Sell or Mine?

Hi so i have GTX 1070 (which i bought last january for around 356usd) so now many people looking for cards to use mining and someone want to deal my gtx 1070 for 415.35.
the problem is i was thinking of mining (as of now i'm mining earning 4$/day) because electricity for me is free, i'm working on a company which pays for it.
should i give the gtx 1070 or would i benefit a lot from mining? need help making decision :o 

Since electricity is free, you should keep mining, tbh.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just now, revsilverspine said:

Since electricity is free, you should keep mining, tbh.

I'm really confuse, because most people says the eth price is going to go back down anytime soon? and thinking the profit that i will make if i just keep the card vs the profit i will make if i sell it. 

Do you need that $400 today? That could help answer your question

My plan is to buy another card (likely gtx 1080) but its out of stock and nowhere to get. 

6 minutes ago, Ranz said:

Hi so i have GTX 1070 (which i bought last january for around 356usd) so now many people looking for cards to use mining and someone want to deal my gtx 1070 for 415.35.
the problem is i was thinking of mining (as of now i'm mining earning 4$/day) because electricity for me is free, i'm working on a company which pays for it.
should i give the gtx 1070 or would i benefit a lot from mining? need help making decision :o 

If electricity is free for you, will the long term be worth it? What else would you do with the rig if not play games?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Honestly, at today's point I would NOT invest in mining unless you can find GPUs at a very cheap price. The difficulty is rising daily and would turn your ROI from 3 months to more like 5-6.

$4 day to stress the card out. ?

Even if the electricity isn't costing *you* anything, someone is still paying for it. Depending on how that electricity is made, there's potential environmental impact.

That's around half what a minimum wage employee makes an hour. I'm not seeing the appeal.

Just now, Ranz said:

I'm really confuse, because most people says the eth price is going to go back down anytime soon? and thinking the profit that i will make if i just keep the card vs the profit i will make if i sell it. 

ETH could be worthless in the next 5 minutes or it could be worth $1000/unit. That's how all cryptocurrencies work. Nobody can predict anything for certain. Everything we say is going to happen is usually an educated guess based on trend, mining rate and hashrate tops.

You'd be earning $60 by selling the card, which is 2 weeks worth of mining. If the price hovers around the current value, you'll be making more than that $60

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, Ranz said:

My plan is to buy another card (likely gtx 1080) but its out of stock and nowhere to get. 

Since your electric is free than you have nothing to lose from mining. If you want to actually use your pc and only plan to mine so you can buy the gtx 1080 than maybe mine a little bit now and see how gpu prices will be later.

40 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

$4 day to stress the card out. ?

Even if the electricity isn't costing *you* anything, someone is still paying for it. Depending on how that electricity is made, there's potential environmental impact.

That's around half what a minimum wage employee makes an hour. I'm not seeing the appeal.

4*30= $120/Month. Whilst this is obviously not a full time job its good side money especially if he isn't paying for the electricity. If he sells the card he makes $60 so 2 weeks of mining. Btw even if ETH crashes through the floor it won't stop the trend there are plenty of alt coins you can mine and be paid in bitcoin. You can even use programs to switch algorithm automatically to keep profits high. Nicehash is a common example but their charges are high, something like Nemosminer is good option for Nvidia cards and has lower fees than Nicehash.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

4*30= $120/Month. Whilst this is obviously not a full time job its good side money especially if he isn't paying for the electricity. If he sells the card he makes $60 so 2 weeks of mining. Btw even if ETH crashes through the floor it won't stop the trend there are plenty of alt coins you can mine and be paid in bitcoin. You can even use programs to switch algorithm automatically to keep profits high. Nicehash is a common example but their charges are high, something like Nemosminer is good option for Nvidia cards and has lower fees than Nicehash.

It's feasible as passive income so long as the pc itself isn't being stressed constantly where OP can use the system for regular task when not mining.

If OP has a job, can actually use their PC and has no electricity worries, then yeah. I guess it depends on worth of time and effort. Like for me, I get bonuses at my job based off performance and my bonus every 2nd check of the month is typically 200-400 extra. That would net more without electricity spiking and stressing the 1070 just performing well haha

56 minutes ago, Ranz said:

At that rate you'd have the $400 in 100 days, which is just over 3 months, so keep the card and mine with it.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

It's feasible as passive income so long as the pc itself isn't being stressed constantly where OP can use the system for regular task when not mining.

If OP has a job, can actually use their PC and has no electricity worries, then yeah. I guess it depends on worth of time and effort. Like for me, I get bonuses at my job based off performance and my bonus every 2nd check of the month is typically 200-400 extra. That would net more without electricity spiking and stressing the 1070 just performing well haha

Imagine your bonus + $120 though :P passive is passive and the effort is minimal. Set up takes under 10 mins and crashes are rare. Also this won't kill your hardware if you smart about what you do. Make sure the GPU has airflow and give it a beefier fan curve (afterall you aren't home so noise is not a factor). If you stay under 70 degrees you are fine to go 24/7.

EDIT: By crashes I mean the mining software stops/closes. PC doesn't actually crash.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Imagine your bonus + $120 though :P passive is passive and the effort is minimal. Set up takes under 10 mins and crashes are rare. Also this won't kill your hardware if you smart about what you do. Make sure the GPU has airflow and give it a beefier fan curve (afterall you aren't home so noise is not a factor). If you stay under 70 degrees you are fine to go 24/7.

Haha maybe. I used to mine and have been giving mining the cold shoulder lately, but part of me is a little curious. Unfortunately for me, I don't exactly have free electricity and live in Arizona. My girlfriend is at home and I can't imagine the room would feel nice with my card maxing out for 9 hours. Especially since this room in particular doesn't have working AC.

9 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

At that rate you'd have the $400 in 100 days, which is just over 3 months, so keep the card and mine with it.

actually i was thinking about that too. but i am still scared what if the rate only good for 1 month and the next month goes down really so fast like how fast it goes up.

9 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

EDIT: By crashes I mean the mining software stops/closes. PC doesn't actually crash.

Hi my temps are around 60c but never really goes 70c maybe max of 68c
I don't usually do heavy works now also i have 2 working spare unit so can still work while mining.
anyway id like to divert the topic. you said the hardware won't die if i know what i'm doing. I just want to ask can i lower the power usage while overclocking the memory? i've also down clock the core clock.
I'm really sorry if i'm doing wrong i'm looking forward teaching me the right mix of the settings