DRAM EZ DEBUG LED

jdbelcher1998
Go to solution Solved by jdbelcher1998,

Well, turns out I'm just a rookie (or a moron)—there was in fact one extra standoff under the mobo I missed. Don't know how I let that slip by but all is good now! 

Just finished building my first pc and I'm getting no signal to the monitor and the DRAM LED is lit on the EZ DEBUG section of the mobo. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

My build:

• MSI B350M-Gaming Pro
  • Ryzen 5 1600 (so I can't check by plugging in directly to mobo display ports)
  • Corsair CX550 (new gray ed.)
  • EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC
  • Team Dark 16GB ram (3000MHz) dual channel (there are only two DIMM slots on this mobo)—I have seen others using this RAM with this cpu and another MSI B350 chipset mobo (the PC mate) with no problem, but now I'm starting to wonder if this is a ram compatibility issue. Don't have any additional DDR4 ram to test.
  • Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass

What happens: 

• CPU cooler fan, system fans, and GPU fans come on along with LED indicators on mobo and all LED lights in case. Sys fans and cpu cooler fan seem to be running at 100% (system fans only have three pin connectors so they're running in PWM at full power I'm guessing?)...obviously I can't change fan speed since I can't get to BIOS. 
  • Another issue along with the DRAM debug led is that, once powered on, the reset button does not work (have checked polarity and reseated reset sw connector in front panel header three times), but I also cannot hard power off the computer by either pressing the power button or by holding it down—the computer will only power off when I turn off the power supply switch...which obviously is less than optimal. 

What I've done thus far: 

• Reconnected everything (not a full rebuild, but made sure all components were connected correctly and securely by unplugging and replugging everything back in, making sure components that click in place give a nice secure click, etc.).
  • Tried with only one ram stick in each slot, switching between them—same results.
  • Plugging my monitor (1440p) into displayport of GPU...both fully and securely plugged in.

Sucks so much getting everything together after working so hard at this and to see everything power on and look so beautiful only to fail so hard. Please help. Thanks!

Just a quick question. Have you tried powering up with no ram? Do you have a PC speaker hooked up? Does it beep? Does the LED code display something different when powered with no ram?

||Intel i7-7770k | MSi Z270 Carbon Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | Corsair 400C & RM750 PSU + H100i||

||Creative SB Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Samsung Evo 850 500GB | Seagate 2TB | Lots of red LED fans |Corsair K70 Black | Razer Deathadder Chroma|| 

||Dell 27" U2713HM | ASUS VP239H | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Win 10 Pro | Portable gaming made possible with MSI GT70 2OC and a bag to dump in||

~~Assembled with love and care~~

58 minutes ago, Syncrosys said:

Just a quick question. Have you tried powering up with no ram? Do you have a PC speaker hooked up? Does it beep? Does the LED code display something different when powered with no ram?

Have not tried powering on with no ram yet, can try that here in a bit. Unfortunately there's no case speaker lead that's included with this case....but I may have one in an old case...I'll check that out. I'll report back after I test the boot with no RAM. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, no extra speaker lead hanging around. Might just go ahead and pick one up somewhere since I have another open case front panel header on the mobo. 

Same results with no ram in the DIMM slots. DRAM led remains lit the whole time it's powered on and I have to use the PSU switch to power off. 

Should note the dram led is lit red while computer is powered on after every test...doesn't blink and never turns color. 

sounds like you may have found your issue. Get the motherboard replaced. 

||Intel i7-7770k | MSi Z270 Carbon Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | Corsair 400C & RM750 PSU + H100i||

||Creative SB Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Samsung Evo 850 500GB | Seagate 2TB | Lots of red LED fans |Corsair K70 Black | Razer Deathadder Chroma|| 

||Dell 27" U2713HM | ASUS VP239H | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Win 10 Pro | Portable gaming made possible with MSI GT70 2OC and a bag to dump in||

~~Assembled with love and care~~

Yeah? Isn't it still possible the RAM is the issue? I guess what I'm wondering is, How do I sort out whether it's the mobo or ram that's failing? Especially since the mobo manual says the debug led will light when the ram isn't detected or it's failed...meaning, wouldn't that light come on if the mobo were good and the ram bad both with ram installed and uninstalled? 

Ram is ruled out. Was able to take it somewhere today to switch out ram with two different ddr4, and both of which play well with Ryzen, but no dice. So it seems you were right that it was the mobo, @Syncrosys. Specifically the dimm slots. Guess I have to RMA this thing.  

Well, turns out I'm just a rookie (or a moron)—there was in fact one extra standoff under the mobo I missed. Don't know how I let that slip by but all is good now!