RMAs

Billy_Mays

Do you have to pay the postage for RMAing stuff because I absolutely need to RMA my mobo because the owner before failed a bios update and I want to know if I need to pay anything for when I drop it off and do I use the same carrier that Newegg.ca used or can I use any Carrier I want to?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

3 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Do you have to pay the postage for RMAing stuff because I absolutely need to RMA my mobo because the owner before failed a bios update and I want to know if I need to pay anything for when I drop it off and do I use the same carrier that Newegg.ca used or can I use any Carrier I want to?

Where did you buy it from? I assume it's used?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Just now, vong said:

Where did you buy it from? I assume it's used?

Bought brand new was used and I got it from Newegg.ca

It depends on circumstances and the OEM.  You'll only know or sure by opening a ticket with the OEM and starting the RMA process.

That said, if it is JUST the BIOS, then it is possible to flash the EEPROM or you can even have replacement EEPROMs burned to order from services online which in some cases of shipping, could be cheaper than an RMA.

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Bought brand new was used and I got it from Newegg.ca

It would usually be the company paying for the return. Have you contacted Newegg about it? I've never used Newegg but most online sites I use give you a return label for postage.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

1 minute ago, vong said:

It would usually be the company paying for the return. Have you contacted Newegg about it? I've never used Newegg but most online sites I use give you a return label for postage.

I got the return label and I was wondering if I had to

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

It depends on circumstances and the OEM.  You'll only know or sure by opening a ticket with the OEM and starting the RMA process.

That said, if it is JUST the BIOS, then it is possible to flash the EEPROM or you can even have replacement EEPROMs burned to order from services online which in some cases of shipping, could be cheaper than an RMA.

I've heard stories from the ASUS customer service and they are bad so I don't want to deal with a long process 

I got the return label and I was wondering if I had to

Just stick it on the package and send it off. If it's got a bar code on it then they'll just scan it and give you receipt.

I've also done it myself using a BusPirate.  The EEPROM chip was pulled from the mobo after I did something...Stupid... And then I reflashed the EEPROM with the BusPirate.

FB_IMG_1488059297217.thumb.jpg.095873c5a7369003ccf74e3c69409a10.jpg

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I've also done it myself using a BusPirate.  The EEPROM chip was pulled from the mobo after I did something...Stupid... And then I reflashed the EEPROM with the BusPirate.

FB_IMG_1488059297217.thumb.jpg.095873c5a7369003ccf74e3c69409a10.jpg

Do you have to get something for it?

5 minutes ago, vong said:

Just stick it on the package and send it off. If it's got a bar code on it then they'll just scan it and give you receipt.

Ok it does

Do you have to get something for it?

Yes, you'd need a BusPirate or something similar that can program the EEPROM chip.

But let me make this clear, judging from your posts, you arn't... Uhh... 'skilled' enough to attempt that.

You can also just get people to do it for you and mail you the replacement EEPROM.  Here's an example of someone on eBay selling EEPROM chips for my Z77 board on it.  You'd just have to remove the old EEPROM and insert the new chip.

That said, you ALSO need to be SURE that's what's wrong with the mobo.  Frankly, I find it HIGHLY suspect that someone sold it when it simply needed to have it's BIOS re flashed by a means, at worse, involving an RMA.  In short, why sell it to you when they could have just RMAed it themselves?  So consider the possibility that you've been conned and the board is super-dead by user missuse and they just told you it needed 'just one quick fix' to convince you to buy it.

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yes, you'd need a BusPirate or something similar that can program the EEPROM chip.

But let me make this clear, judging from your posts, you arn't... Uhh... 'skilled' enough to attempt that.

You can also just get people to do it for you and mail you the replacement EEPROM.  Here's an example of someone on eBay selling EEPROM chips for my Z77 board on it.  You'd just have to remove the old EEPROM and insert the new chip.

That said, you ALSO need to be SURE that's what's wrong with the mobo.  Frankly, I find it HIGHLY suspect that someone sold it when it simply needed to have it's BIOS re flashed by a means, at worse, involving an RMA.  In short, why sell it to you when they could have just RMAed it themselves?  So consider the possibility that you've been conned and the board is super-dead by user missuse and they just told you it needed 'just one quick fix' to convince you to buy it.

I got it brand new and would a improper bios for my CPU would it show no signal at all? (Specs in signature)

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

I got it brand new and would a improper bios for my CPU would it show no signal at all? (Specs in signature)

Sorry, you've said you got it brand new, but it is used? Both things can't be true at the same time, so was it brand new, or was it used? It's an important distinction!

28 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

because the owner before failed a bios update

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

I got it brand new

How does this motherboard have an 'owner before' who failed a BIOS update yet you got it brand new....?  These are mutually exclusive situations.

15 hours ago, thedons1983 said:

Sorry, you've said you got it brand new, but it is used? Both things can't be true at the same time, so was it brand new, or was it used? It's an important distinction!

It was listed as brand new the packing had some tarnishing in it and it wasn't sealed (motherboard box)

15 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

How does this motherboard have an 'owner before' who failed a BIOS update yet you got it brand new....?  These are mutually exclusive situations.

