Aiwa SX-WZL700 Speaker Connection

harutik11

I have 2 Aiwa SX-WZL700 speakers. Receiver is Technics SA-EX510. I don't know how to connect them to my receiver. There are two sets of wires coming out the back of the speaker. 1 has 2 black wires. 1 has a black and blue wire. Can someone tell me where each wire goes into the receiver?

IMG_3276.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

Those speakers may not work correctly with that amplifier. One set of wires is for the tweeter, and one is for the woofer, and because those originally came with a receiver that had dedicated high and low frequency outputs, the speaker themselves may not have internal crossovers. 

`

1 minute ago, klh2000 said:

Those speakers may not work correctly with that amplifier. One set of wires is for the tweeter, and one is for the woofer, and because those originally came with a receiver that had dedicated high and low frequency outputs, the speaker themselves may not have internal crossovers. 

i did have them connected at one point where they were loud but it was some insane bass and the tweeters didn't sound like they were even on. any conversions can be done?

37 minutes ago, harutik11 said:

i did have them connected at one point where they were loud but it was some insane bass and the tweeters didn't sound like they were even on. any conversions can be done?

It probably isn't worth putting crossovers in them without knowing the specs of the drivers. The tweeters may be blown because they originally connected with RCA plugs, and these are usually very low power connections. Connecting the tweeters to the main speaker terminals could have damaged them.

`

So the drivers are wired as compression+mid and woofer, but I can't find any details about power handling other than the power consumption of the whole unit is somewhere around 200W, so we can guess a total somewhere around 100W per side with an unknown split between the drivers.

Due to the way they're wired there won't be a low-pass filter inline with the woofer, and there won't be a high-pass filter inline with the mid+compression drivers, although they will have a suitable crossover. This means you need active processing, which already makes this a fairly expensive job, and to set it up properly. It's unlikely that you can reassign outputs on your receiver, or that it would be able to do the processing required.

By the looks of it you'd be better off in buying a decent set of speakers rather than spending the money it would take to set this up properly.

2 minutes ago, klh2000 said:

The tweeters may be blown because they originally connected with RCA plugs, 

All of the connections are over speaker cable, they wouldn't have ever been terminated to an RCA connector.

thank you everyone for the help. looks like a need new speakers. any suggestions to work with the receiver with those bare wires? 

3 hours ago, anothertom said:

So the drivers are wired as compression+mid and woofer, but I can't find any details about power handling other than the power consumption of the whole unit is somewhere around 200W, so we can guess a total somewhere around 100W per side with an unknown split between the drivers.

Due to the way they're wired there won't be a low-pass filter inline with the woofer, and there won't be a high-pass filter inline with the mid+compression drivers, although they will have a suitable crossover. This means you need active processing, which already makes this a fairly expensive job, and to set it up properly. It's unlikely that you can reassign outputs on your receiver, or that it would be able to do the processing required.

By the looks of it you'd be better off in buying a decent set of speakers rather than spending the money it would take to set this up properly.

All of the connections are over speaker cable, they wouldn't have ever been terminated to an RCA connector.

If you look at the user manual for those speakers and amp combo unit, they were originally terminated with rca connectors for the tweeters. That was probably done just to stop somebody from wiring up the speakers incorrectly by switching the high/low frequency connections.

Screenshot_20170621-223557.thumb.png.aab9c87a89c30d67104e6854e026f857.png

`

Behringer B215Xl how do these speakers look? compatible with my receiver? 

5 hours ago, harutik11 said:

Behringer B215Xl how do these speakers look? compatible with my receiver? 

With a SpeakON to speaker wire adapter they would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio-SPRW15-15-Feet-Speakon/dp/B004I20ZBU

What are you using these speakers for? You can get much better speakers for the money if you want a HiFi setup.

