Keyboard and Mouse work in BIOS and Linux but not Windows

VIhul

As the title states, my keyboard and mouse work in the BIOS and in Linux but as soon as it begins booting Windows the light on my mouse turns off and once I reach the login screen neither works. I just installed a new CPU, RAM, and mobo but it's clearly a Windows issue since Linux (Ubuntu 14 to be exact) and my BIOS behave normally. I managed to reach the Windows 10 boot troubleshooting by shutting off the computer during startup then turning it back on and in this my KB/Mouse also work. Thanks in advance.

That's odd. Have you tried plugging in any other peripherals to see if those would work? You might also want to try reinstalling or repairing Windows with a bootable USB

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

How did you install windows?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

How did you install windows?

I used my SSD from my previous computer, which I originally installed 8.1 on (this was 4 years ago) then upgraded to 10.

8 minutes ago, Johntheawesomeguy said:

That's odd. Have you tried plugging in any other peripherals to see if those would work? You might also want to try reinstalling or repairing Windows with a bootable USB

Is it possible to reinstall "just" Windows and not lose my games, files, programs, etc?

2 minutes ago, VIhul said:

I used my SSD from my previous computer, which I originally installed 8.1 on (this was 4 years ago) then upgraded to 10.

Oh, that's why.

You need to do a clean install otherwise devices won't function properly.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

You should never upgrade an OS, always do a clean install.

You also need to do a clean install when moving to a new motherboard, which I assume you did when you got a new PC.

There is probably a ton of stuff going wrong in the background of your OS, it's just that the only thing you notice are your devices not working.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Oh, that's why.

You need to do a clean install otherwise devices won't function properly.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

You should never upgrade an OS, always do a clean install.

You also need to do a clean install when moving to a new motherboard, which I assume you did when you got a new PC.

There is probably a ton of stuff going wrong in the background of your OS, it's just that the only thing you notice are your devices not working.

It's weird though because the very first time I booted with all of my new hardware everything worked fine.

It's weird though because the very first time I booted with all of my new hardware everything worked fine.

That what you think, everything "seems" fine but there is actually a bunch of stuff wrong with the OS in the background.

Sometimes it doesn't work immediately, sometimes the issues become apparent a few months or years later when windows tries to install an update and part of the OS is corrupted, which seems like what happened to you.

You can go to event viewer in windows admin tools and see all the critical errors that are happening.

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That what you think, everything "seems" fine but there is actually a bunch of stuff wrong with the OS in the background.

Sometimes it doesn't work immediately, sometimes the issues become apparent a few months or years later when windows tries to install an update and part of the OS is corrupted, which seems like what happened to you.

You can go to event viewer in windows admin tools and see all the critical errors that are happening.

Ok it looks my current course of action will be to back up everything on my drive to another one then reinstall Windows, does that sound good to you?

Ok it looks my current course of action will be to back up everything on my drive to another one then reinstall Windows, does that sound good to you?

Yup, that's what I've done like a dozen times now.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Yup, that's what I've done like a dozen times now.

Ok thanks a ton for your help, it's copying now.