Could I get some opinions on hardware changes.

KWelz

Alright this may be a little long but stick with me.   

I am considering switching my system from a water cooled dual loop system back to air.  

Currently I have a 6850K on a Rampage V Edition 10 with two 1080 Seahawk EKs...   

One of the Cards is having problems and has to be undervolted to run properly.  The good news is I purchased the Microcenter protection plan.  Which means I can take it back and either exchange it for another one or get credit out that I paid for it.  Now since I purchased this back before the 1080Ti that means I will get more than enough to buy a 1080Ti.  

So this has me thinking that maybe I should scale my system back.   Go to a single air cooled 1080Ti in a smaller case.  

I mainly play FF14, Warframe, and other similar games on an Acer Predator X34.  I know I would be giving up some temps but my SMA8 is just so big....

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

I would sell the good 1080 and get a beefy 1080 ti.(AMP Extreme!, iCX 2.0 etc)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Yeah I think that a single 1080ti will provide better over all experience on the x34 than a sli1080, retain more resale value as well.

Any reason why you're going back to air cooling? too troublesome? haha I wonder which air cooler you're considering.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I agree, there's no need for two 1080's when the 1080ti on it's own is overkill for anything you throw at it. You shouldn't need to really change anything else, it'll run anything for a while to come in my opinion.

| i'm bad at games, but play them anyways |

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Yeah I think that a single 1080ti will provide better over all experience on the x34 than a sli1080, retain more resale value as well.

Any reason why you're going back to air cooling? too troublesome? haha I wonder which air cooler you're considering.

Not troublesome and I love watercooling, how it looks and the temps.  However my machine is a beast.  literally a carbon copy of Skunkworks.  I believe it weighs in at about 85lbs total.  It is just too much sometimes.   Heat output is a bit much as well.  The system runs cool as hell but my office gets pretty hot with dual cards.  

If I do it I have a Kracken X62 I will probably use.   

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.