good wireless-AC access point (not router)

bcredeur97

anyone know of any good wireless-AC access points that aren't too expensive.

I just need it to be super reliable and good at handling 15-20 clients at once.  maybe more later.

I know there's some companies who have those access points that work super well... just can't remember who. I want to say Linus has showed it in some of his videos before. There may also be newer stuff too by now since it's been a while since he had a video about that.

I'm going to have a pfsense box for a router. Got that all planned out. Just thinking about wireless access right now, the old consumer wireless-N routers aren't going to cut it (we're about to upgrade to gigabit internet too)

upgrade all the things!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

A Unifi AC AP, from ubiquiti.
They have a few different models for AC, a lite version that's cheaper, a base version, and a PRO version that adds a lot of features for (imo) a very modest price increase vs the base model. 
We use a mix of their older N APs, and have had the AC PRO AP for 6 months or so, it's great. 

Seems they have the lite, pro, and long range models now, instead of a base one.
Cheaper than many consumer grade AC routers out there.
$128 for the pro model - https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1498753466&sr=1-3&keywords=ubiquiti

Any AP that will be happy with 15-20 clients all the time will be more than $100 anyway. 

13 minutes ago, cnerde said:

Seems they have the lite, pro, and long range models now, instead of a base one.
Cheaper than many consumer grade AC routers out there.
$128 for the pro model - https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1498753466&sr=1-3&keywords=ubiquiti

Any AP that will be happy with 15-20 clients all the time will be more than $100 anyway. 

do i absolutely need to use PoE with all of those? Or is there one that has a normal power setup?

I see the advantage of PoE just not sure about it yet.

How low-cost can I get a PoE injector? now you got me thinking about the future of like security cameras and stuff lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

do i absolutely need to use PoE with all of those? Or is there one that has a normal power setup?

I see the advantage of PoE just not sure about it yet.

How low-cost can I get a PoE injector? now you got me thinking about the future of like security cameras and stuff lol

Yes, there is no power plug on it. Only ethernet in, and on the pro model, 1 gigabit out as well (it has an internal switch)

If you buy them individually (like that link) they come with the PoE injector :)
Sometimes 3 packs on Amazon don't come with it, most of the other purchasing options do. 

For us, it means having the APs in the perfect place, yet still powering them from our massive UPS in the server closet. - As well as only having to worry about one cord, and being able to place it on the ceiling away from power.

4 minutes ago, cnerde said:

Yes, there is no power plug on it. Only ethernet in, and on the pro model, 1 gigabit out as well (it has an internal switch)

If you buy them individually (like that link) they come with the PoE injector :)
Sometimes 3 packs on Amazon don't come with it, most of the other purchasing options do. 

For us, it means having the APs in the perfect place, yet still powering them from our massive UPS in the server closet. - As well as only having to worry about one cord, and being able to place it on the ceiling away from power.

hmm right now we have two access points on each side of our 2500 sq foot home. (pretty open floor plan)..

this may allow us to only have 1AP in the middle instead... this might improve things and simplification is always good.

didnt realize it came with a PoE injector. Nice.

ill have to do some research and compare all 3 models (lite, base, pro) and see what we actually need (prob just get pro) and then ill have to figure out where to put it. I hate crawling through attics to run cables lol

Spoiler

-wrong thread- whoops

Spoiler