7700k or 1700x

Go to solution Solved by typographie,

I'd agree that Ryzen 7 is probably the more compelling option at this point, but I'd say to go with the 1700 rather than the 1700X. The difference in performance, in my opinion, does not justify the difference in price. And if you plan to overclock, you're likely to end up at roughly the same clock speed anyway.

I will upgrade my current PC soon.

I can't decide which one to get yet.

7700k or 1700x

this will serve as my workstation as a web developer will use softwares like Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, a lot of Google chrome and IDE.

Also this is a gaming RIG.

Ryzen  5 3600 | ASUS Strix B450i Strix | G-Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3200mhz

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb | NZXT H200i | NZXT x52 | Corsair RM650x

1 minute ago, RyeIII said:

I will upgrade my current PC soon.

I can't decide which one to get yet.

7700k or 1700x

this will serve as my workstation as a web developer will use softwares like Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, a lot of Google chrome and IDE.

Also this is a gaming RIG.

if you play Simulator games then go for the Intel variant, otherwise it probably wont matter

7700k best for gaming,1700x is better at productivity while sacrificing 10 or more fps 

Go Intel!

photoshop.jpg.391667611b653d856c77460274549003.jpg

I would go 1700x for the "future proofing." It's got 8 cores which is twice that of the 7700k. With games now optimized for 8 cores because of the consoles it makes sense. 

Honestly I think you could just flip a coin, there is such little difference between them.

Having said that, unless you can make use of those extra Ryzen cores I'd probably go for the slightly faster single threaded performance of the intel chips.

1 hour ago, Zaki_Owais said:

7700k best for gaming,1700x is better at productivity while sacrificing 10 or more fps 

1 hour ago, HelpMeOrIWillSuffer said:

1700x is the way to go for workstations.

1 hour ago, VivashTech said:

1700x for upgrade path and multiple core operation. overall very similar in performance processors

DEPENDS. If you use AVX or Adobe, Ryzen isn't a the best option

photoshop.jpg

Handbrake.png

48 minutes ago, bomerr said:

I would go 1700x for the "future proofing." It's got 8 cores which is twice that of the 7700k. With games now optimized for 8 cores because of the consoles it makes sense. 

Optimized for 8 threads, not cores, this is why the 7700K is the best gaming CPU

@RyeIII Get a 7700K or a 7800X

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Get a 7700K or a 7800X

Thanks! I wil do more research then.

Ryzen  5 3600 | ASUS Strix B450i Strix | G-Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3200mhz

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb | NZXT H200i | NZXT x52 | Corsair RM650x

2 minutes ago, RyeIII said:

Thanks! I wil do more research then.

Puget systems has a crap ton of Adobe benchmarks. ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Puget systems has a crap ton of Adobe benchmarks. ;)

but no Illustrator :(

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

but no Illustrator :(

Yeah, but in general, Adobe is single threaded, so the 7700K will probably be able to outperform the 1700 in Illustrator :)

43 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

DEPENDS. If you use AVX or Adobe, Ryzen isn't a the best option

photoshop.jpg

Handbrake.png

Optimized for 8 threads, not cores, this is why the 7700K is the best gaming CPU

Yeah they're great for gaming but 1700 would be "future proofing" which I don't really care about but y'know go with the trend. And I'd always go for 1700 over intel now.

Just now, HelpMeOrIWillSuffer said:

Yeah they're great for gaming but 1700 would be "future proofing" which I don't really care about but y'know go with the trend. And I'd always go for 1700 over intel now.

Hanbrake and photoshop aren't games LOL.

And "go with a trend"? Please, that's BS

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

#GoWithTheTrend and  I never said photoshop and handbrake were games, where'd you get that.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Also he asked for a 1700x vs 7700k and 1700x was better on handbrake

Just now, HelpMeOrIWillSuffer said:

I never said photoshop and handbrake were games, where'd you get that.

Well, I linked photoshop graphs, which show that the 7700K is 16-23% better than the 1700 in Photoshop

photoshop.jpg

And then you said:

5 minutes ago, HelpMeOrIWillSuffer said:

Yeah they're great for gaming

1 minute ago, HelpMeOrIWillSuffer said:

Also he asked for a 1700x vs 7700k and 1700x was better on handbrake

Take a look at the 7800X's performance ;)

35 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Consoles are 8 cores, not 8 threads. 4C/8T is not as good as 8C, assuming IPC is similar. 

The 7700k is better in older titles that weren't optimized for systems with more than 4 cores. But because consoles are now 8 cores, devs are forced to optimized games for more than 4 cores. You're more likely to be "future proof" with a Ryzan CPU. I think if someone is spending $450+ for a CPU + Mobo then it makes sense to get the CPU that has higher performance ceiling. 

6 minutes ago, bomerr said:

Consoles are 8 cores, not 8 threads. 4C/8T is not as good as 8C, assuming IPC is similar. 

8C/8T with shit IPC, this is why games really like the i7's Hyperthreads

6 minutes ago, bomerr said:

The 7700k is better in older titles that weren't optimized for systems with more than 4 cores. But because consoles are now 8 cores, devs are forced to optimized games for more than 4 threads. You're more likely to be "future proof" with a Ryzan CPU. I think if someone is spending $450+ for a CPU + Mobo then it makes sense to get the CPU that has higher performance ceiling. 

You do know that Joker's benchmarks are biased AF, right? If you want an unbiased comparison, take a look at this:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2865-ryzen-revisit-ram-overclock-windows-update-efi-updates

10 minutes ago, bomerr said:

But because consoles are now 8 cores, devs are forced to optimized games for more than 4 cores.

Why does this keep coming up as if it's a new thing? The Xbox One and PS4 back in 2013 had 8 cores each, and this argument got brought up way back then as an excuse for everyone to go out and buy FX-8350's.

In reality, developers have no issue optimizing their games around the kind of hardware mainstream PC gamers actually own (meaning i3's and i5's, to say nothing of i7's or Ryzen), as long as they have the budget and publisher support to actually put any effort into the PC release at all.

9 minutes ago, typographie said:

Why does this keep coming up as if it's a new thing? The Xbox One and PS4 back in 2013 had 8 cores each, and this argument got brought up way back then as an excuse for everyone to go out and buy FX-8350's.

In reality, developers have no issue optimizing their games around the kind of hardware mainstream PC gamers actually own (meaning i3's and i5's, to say nothing of i7's or Ryzen), as long as they have the budget and publisher support to actually put any effort into the PC release at all.

13 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

8C/8T with shit IPC, this is why games really like the i7's Hyperthreads

You do know that Joker's benchmarks are biased AF, right? If you want an unbiased comparison, take a look at this:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2865-ryzen-revisit-ram-overclock-windows-update-efi-updates

okay get the 7700k 

Yea you'd want to go with Ryzen for this amount of multi tasking. 

Clock speed isn't gonna save your ass when you have many apps running simultaneously.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'd agree that Ryzen 7 is probably the more compelling option at this point, but I'd say to go with the 1700 rather than the 1700X. The difference in performance, in my opinion, does not justify the difference in price. And if you plan to overclock, you're likely to end up at roughly the same clock speed anyway.