Switching from Dedicated to Integrated Graphics

I've got work to do between two PCs. Specifically, I want to transplant an nVidia GT 630 from the older one. The PCs are both HP pre-builts pulled from an office: a dc7800 CMT and an 8200 Elite. After the card was installed in the 7800, the integrated drivers were uninstalled. Now I've found what the HP website claims is the driver installer and I'm wondering about the order in which things should be done. Would it be safe to just install the integrated graphics driver, even though I already have nVidia drivers running?

integrated graphics driver should not affect your current driver, but i think if its installed after nvidia you wont get optimus settings i think (where you can set a program to use dedicated or integrated via the context menu)
to be sure, just uninstall the nvidia drivers, install the intel ones and then reinstall nvidia, but i don't think it should cause any issues

and if you are able, try to get "clean" drivers from the manufacturers (intel.com for intel drivers, nvidia for gpu drivers etc) as hp (and other manufacturers) does not always use the newest drivers, and often brand them.

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

So, should I uninstall the nVidia drivers from the old computer while it's outputting video from that card? Also, would Safe Mode make a difference?

EDIT: I've run the installer for the Intel drivers and it spit out an error saying that my PC doesn't meet the requirements, which should be impossible because it was meant for this exact model.

Edited by Edercina
Added information

Here's the error in question, sorry for the double post. I've downloaded a similar installer from the Intel webpage. I haven't mentioned it, but it's for the Q35 Express chipset. After it extracts the needed files, it shows this error instead of running the graphics driver setup.

INTEL DRIVER ERROR.png

5 minutes ago, Edercina said:

Here's the error in question, sorry for the double post. I've downloaded a similar installer from the Intel webpage. I haven't mentioned it, but it's for the Q35 Express chipset. After it extracts the needed files, it shows this error instead of running the graphics driver setup.

INTEL DRIVER ERROR.png

does the intel gpu show up in device manager? it might get deactivated if a dedicated gpu gets installed
what does your bios settings say?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

In BIOS, I couldn't find any video settings.

Windows XP doesn't have Device Manager, but System Information tells me that I/O Ports 0x000003C0-0x000003DF,  0x000003B0-0x000003BB, memory addresses 0xE8000000-0xF1FFFFFF, 0xF2000000-0xF30FFFFF, 0xA0000-0xBFFFF and IRQ 16 are shared between the Q35 chipset and the GT 630.

6 minutes ago, Edercina said:

In BIOS, I couldn't find any video settings.

Windows XP doesn't have Device Manager, but System Information tells me that I/O Ports 0x000003C0-0x000003DF,  0x000003B0-0x000003BB, memory addresses 0xE8000000-0xF1FFFFFF, 0xF2000000-0xF30FFFFF, 0xA0000-0xBFFFF and IRQ 16 are shared between the Q35 chipset and the GT 630.

it does indeed have device manager, unless you are running some streamlined version that removes handy tools like this..

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/snap_dev_mgr.mspx?mfr=true

Spoiler

To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Oh, that Device Manager! Sorry, I mixed it up with one of the performance tools from Vista. Only the GT 630 is listed under "Display adapters".

OK, but how is it supposed to get detected if connecting the integrated graphics output to the monitor doesn't actually transfer any signal? Also, would the graphics card even output video if I uninstalled the driver?

7 hours ago, Edercina said:

OK, but how is it supposed to get detected if connecting the integrated graphics output to the monitor doesn't actually transfer any signal? Also, would the graphics card even output video if I uninstalled the driver?

to be on the safe side, just use DDU to clean out all our drivers (might have to use an older version for xp if it doesn't work) then install integrated first and nvidia second, though, seing as it's a desktop, it shouldn't matter, only laptops with optimus technology (switching between integrated and dedicated when needed for battery performance) should be done like that, and even then, i don't think it matters as long as both drivers are compatible

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

I'll try it out. Once again, would the card output video after I uninstall the drivers? Would it also work after a reboot?

9 hours ago, Edercina said:

I'll try it out. Once again, would the card output video after I uninstall the drivers? Would it also work after a reboot?

yes, display out will still work, it will use microsoft drivers built in to windows, i think its the same drivers used in safemode, as safemode doesn't load graphics card drivers in case your drivers aren't working in normal windows.

remember to quote those you reply as they won't get notifications unless they subscribe to the thread.
also remember to mark posts as solution given if your problem is resolved

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler