Picking a new phone.

Arcanekitten

I've recently being looking around for a new phone as my old Moto x 2014 has started getting a bit slow and lacks a fingerprint scanner. 

I use my phone mainly for watching video and movies and reading lots of articles online. Getting a phone with a good camera would also be nice to have as I would like to take some nice pictures as we are heading into the summer.

I really don't care about the selfie cam though and a good DAC would be nice (running HD 558) 

Got about 550 Euro to spend Max.

Have seen some good phones though but can't really decide.

LG G6             Love the Aspect ratio but is it worth it? also no Amoled.

Oneplus 5       Nice phone but nothing special. Has the Perf.

ZTE Axon 7    Very nice screen but hate the design and camera is lacking.

Any other phone maybe?

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

the description of your primary usage leads me to suggest the LG V20.  The prices have recently plummeted on it, and it is a very solid phone.  The ESS quad-DAC is about the best you will find in a phone, the 5.7" IPS display looks fantastic, and is in the normal 16:9 aspect ratio of most HD videos.  My wife has the LG G6, and while the screen is technically 5.7", it's a smaller screen for watching video.  The aspect ration makes it fit in the hand easier, however since most video is 16:9, not 18.1:9, you end up with black bars on each side of the videos, and really end up with about 5" video.  The Oneplus 5 is running an inverted Oneplus 3T screen, and there have already been reports of weird issues with that.  The Axon 7 is very good for a budget phone, but you already mentioned that it's not your favorite.

For your usage, I suggest looking at the LG V20.  Durable, designed for media consumption, very high quality DAC (especially with those headphones), and replaceable battery.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Axon 7s

No point getting the V20 anymore, when the G6 is better in every way (yes even the audio) 

The Axon 7s, what style of dual camera does it have? like extra wide or just for focus or telephoto?

You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

28 minutes ago, Gargone77 said:

the description of your primary usage leads me to suggest the LG V20.  The prices have recently plummeted on it, and it is a very solid phone.  The ESS quad-DAC is about the best you will find in a phone, the 5.7" IPS display looks fantastic, and is in the normal 16:9 aspect ratio of most HD videos.  My wife has the LG G6, and while the screen is technically 5.7", it's a smaller screen for watching video.  The aspect ration makes it fit in the hand easier, however since most video is 16:9, not 18.1:9, you end up with black bars on each side of the videos, and really end up with about 5" video.  The Oneplus 5 is running an inverted Oneplus 3T screen, and there have already been reports of weird issues with that.  The Axon 7 is very good for a budget phone, but you already mentioned that it's not your favorite.

For your usage, I suggest looking at the LG V20.  Durable, designed for media consumption, very high quality DAC (especially with those headphones), and replaceable battery.

V20 Is not available anymore where I live, somehow.

Also pricing was ridiculous when it was.

LG G6 costs 540 Oneplus 500 and Axon 420EUR.

I'm not sure if you'd get an iPhone, but if it's a camera you're looking for, iPhone's do some really well photography and iOS tends to be more stable than Android. However, If you're looking for an Android device, The Samsung Galaxy S8 seems great for your usage considering it has an almost complete screen on the front of the display. 

22 hours ago, Milo Thatch said:

I'm not sure if you'd get an iPhone, but if it's a camera you're looking for, iPhone's do some really well photography and iOS tends to be more stable than Android. However, If you're looking for an Android device, The Samsung Galaxy S8 seems great for your usage considering it has an almost complete screen on the front of the display. 

I'm an android guy so no IOS here ;) 

S8 is a great phone yeah but I don't like those curves, they feel like I need to babysit the phone and the light reflection is annoying. I ended up going with the G6 because it has a better build in my opinion and also a more natural fingerprint scanner. The IPS screen is really good and after a while if you are coming from an amoled you won't notice any more.

Thanks for the input though.

9 hours ago, Arcanekitten said:

I'm an android guy so no IOS here ;) 

S8 is a great phone yeah but I don't like those curves, they feel like I need to babysit the phone and the light reflection is annoying. I ended up going with the G6 because it has a better build in my opinion and also a more natural fingerprint scanner. The IPS screen is really good and after a while if you are coming from an amoled you won't notice any more.

Thanks for the input though.

Good choice! I have the G6 myself, I HAD the V20 before it but it was stolen after only having it for a couple of months. I was a Samsung fanboy previously, loved the Super Amoled screens, but since going with LG and its IPS screens,I find myself not missing Super Amoled at all. I watch a lot of movies, and the 18:9 screen is just awesome for movies (using 21:9 monitors at home so I'm a fan of Ultra-Wide screens). The HiFi Quad DAC on the V20 and G6 have won me over, I do not have to sit in front of my monitor/rigs to enjoy my full-sized cans, even a relatively hard to drive one like the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium (600 Ohm). 

IMG-20170706-WA0001_zpsigolluub.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

On 7/4/2017 at 8:42 AM, huilun02 said:

Axon 7s

No point getting the V20 anymore, when the G6 is better in every way (yes even the audio) 

Depends on where you live...in the US, the G6 didn't get the DAC, and got wireless charging instead.