a favor and go for Unity since it has great support, even for bigger games ;)

Please stop calling 'Unity Script' 'JavaScript', people waste time because of that misunderstanding 

2 hours ago, Clechay said:

Please stop calling 'Unity Script' 'JavaScript', people waste time because of that misunderstanding 

I actually didn't know that there's a difference (I use C# and only C#). What is the difference between the two? Syntax wise, it looks pretty similar. Would moving from JScript to UnityScript (or the other way around for that matter) be difficult?

Try, fail, learn, repeat...

3 hours ago, zwirek2201 said:

I actually didn't know that there's a difference (I use C# and only C#). What is the difference between the two? Syntax wise, it looks pretty similar. Would moving from JScript to UnityScript (or the other way around for that matter) be difficult?

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/UnityScript_versus_JavaScript

I'd suggest learning a language directly rather than with a game engine since it'd be less complex and thus whenever something would go wrong you'd have an easier time figuring out what when wrong and how everything works. Also a tower defense game may be a tad complex for an intro project. By the time you're done with it you'll have learned so much that you'll hate most of the code you've written for it and either end up abandoning it or wasting a bunch of time "fixing" it.

For that reason I think it's best to do many small projects that you can easily move on from rather than a couple large ones you get attached to when learning the basics of basically anything. Also keep in mind a smaller scaled project can always be bloated if you want to add more features while scaling down a large project tends to be more difficult, at least for me :D.

19 hours ago, ElfFriend said:

I'd suggest learning a language directly rather than with a game engine since it'd be less complex and thus whenever something would go wrong you'd have an easier time figuring out what when wrong and how everything works. Also a tower defense game may be a tad complex for an intro project. By the time you're done with it you'll have learned so much that you'll hate most of the code you've written for it and either end up abandoning it or wasting a bunch of time "fixing" it.

For that reason I think it's best to do many small projects that you can easily move on from rather than a couple large ones you get attached to when learning the basics of basically anything. Also keep in mind a smaller scaled project can always be bloated if you want to add more features while scaling down a large project tends to be more difficult, at least for me :D.

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with this.

I have learned so much "wasting" time fixing my projects! I also tried doing smaller ones, but it wasn't fun for me! Then I tried doing something bigger, and it was difficult, messy and in the end it even wasn't that good of a minigame, but believe me, I learned incredibly fast.

Of course there's one disadvantage to make larger projects: you really need stamina, but from what I've seen even against some of my friends, you really learn faster, and IMO is more fun.

Still I believe you should try to analyze how you feel and act consequently. If you feel like a larger project chokes you down, then do smaller ones, I guess my 2 cents is do not avoid larger projects only because the "standard" procedure is to make smaller ones. "Fail cheap and fast" is a great advice for fast learning, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go big, it means that you shouldn't  get too attached to any project or idea, be water my friend.