I want to know what is wrong with it to prevent me from booting in my system because I really want to get off of my laptop that can't run CS:GO more than 35 fps

It was listed as brand new the packing had some tarnishing in it and it wasn't sealed (motherboard box)

But you also say that someone performed a failed BIOS update on it? If that's the case, then the MB is clearly a used item.

Just now, thedons1983 said:

But you also say that someone performed a failed BIOS update on it? If that's the case, then the MB is clearly a used item.

I don't know what's wrong with it and it doesn't post and signal with GPU and Igpu and this isn't good for my first rig 

15 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

Let's go over some things:

1) IT'S NOT FUCKING BRAND NEW.  So stop saying that.

2) Since the box was opened and it arrived DOA, this makes it NewEgg's problem not Asus, since they typically cover DOA's fort he first 30 days.  You should speak to NewEgg and say 'Hey, you sent me an Open Box unit instead of New and it arrived DOA.  WTF this is clearly unacceptable?'  only do so in as polite, clear, and concise way as possible.

15 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

I don't know what's wrong with it and it doesn't post and signal with GPU and Igpu and this isn't good for my first rig 

Do you ACTUALLY have any information to that TELLS you that the BIOS was flashed incorrectly or are you just GUESSING because it won't successfully complete POST?

Okay, you need to be more clear when you reply. And it would be helpful if you could actually answer when you are asked a question too. Where are you planning to send the motherboard? The seller, or the manafacturer? Did you buy it used (as in someone used it before you did), or did you buy it new?

Let's go over some things:

1) IT'S NOT FUCKING BRAND NEW.  So stop saying that.

2) Since the box was opened and it arrived DOA, this makes it NewEgg's problem not Asus, since they typically cover DOA's fort he first 30 days.  You should speak to NewEgg and say 'Hey, you sent me an Open Box unit instead of New and it arrived DOA.  WTF this is clearly unacceptable?'  only do so in as polite, clear, and concise way as possible.

Oh ok sometimes I don't make sense that much 

Do you ACTUALLY have any information to that TELLS you that the BIOS was flashed incorrectly or are you just GUESSING because it won't successfully complete POST?

I'm guessing because I can't put anything to why it doesn't work

15 hours ago, thedons1983 said:

Okay, you need to be more clear when you reply. And it would be helpful if you could actually answer when you are asked a question too. Where are you planning to send the motherboard? The seller, or the manafacturer? Did you buy it used (as in someone used it before you did), or did you buy it new?

The seller and I bought it brand new 

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132836&_ga=2.78720080.578017340.1499040741-1118498580.1486487666

The seller and I bought it brand new 

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132836&_ga=2.78720080.578017340.1499040741-1118498580.1486487666

That doesn't make sense! If the seller bought it brand new, and you bought it from them, then the motherboard is a USED item. It's used, not brand new. You also didn't answer my questions!

1 minute ago, thedons1983 said:

That doesn't make sense! If the seller bought it brand new, and you bought it from them, then the motherboard is a USED item. It's used, not brand new. You also didn't answer my questions!

I didn't buy it used I have the newegg box in my name and the products name also

I didn't buy it used I have the newegg box in my name and the products name also

So, how was an incorrect BIOS flashed to the MB before you bought it then? If someone has used the MB before you have then it is a used item, whatever you want to believe. You can surely see why I'm confused, as what you are saying just doesn't make sense. And again, you didn't answer my previous questions!

9 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

There's literally about a 100 reasons reasons as to why a motherboard wouldn't start.  They are the most complicated and interconnected part of a PC.

Anyway, I have an alternative THEORY as to why the motherboard doesn't start. Assuming your sig is accurate and considering how bad you are at providing information we must not ignore the possibility that it's inaccurate, but you have the following hardware:

AMD FX-6300

ASUS M5A78L-M

If we go to the Asus website we see the following: 

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/HelpDesk_CPU/

FX-6300(FD6300WMW6KHK),3.5GHz,6C,95W,rev.C0,AM3+ was not supported until firmware version 1401.

If we look at the list of BIOS versions available to download, we see that M5A78L-M/USB3 BIOS 1401 was released in Sept 2012.  Buuuuuut... There are older versions going back to M5A78L-M USB3 0211 BIOS which was released in May 2011, this means that that motherboard was on the market for 16 months before a firmware version that could support the FX-6300 was released.  So it is very possible that that motherboard was manufactured PRIOR to Sept 2012 and it has an older BIOS version onto it, rendering it incapable of booting the FX-6300.

Just now, thedons1983 said:

So, how was an incorrect BIOS flashed to the MB before you bought it then? If someone has used the MB before you have then it is a used item, whatever you want to believe. You can surely see why I'm confused, as what you are saying just doesn't make sense. And again, you didn't answer my previous questions!

I didn't buy it used local I got it from newegg and I am guessing why it's not working 

I didn't buy it used local I got it from newegg and I am guessing why it's not working 

Dude, I give up, you can't answer a simple question so you obviously don't want my help, so I'm out! Good luck with your "Brand new Newegg Used Motherboard"!