`

4 hours ago, klh2000 said:

With a SpeakON to speaker wire adapter they would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio-SPRW15-15-Feet-Speakon/dp/B004I20ZBU

What are you using these speakers for? You can get much better speakers for the money if you want a HiFi setup.

i'm using these speakers for outside. no one is an audiophile. so i don't need anything crazy. though bass is key. so the old speakers had an 8.5" woofer and let me tell you it was real nice. BTW is speakON a new type of cable connection? 

Those behringers are unsuitable for use with the receiver. They have a maximum power handling of 2.5x the maximum output of the receiver, so you won't get them to a decent volume without running the amp at full power, which could result in damage to both the amp and speakers.

If you can give more info on what you're trying to do, what budget you've got, and what equipment you've already got, then I might be able to suggest something more suitable.

Speakon is not a new connection, but for some reason hasn't been embraced in the HiFi market as it has been in professional use.

1 minute ago, anothertom said:

Those behringers are unsuitable for use with the receiver. They have a maximum power handling of 2.5x the maximum output of the receiver, so you won't get them to a decent volume without running the amp at full power, which could result in damage to both the amp and speakers.

If you can give more info on what you're trying to do, what budget you've got, and what equipment you've already got, then I might be able to suggest something more suitable.

Speakon is not a new connection, but for some reason hasn't been embraced in the HiFi market as it has been in professional use.

outdoor use. 2 speakers. heavy woofer. under $250. all i got is the Technics SA-EX510 receiver 

19 minutes ago, harutik11 said:

i'm using these speakers for outside. no one is an audiophile. so i don't need anything crazy. though bass is key. so the old speakers had an 8.5" woofer and let me tell you it was real nice. BTW is speakON a new type of cable connection? 

Those speaker will work fine then.  SpeakON has been around for a while though, it is mainly used in professional audio applications. The only issue you masy run into is not having enough power to properly drive thos speakers. That technics amplifier probably doesn't output very much power.

`

4 minutes ago, harutik11 said:

outdoor use. 2 speakers. heavy woofer. under $250. all i got is the Technics SA-EX510 receiver 

Are you looking for a battery powered system or do you have suitable power available outside?

Are you looking for a proper stereo PA or a single speaker? On this budget you may not get much speaker...

Do you have any cables (xlr/jack/speaker) or adapters (3.5mm to xlr, 3.5mm to 1/4'' jack)? and what are you playing music off of?

2 minutes ago, anothertom said:

Are you looking for a battery powered system or do you have suitable power available outside?

Are you looking for a proper stereo PA or a single speaker? On this budget you may not get much speaker...

Do you have any cables (xlr/jack/speaker) or adapters (3.5mm to xlr, 3.5mm to 1/4'' jack)? and what are you playing music off of?

i have power outside. don't have cables/wires. a pair of stereo speakers. 

As i said, $250 isn't much of a budget, and I don't know the setting you're intending to use this in, so i'll assume this is for just playing music off a phone/mp3 player in a small/mid sized garden/outdoor area. You'll need a 3.5mm jack to (mono) XLR for $8.50 to start with. A few options, in order of what i'd do:

Single Speaker, on budget.

Behrigner B212D, active speaker, 550W rms. $249 + jack adapter.

Double speaker, over budget

Two Behringer B208D, active 200W rms. $179.99 each, + jack adapter + 10m XLR.

Single Speaker, under budget

Behringer B210D, active 200W rms. $199 + jack adapter.

I've suggested powered speakers, as your receiver is only rated to 100W per channel, and you won't find many decent speakers for outdoor use either rated at 100W or under $250. Also, these behringers will be more resistant to outdoor conditions (not that you should let them get wet), and less likely to overheat in high temps than the receiver. This will also reduce cable costs, as both speakon connectors and suitable cable would eat into the budget.

There are cheaper speakers than the one's I've suggested above, but there's a quick drop off in power (the CE500A are $130 each but only 80W). There are also the slightly dodgy looking brands, but with unknown build quality, customer service or reliability I prefer to stay with known brands.