Upgrade amp or buy a dac?

Owlman

I have the Schiit Vali 2 tube amp and the headphones I'm using are the Beyer Dynamic T90 Jubilee (might replace these with the sennheiser hd 650s as i find the t90 too sibilant). Using on-board as dac, motherboard in my signature

Should I upgrade my amp to Asgard 2 /Valhalla 2 (I have no idea if I prefer tube or SS) or buy a dac like the Modi 2 or the Bifrost? Also what is the difference between the Bifrost and the Bifrost Multibit?

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW

7 minutes ago, Owlman said:

I have the Schiit Vali 2 tube amp and the headphones I'm using are the Beyer Dynamic T90 Jubilee (might replace these with the sennheiser hd 650s as i find the t90 too sibilant). Using on-board as dac, motherboard in my signature

Should I upgrade my amp to Asgard 2 /Valhalla 2 (I have no idea if I prefer tube or SS) or buy a dac like the Modi 2 or the Bifrost? Also what is the difference between the Bifrost and the Bifrost Multibit?

DUDE! Shiit LOVE EM!

Definitely get a DAC!

Vali 2 is ultra nice and more than enough for your Cans ;)
I am rocking it with HD800s

I do recomend getting a Shiit Modi 2. I have the same one and tried the Bifrost but yeha could not spot it in a A/B blind test with my HD800.

But i COULD verry much against my internal crap DAC

Difference between Bifrost and Bifrost multibit is the way of processing the audio

To make it short: You wont notice

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

1 hour ago, Metallus97 said:

DUDE! Shiit LOVE EM!

Definitely get a DAC!

Vali 2 is ultra nice and more than enough for your Cans ;)
I am rocking it with HD800s

I do recomend getting a Shiit Modi 2. I have the same one and tried the Bifrost but yeha could not spot it in a A/B blind test with my HD800.

But i COULD verry much against my internal crap DAC

Difference between Bifrost and Bifrost multibit is the way of processing the audio

To make it short: You wont notice

What about the Modi 2 multibit?

Desktop Rig:

10 minutes ago, Owlman said:

If you aren't going to replace the T90's soon, mimby is a good option to add some warmth into your system. There are clearer DACs out there than mimby.

2 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

If you aren't going to replace the T90's soon, mimby is a good option to add some warmth into your system. There are clearer DACs out there than mimby.

I'm pretty much set on replacing them, fatigue isn't fun. I just haven't decided on the replacement yet

Desktop Rig:

4 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

mimby = modi 2 multibit?

Desktop Rig:

2 minutes ago, Owlman said:

I'm pretty much set on replacing them, fatigue isn't fun. I just haven't decided on the replacement yet

You can get the modi 2 or modi 2 uber if you want to avoid noise since modi 2 is powered through USB. Mimby is Modi multibit.

1 hour ago, Owlman said:

Check out her/his older threads. Lots of neural nutrition tucked in among the @Dackzy postings....

Edited by Guest
Showing respect to peers, eh.

TBH just get a normal modi 2. I am personally not a big fan of the mimby, bifrost or bimby, to say it simple then I think they sound wrong to me, they have a fairly thick low end compared to other DACs and they are not among the DACs in this budget with the most resolution. I would actually consider an NFB 11 where only the DAC part is being used as better value than a bimby, but to be clear when I say thick low end about a DAC then it is not the same as if I said it about a pair of headphones, the DAC would be quite a bit more subtle.

A modi 2 cost 125€ and then save up the rest, later you might be able to get a better amp which the HD 650's would like. 

Let me see if I can boil multibit a bit down.

So the music we listen to is encoded using pulse-code modulation also called PCM, which represents the audio as samples of the signal amplitude, but the thing is that most DACs are using pulse-density modulation also called PDM to decode and they use a technique that is called delta-sigma modulation. The drawback of delta-sigma DACs is that in order for them to do their decoding they discard the original PCM samples when they make them into PDM and they are typically 1-5 bits or something like that, this is seen as a drawback for some people and multibit is supposed to overcome this drawback. Can you hear it? maybe, maybe not.

Hope that helped a bit.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Love the low end on the Bifrost 4490. Doesn't really sound thick to me, even pushing the HD650.

@SSL @Dackzy 

Is the Schiit Lyr 2 worth looking into? Found one used for less than half the cost of a new one.

EDIT: Lyr not Lyr 2, about 45% off retail price

Desktop Rig:

1 hour ago, Owlman said:

@SSL @Dackzy 

Is the Schiit Lyr 2 worth looking into? Found one used for less than half the cost of a new one.

Just get the newer amps from Schiit, vali 2 or valhalla 2 if you want tubes at an affordable price.

3 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

Just get the newer amps from Schiit, vali 2 or valhalla 2 if you want tubes at an affordable price.

Saw the listing for the Lyr and thought I'd ask. I have the Vali 2 fyi.

Desktop Rig:

1 hour ago, Owlman said:

@SSL @Dackzy 

eh the OG lyr isn't that good at all, you kinda want second gen products when it comes to schiit.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

eh the OG lyr isn't that good at all, you kinda want second gen products when it comes to schiit.

Ok, thanks 

Desktop Rig:

On 27.6.2017 at 2:33 PM, Owlman said:

same thing :D

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