Rx480 8gb VS 4k 30hz

Go to solution Solved by mathijs727,

I went from a R9 290X (8GB) to a RX480 8GB at 1440p and performance is pretty similar (some games 290x was a bit faster).

Compared to the R9 290, the RX480 is a bit (5 go 10%) faster.

I would only go for it if you can sell the R9 290 for a good price.

Also, the RX480 is super expensive here (Netherlands) because of stupid crypto miners so 250eu would be a good deal.

Greetings fellow techizens.

My potato "console" PC is used to run older or simple titels.

The most intense game on it is quantum break.

Now recently I upgraded my TV to a 4k 50hz one, Wich I run on PC at 30hz Wich is good enough for me to relive old titels and casual coop fun.

However I'm using a Sapphire R9 290 Vapor x 4gb gpu Wich can handle most games just fine but some games require more vram.

I can get a Asus strix rx480 8gb for 250 euros would this card cut it at 4k 30hz ?

I have an old r9 390 8gb Wich can handle everything but one of the fans is dead.

PS : I'd love a 980ti but those go for 350 or 400 euros out here Wich is way to much for my potato.

Yes - the RX 480 should be able to handle it if the settings are not on Ultra. I recommend going on YouTube and looking at different benchmarks.

I went from a R9 290X (8GB) to a RX480 8GB at 1440p and performance is pretty similar (some games 290x was a bit faster).

Also, the RX480 is super expensive here (Netherlands) because of stupid crypto miners so 250eu would be a good deal.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

2 minutes ago, mathijs727 said:

Thanks I'll grab the rx480 I can offload my 290 on some1 I know.

I guess GTX 970 would not be too much for every potato like my sleeper potato pc

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

56 minutes ago, mebaby2 said:

Greetings fellow techizens.

My potato "console" PC is used to run older or simple titels.

The most intense game on it is quantum break.

Now recently I upgraded my TV to a 4k 50hz one, Wich I run on PC at 30hz Wich is good enough for me to relive old titels and casual coop fun.

However I'm using a Sapphire R9 290 Vapor x 4gb gpu Wich can handle most games just fine but some games require more vram.

I can get a Asus strix rx480 8gb for 250 euros would this card cut it at 4k 30hz ?

I have an old r9 390 8gb Wich can handle everything but one of the fans is dead.

PS : I'd love a 980ti but those go for 350 or 400 euros out here Wich is way to much for my potato.

Your TV should actually be capable of 60 Hz.

The reason your TV says 50 Hz is because you're in Europe in a country that used the PAL format for analogue TV, which used 50 fields (25 frames made of two sets of fields interleaved) instead of 60 fields like NTSC. But because the TV may be used in combination with DVD players or Bluray players and international content (from US for example, which used NTSC), the TV should support 60 Hz just fine.

On your older video card, you probably only run 4K at 30 Hz because of HDMI limitations - if I remember correctly, Radeon 290 series has HDMI v1.4 connectors, which only support up to 4K at up to 30 Hz. The card itself is actually capable of more than 30 Hz, just not through HDMI (see below).

The new RX series cards and the nVidia GTX 10xx are equipped with HDMI 2.0 ports, and should support 4K at 60 Hz just fine. If for some reason the TV is stubborn, you can go in the AMD's video card driver settings and ADD / CREATE the custom resolution 4K at 50 Hz so your games will play at up to 50 fps.

Also when gaming, make sure you disable stuff like post processing in the TV for less latency , so the games will feel smoother. Look in your TV's settings and see if there's some "Game mode" (which would disable those post processing settings / effects to improve movies ) or check the TV's manual.

If you find out the new RX cards are out of stock or you decide to stick with your older video card, you can still have 4K at 50 Hz or 60 Hz, just not through the HDMI connector.

The video card is also equipped with a DisplayPort connector, which is actually powerful enough to transfer 4K at up to 60 Hz to anything.

If your TV only has HDMI 2.0, then you can buy an active converter that converts the DisplayPort connector to a HDMI 2.0 connector.

Here's an example on Amazon.co.uk (you can order from Netherlands, or maybe you're more comfortable ordering from Amazon.de)

Plugable Active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0C7QO8/

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

Your TV should actually be capable of 60 Hz.

The reason your TV says 50 Hz is because you're in Europe in a country that used the PAL format for analogue TV, which used 50 fields (25 frames made of two sets of fields interleaved) instead of 60 fields like NTSC. But because the TV may be used in combination with DVD players or Bluray players and international content (from US for example, which used NTSC), the TV should support 60 Hz just fine.

On your older video card, you probably only run 4K at 30 Hz because of HDMI limitations - if I remember correctly, Radeon 290 series has HDMI v1.4 connectors, which only support up to 4K at up to 30 Hz. The card itself is actually capable of more than 30 Hz, just not through HDMI (see below).

The new RX series cards and the nVidia GTX 10xx are equipped with HDMI 2.0 ports, and should support 4K at 60 Hz just fine. If for some reason the TV is stubborn, you can go in the AMD's video card driver settings and ADD / CREATE the custom resolution 4K at 50 Hz so your games will play at up to 50 fps.

Also when gaming, make sure you disable stuff like post processing in the TV for less latency , so the games will feel smoother. Look in your TV's settings and see if there's some "Game mode" (which would disable those post processing settings / effects to improve movies ) or check the TV's manual.

If you find out the new RX cards are out of stock or you decide to stick with your older video card, you can still have 4K at 50 Hz or 60 Hz, just not through the HDMI connector.

The video card is also equipped with a DisplayPort connector, which is actually powerful enough to transfer 4K at up to 60 Hz to anything.

If your TV only has HDMI 2.0, then you can buy an active converter that converts the DisplayPort connector to a HDMI 2.0 connector.

Here's an example on Amazon.co.uk (you can order from Netherlands, or maybe you're more comfortable ordering from Amazon.de)

Plugable Active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0C7QO8/

Thank you for responding.

I know I am able to run higher hz by switching up the connection but there is no point seeing most of the games cannot get the frame rate with my current card, and those that can are often poor ports stuck at 30fps max.

The PC in question consists of old parts out of my main rig i7 3770 4.3 GHz 16gb DDR3 R9 290 Vapor x.

It holds about 300 games released throughout time and across a plethora of platforms just to revisit or for fun with friends.

So a new card only needs to be able to push 25 \ 35 fps on the most intense ones.

I tried with my main rig and top hz reported was 50 {GTX 1080ti}

At by Wich I had to enable PC mode on the TV to prevent input lagg.

However at 30 hz without PC mode I can leave on important eyecandy without increased input latency somehow.

I have no clue why this is the case but I do know my TV only allows 1 custom picture settings profile with all options available Wich I use for both my PC and my Blu-ray layer, so I prefer casual 30hz gaming and all the movie eyecandy without going into TV menu Everytime to disable and reanable settings.

Hence I will stick to 30hz even with the rx480 it's HDMI 2.0.

Removes allot of TV settings hassle just to have a few games be 5 frames smoother.