Thoughts on this build?

Hey folks,

This is my first water-cooled build with a price bracket of $1500 - $2000. I have already bought a Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti and a ThermalTake Tower 900 Case, and have been trying to decide on a cost effective components to build within my remaining budget of $1200.

I have thrown in a few parts that I could think of in the following link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/f2pTf8

I planning to use this water block on my GPU: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc1080-gtx-ti-aorus-nickel

I'm planning to use two 32" or 34" 1440p monitors, since I would be using the PC for gaming & coding. The big picture is to have a dual / single loop water cooled system, since my Case has a lot of space to move around. I would be okay expanding RAM from 16 Gigs to 32 Gigs in a few months, but my base components would be:

• Aoros 1080 Ti
  • TT Tower 900 Case
  • Intel 7700K CPU

Any advice and suggestions on changes to my part list, with a lower / cost effective option is greatly appreciated.

• That's awfully expensive for a 2TB HDD
  • At lower sizes like that I'd consider going with a 960 EVO, they're not much more
  • I don't believe that cooler is very good
  • Any reason for the huge wattage PSU?
  • Don't get the OEM version of Windows unless you don't plan on reusing it
  • Ryzen might be better unless you only game

Welcome to the forum!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What language(s) will you be coding with? Also, will you be gaming or coding more or is it an even balance?

37 minutes ago, dizmo said:
  • That's awfully expensive for a 2TB HDD
  • At lower sizes like that I'd consider going with a 960 EVO, they're not much more
  • I don't believe that cooler is very good
  • Any reason for the huge wattage PSU?
  • Don't get the OEM version of Windows unless you don't plan on reusing it
  • Ryzen might be better unless you only game

Welcome to the forum!

Hi dizmo!

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have started a modified listing:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3JMs7h

That's awfully expensive for a 2TB HDD

I modified the list to a Segate 2TB Barracuda ($79). The one that I had picked had a cache of 128Mb as compared to 64Mb. I'm not sure if that would matter for a SATA.

I don't believe that cooler is very good

Do you have a suggestion on the water cooler? I might be going water-cooled for GPU and air cooled / AIO for CPU.

Any reason for the huge wattage PSU?

I thought of going for a little more wattage, in case I think of going SLI after an year or so. I felt that the price difference between an ideal 850w and this one wasn't too huge.

Do you have any suggestions on the Motherboard that I picked? I was looking for maximum expansions and ports, but I found the one I picked a little expensive. Do you know of any motherboard that would have similar specs for a lower price?

24 minutes ago, dr lyo said:

What language(s) will you be coding with? Also, will you be gaming or coding more or is it an even balance?

I would be doing web development and mobile development (Android). I would most likely be using 60% for gaming & entertaining and 40% for coding.

Edited by Nigh74ury
Forgot to mention that I would also be doing a dual boot with Windows 10 and Linux.

28 minutes ago, Nigh74ury said:

Hi dizmo!

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have started a modified listing:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3JMs7h

-snip

I'd personally go with a Western Digital drive, but Seagate is also fine.

The cache is unlikely to be a noticeable difference, and if you find it lacking you can buy a 128GB SSD to use as cache and still pay less than the price of the other drive. ;)

I'd just loop them both with a case like that tbh. The CPU is cheap to cool compared to the GPU plus it'd complete the look.

It's not something I'd want to do in pieces though, so maybe save up a little longer so you can complete the build all at once.

850w is still more than enough for a SLI system.

For motherboards, just pick:

• aesthetics you want
  • brand you want
  • features you want

They're all the same, really. You can use PCPartPicker to narrow down the feature sets.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Actually, I prefer the WD as well. But I can't find any 2TB WD in that price bracket.

I was hoping to go dual-water cooled as well, but that might turn out to be expensive to begin with. But yeah, you're right, maybe I should do them both at once.

An 1080 Ti SLI would require an average of 750w on normal use, and can consume up to 900w when overclocked. So, I thought it was just safe to go with an 1000w, but it may turn out to be not so useful.

I took 30 minutes to compare 4 different range of z270 motherboards, and found almost do significant difference except their aesthetics. @_@

Edited by Nigh74ury
BTW, do you have any suggestions on going dual-water cooling? Any radiators, reservoirs, etc?