3200Mhz CL14 vs 3200Mhz CL16

Hello.

Is there any noticeable difference between CL14 and CL16? The kits I am talking about are: F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR and F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR.

I am going to be using the ryzen 7 1700 with the Crosshair VI Hero.

The difference in price is 119$, is it worth the difference?

This doesn't have anything to do with the CL, but how is the rgb problem currently?

Thank you in advance and if I was unclear on anything just ask.

If your paying a extra 119 get the cheaper one

My life

18 minutes ago, DekaRanger said:

The difference in price is 119$, is it worth the difference?

Not worth it at that price delta!

You can follow @MageTank's RAM overclocking guide to reduce the overall timings manually, but XMP (or whatever AMD calls it) should be good on those sticks. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Not worth it at that price delta!

You can follow @MageTank's RAM overclocking guide to reduce the overall timings manually, but XMP (or whatever AMD calls it) should be good on those sticks. 

My guide covers a lot of details, but Ryzen is still the wild west of memory overclocking. Knowing how to overclock ram, and knowing how to overclock ram on Ryzen are two entirely different things. I took my validated 3200 C14 kit (runs at 3600 C14-14-14-28-2 on my Intel rig) and failed so miserably on Ryzen. In fact, there is a 3 hour video on Youtube of me failing to OC Ryzen's ram, and basically giving up at the end of it.

With Ryzen, you have to get IC's that are validated to work on the platform. Micron is an absolute pain, and even real Samsung B-Die is difficult if your motherboard is awful (ASUS B350 Plus was a terrible experience to say the least). 

@DekaRanger if you want a kit that is going to work on Ryzen with the least amount of headache involved, buy a kit that is listed under your boards memory QVL. Trying to make any random kit work, is only going to end in suffering. Can it be done? Sure, I managed to make 3200 C14 post, but it was far more effort than what it was worth. Even with AGESA 1.0.0.6, they failed to give us 2DPC/Multi-Rank timings and tREFI, so there is still a lot of training issues with the IMC that we cannot currently control. Stick to single rank kits (yes, that means no rank-interleaving) and stick with 1DPC (2 DIMM's populated at most). 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

36 minutes ago, MageTank said:

My guide covers a lot of details, but Ryzen is still the wild west of memory overclocking. Knowing how to overclock ram, and knowing how to overclock ram on Ryzen are two entirely different things. I took my validated 3200 C14 kit (runs at 3600 C14-14-14-28-2 on my Intel rig) and failed so miserably on Ryzen. In fact, there is a 3 hour video on Youtube of me failing to OC Ryzen's ram, and basically giving up at the end of it.

With Ryzen, you have to get IC's that are validated to work on the platform. Micron is an absolute pain, and even real Samsung B-Die is difficult if your motherboard is awful (ASUS B350 Plus was a terrible experience to say the least). 

@DekaRanger if you want a kit that is going to work on Ryzen with the least amount of headache involved, buy a kit that is listed under your boards memory QVL. Trying to make any random kit work, is only going to end in suffering. Can it be done? Sure, I managed to make 3200 C14 post, but it was far more effort than what it was worth. Even with AGESA 1.0.0.6, they failed to give us 2DPC/Multi-Rank timings and tREFI, so there is still a lot of training issues with the IMC that we cannot currently control. Stick to single rank kits (yes, that means no rank-interleaving) and stick with 1DPC (2 DIMM's populated at most). 

I have read that people say avoid 2x16gb sticks compared to 4x8gb, is it true? I really want the rgb ram but if there is a lot of headache involved i will avoid it.

Just now, DekaRanger said:

I have read that people say avoid 2x16gb sticks compared to 4x8gb, is it true? I really want the rgb ram but if there is a lot of headache involved i will avoid it.

Yes, there is some truth to that statement. All 16GB DDR4 sticks are dual rank, meaning it has access to rank interleaving, and more importantly, are bound to multi-rank tertiary timings. The problem with this, in the context of Ryzen, is that you do not have access to timings that control multi-rank kits. This means you are at the mercy of your motherboard and IMC to train these timings properly. This means potential instability (or downright incompatibility) when using these kits. Some 8GB sticks are multi-rank as well. Be very careful when choosing kits for Ryzen. Your motherboard will have a QVL that lists all tested kits on that board, along with whether or not they work in 1DPC or 2DPC modes, and whether or not the kits are single rank (single sided/SS) or dual rank (double-sided/DS). Be sure to look through that list before making your final decision. Grab the best kit on that list that you can afford, and from there, you can manually tweak if you'd like more performance afterwards. I just highly recommend picking a kit that is validated on that platform, as trying to force a kit that doesn't agree with that IMC to work, is nothing short of painful.

@MageTank I have been looking for the qvl for the ch6 and I can't seem to find it. Is it possible you can link it since I have problems finding it. I'm probably looking in the wrong places. Is there any 32gb kit you recommend? 

1 minute ago, DekaRanger said:

@MageTank I have been looking for the qvl for the ch6 and I can't seem to find it. Is it possible you can link it since I have problems finding it. I'm probably looking in the wrong places. Is there any 32gb kit you recommend? 

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO_DRAM_QVLforAMDRyzenProcessors_0316.pdf?_ga=2.179344228.1113985111.1498529648-845518964.1482891550(found on this page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_QVL/)

The QVL seems outdated, and doesn't seem updated for AGESA 1.0.0.6, but as you can see, the only listed kits that hit 3200 on the QVL, are 8GB. That's not to say that 16GB DIMM's can't do it (mine did, with a lot of effort), just that it's difficult to make that happen. If you truly need 32GB, you can try your luck with buying 2 kits of these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

It's going to cost you a pretty penny, but they are at least validated to work on Ryzen. If you have trouble with 2DPC timings, relax the primary timings down to say, C15 or C16, and you might be able to get away with it. One thing is for certain, tighten tRFC down or you will have abysmal latency.

24 minutes ago, MageTank said:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO_DRAM_QVLforAMDRyzenProcessors_0316.pdf?_ga=2.179344228.1113985111.1498529648-845518964.1482891550(found on this page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_QVL/)

The QVL seems outdated, and doesn't seem updated for AGESA 1.0.0.6, but as you can see, the only listed kits that hit 3200 on the QVL, are 8GB. That's not to say that 16GB DIMM's can't do it (mine did, with a lot of effort), just that it's difficult to make that happen. If you truly need 32GB, you can try your luck with buying 2 kits of these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

It's going to cost you a pretty penny, but they are at least validated to work on Ryzen. If you have trouble with 2DPC timings, relax the primary timings down to say, C15 or C16, and you might be able to get away with it. One thing is for certain, tighten tRFC down or you will have abysmal latency.

Thank you. I went on that page but I clicked the top link and I didn't understand anything on it and that made me believe the other links were similar. 

I am willing to pay more for a no/less hassle experience. Thank you for the kit recommandation.