$100 Laptop (project, used)

Just yesterday, visited the recycling center looking for throwaway laptops, (as if I didn't have enough already) I was looking through the thinkpads, x230s x220s, etc etc all like $70 total. My mom says to me "Are you sure you want a thinkpad?" so I go to the other systems, lots of old HP stylus things that were total junk. But then looking through the piles of junk Dell laptops I find this. A Latitude e6440, now just seeing the core i7 sticker and the $40 tag of course I needed to test it. I ask to test it because they let you do that at this place before you buy. I put ram in it and plug it in (didn't know the battery was functional) it boots to bios, good enough for me. So I buy it for $40, $5 for a power brick, $10 for 8gb of ddr3 sodimms, and $18 on a 500gb hdd. Given it's a dell from ~2014, the hard drive didn't fit. I go to another machine and swap the hard drive and the 120gb ssd from it. When I get home, it will not boot for whatever reason (ram speed or something the 1333 stick wouldn't work at all only my 1600mhz ram would work. No big deal $5 loss. Install windows 7 and use the key that was included under the battery. Working good! Best part is, it has a core i7 4600m, 4gb ram, 120g ssd, and an AMD 8690m GPU. Not the best but could have done a whole lot worse. Also has a backlit keyboard. 

Recap of expenses : 

$40 parts laptop 

$5 working ram 

$5 bad ram (loss) 

$40 ssd 

not counting hdd because it wasn't used and is used in other system now. 

Benchmarks in a few minutes 

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

holy shit, that's a find. for $100 it's insane. 

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

holy shit, that's a find. for $100 it's insane. 

yes sir it is

better than those two OEM i bought with 1 charger and 1 battery for $170 total they had like i3 2120m and 320gb hdd. 

It's a steal at that price. 

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

1 minute ago, Sentryy said:

yes sir it is

better than those two OEM i bought with 1 charger and 1 battery for $170 total they had like i3 2120m and 320gb hdd. 

It's a steal at that price. 

for reference at $280AUD I got 3360M + 4GB, dropped 16GB of RAM into it and a 250GB SSD as well as external GPU

next upgrade is 3630qm or something

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

for reference at $280AUD I got 3360M + 4GB, dropped 16GB of RAM into it and a 250GB SSD as well as external GPU

make sure you can remove the cpu becuase in a lot of cases you can't 

Just now, Sentryy said:

make sure you can remove the cpu becuase in a lot of cases you can't 

yeah, yeah. shit's socketed. I know cause it's a common mod for this machine. 

idk

13 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

Just yesterday, visited the recycling center looking for throwaway laptops, (as if I didn't have enough already) I was looking through the thinkpads, x230s x220s, etc etc all like $70 total. My mom says to me "Are you sure you want a thinkpad?" so I go to the other systems, lots of old HP stylus things that were total junk. But then looking through the piles of junk Dell laptops I find this. A Latitude e6440, now just seeing the core i7 sticker and the $40 tag of course I needed to test it. I ask to test it because they let you do that at this place before you buy. I put ram in it and plug it in (didn't know the battery was functional) it boots to bios, good enough for me. So I buy it for $40, $5 for a power brick, $10 for 8gb of ddr3 sodimms, and $18 on a 500gb hdd. Given it's a dell from ~2014, the hard drive didn't fit. I go to another machine and swap the hard drive and the 120gb ssd from it. When I get home, it will not boot for whatever reason (ram speed or something the 1333 stick wouldn't work at all only my 1600mhz ram would work. No big deal $5 loss. Install windows 7 and use the key that was included under the battery. Working good! Best part is, it has a core i7 4600m, 4gb ram, 120g ssd, and an AMD 8690m GPU. Not the best but could have done a whole lot worse. Also has a backlit keyboard. 

Recap of expenses : 

$40 parts laptop 

$5 working ram 

$5 bad ram (loss) 

$40 ssd 

Holy shit thats a find even if it had bad ram

Means,the ThinkPad X220 would have been the last ThinkPad (true thinkpad) and would have been nice to see that as well,BUT A CORE i7 LAPTOP FOR $40? O M G,means $100 in reality for fully functional,but still it is worth like $500 ,I think its from 2013 now 2014 since some 2014 laptops had Broadwell CPU's,urs has a haswell,IDK,im a fool about mobile CPUS from intel,lol its a good laptop for daily use.AND GAMING BOIIIIIIIIIZ . xD

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

3360M? What laptop is it? My laptop also has a 3360M :P,I'll upgrade my laptop also soon to some sort of i7 (my plan) and 8 GB Ram (Acer says thats the max. that is supported) And my 120 GB SSD (not sure if ill buy one),External GPU... just forget it for me.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

yeah, yeah. shit's socketed. I know cause it's a common mod for this machine. 

Really? I though CPU's were soldered on since Broadwell

20 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

Recap of expenses : 

$40 parts laptop 

$5 working ram 

$5 bad ram (loss) 

$40 ssd 

Did'nt see it had a dedicated GPU,must have been a gaming laptop from 2013/14,but for $40,man just a parts machine is probably more like a price u can get a referbished Prime systems with e8400's! (-.-) huge find man.that laptop gotta be worth more than $800 when it was new!

5 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Holy shit thats a find even if it had bad ram

Means,the ThinkPad X220 would have been the last ThinkPad (true thinkpad) 

The new keyboard is nice. X240 was the worst out of them all, but it has improved. 

5 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

means $100 in reality for fully functional,but still it is worth like $500

not E6440, more around the $250 mark. it's a 2013 machine, and the GPU isn't that good. 

3 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

3360M? What laptop is it? My laptop also has a 3360M :P,I'll upgrade my laptop also soon to some sort of i7 (my plan) and 8 GB Ram (Acer says thats the max. that is supported) And my 120 GB SSD (not sure if ill buy one),External GPU... just forget it for me.

Elitebook 2570p. 12.5", socketed, dual HDD machine. I've got a 1TB HDD waiting to be thrown into the caddy when it arrives. :P 

idk

Just now, Gaurav S Rao said:

Really? I though CPU's were soldered on since Broadwell

Did'nt see it had a dedicated GPU,must have been a gaming laptop from 2013/14,but for $40,man just a parts machine is probably more like a price u can get a referbished Prime systems with e8400's! (-.-) huge find man.that laptop gotta be worth more than $800 when it was new!

It is a lattitude so kind of like a thinkpad 

buisness and enterprise focus i think 

not very gamery but it odes have a backlit keyboard

Just now, Droidbot said:

The new keyboard is nice. X240 was the worst out of them all, but it has improved. 

not E6440, more around the $250 mark. it's a 2013 machine. 

Elitebook 2570p. 12.5", socketed, dual HDD machine. I've got a 1TB HDD waiting to be thrown into the caddy when it arrives. :P 

Yeah,the classic IBM/lenovo ThinkPad last lived on the X230 sort of,u literaly drop a cup of coffee on the X240 and ,bam it is f*ked,the motherboard dead,while the X220 doesnt wanna die with 20 mugs/bottles/buckets/whatever of water spilled on it,I still have my R61,so some nostaligia [Great King Rat]

I know,but his model has a i7 and dedicated graphics,so i wonder how it can be less than $250.

Oh,ok.Nice machine

7 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

It is a lattitude so kind of like a thinkpad 

buisness and enterprise focus i think 

not very gamery but it odes have a backlit keyboard

Not as durable as the classic bulletproof thinkpads tho

Yes it is business and enterprise grade machines

Dedicated graphics so light gaming

3 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Not as durable as the classic bulletproof thinkpads tho

Yes it is business and enterprise grade machines

Dedicated graphics so light gaming

maybe next time I will get an x220 or x230. 

They're durable machines?

Just now, Sentryy said:

maybe next time I will get an x220 or x230. 

They're durable machines?

Of course

Click Here and U will see how:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFVonOY2yPmd2qjl1EIToMw

Get a X220,best thinkpad with classic design,not sure about the X230,definately not X240

8 hours ago, Kirist said:

100$ for used laptop :D

it doesn't sound as good as it was

looking at the dell service tag it costed a solid $1000+ new in dec 2014