Overclocked my R9 280x - Can an experienced OCer take a look at this? I had few white artifacts show up.

GPU: PowerColor R9 280x (3072MB)

Stock Settings: 

Core Voltage: 1144 mV

Power Limit: 0%

Core Clock: 1030 MHz

Memory Clock: 1500 MHz

Averaged Settings (GPU Overclocking Database):

Core Voltage: 1200 mV

Power Limit: 10%

Core Clock: 1169 MHz

Memory Clock: 1697 MHz

My Current Settings:

Core Voltage: 1250 mV

Power Limit: 16%

Core Clock: 1205 MHz

Memory Clock: 1730 MHz

During the Unigine Valley Benchmark testing, I noticed several occurances of screen tearing and few occurrences of white artifacts here and there. Any cause for concern? 

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Set it back to stock.  You probably pushed the card past its limit.  I'm not a pro OCer, but I have experience with OCing 280xs.  The suggested OC that most can hit is 20% power limit, 1120 core, 1550 on the memory iirc.  It also depends on which 280x, if it is binned or not, and the cooling.  So, set to stock and test again.  If they're still there on stock then it is likely that you killed the GPU.

You cannot kill a GPU with an overclock like that. You need to get to ridiculous levels of voltage for that to happen. 

@RiqSha Lower your clocks just a little and test again, and raise power limit to 20%. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Set it back to stock.  You probably pushed the card past its limit.  I'm not a pro OCer, but I have experience with OCing 280xs.  The suggested OC that most can hit is 20% power limit, 1120 core, 1550 on the memory iirc.  It also depends on which 280x, if it is binned or not, and the cooling.  So, set to stock and test again.  If they're still there on stock then it is likely that you killed the GPU.

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

You cannot kill a GPU with an overclock like that. You need to get to ridiculous levels of voltage for that to happen. 

@RiqSha Lower your clocks just a little and test again, and raise power limit to 20%. 

I'll try the stock settings to confirm it doesn't have any white artifacts there. Then I'll lower clocks and increase power limit. 

@TheRandomness But as a question for knowledge's sake, how bad are small white artifacts? My temperature was pretty good at right under 80C, and isn't this sort of benchmarking for the heaviest situations, i.e. playing games shouldn't push your card to white artifacts? Or is my understanding of why artifacts occur wrong?

21 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, from my experience I've seen them from a few things.  Drivers and overclocks are usually what causes them.  I've heard they're VRAM related too, but again I'm not a pro on the matter.  However, if they don't occur at stock then go the 20%/1120/1550 oc test again and see if they occur.  Some games/sw also just don't like OCs.  However, that bench usually doesn't care.  They can occur from a bad card too.

I benchmarked on stock settings, didn't notice too much. I'll try those recommended settings. To be honest, I've had my rig for about 3 years and I haven't done anything to it. I'm starting to develop an interest in seeing how much I can push it, so if a few artifacts aren't going to murder my entire system, then I'll see where it goes. Also I wanna play Witcher 3 on higher settings and more frames. Haha. :)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, RiqSha said:

I'll try the stock settings to confirm it doesn't have any white artifacts there. Then I'll lower clocks and increase power limit. 

@TheRandomness But as a question for knowledge's sake, how bad are small white artifacts? My temperature was pretty good at right under 80C, and isn't this sort of benchmarking for the heaviest situations, i.e. playing games shouldn't push your card to white artifacts? Or is my understanding of why artifacts occur wrong?

The artefacts are just the results of improperly rendering the frame afaik. Meaning some of the stream processors (or any other part of the GPU for that matter) cannot properly work, so it creates those glitches. Too fast of a clock or too little voltage can lead to that. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

You just went too high on your overclock, there is nothing wrong with your gpu, you just went a little too high, just go a little lower on your overclock till they go away and then you should be fine.

PC SPECS

CPU: i5 4690k OC 4.4Ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 Strix OC 

Storage: 1TB HDD, 240GB sandisk SSD

Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61

Case: NZXT S340 elite

PSU: EVGA BQ 650W

Motherboard: Asus - B85M-G R2.0 Micro ATX

RAM: 8x2 (16Gb) Generic kingston ddr3 1600

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gotta love that comic sans am I right?

I love to joke around,i'm not at all a professional.

I'd increase the power limit to max . the card won't draw more than it needs ( it's a maximum ) , and it ensures your card isn't starved for power.

1205mhz seems high for a 280x ( that's usually the upper limit ) . Drop down to 1150 and go increase from there.

Also , set your memory to stock for now . You first want to find your max core speed , and tweak memory clocks after . If you do both at the same time and run into instability , you won't know what is causing it .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

26 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The artefacts are just the results of improperly rendering the frame afaik. Meaning some of the stream processors (or any other part of the GPU for that matter) cannot properly work, so it creates those glitches. Too fast of a clock or too little voltage can lead to that. 

24 minutes ago, Sovietpizza said:

You just went too high on your overclock, there is nothing wrong with your gpu, you just went a little too high, just go a little lower on your overclock till they go away and then you should be fine.

19 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I'd increase the power limit to max . the card won't draw more than it needs ( it's a maximum ) , and it ensures your card isn't starved for power.

1205mhz seems high for a 280x ( that's usually the upper limit ) . Drop down to 1150 and go increase from there.

Also , set your memory to stock for now . You first want to find your max core speed , and tweak memory clocks after . If you do both at the same time and run into instability , you won't know what is causing it .

Ayeeeeee, you guys are sick! Thanks for the advice. I'll adjust as recommended.