Nintendo Switch

flamer7

Hey guys! I just wanted to ask really, seeing all the games coming out for Nintendo Switch from E3, I'm really liking it. However, can you guys give me an insight to how well Nintendo maintains and updates their games? I've never had any of the DS' and don't really know.

Also, I got a PS Vita, and was really excited in the first year of its release, with all the games such as Uncharted, Persona, Gravity Rush. But the next year onwards it all went to shit. I spent a substantial amount of money, given the memory cards are absolutely priced to hell as well. I just don't want to make the same mistake, so I do hope you guys can give me some information, whether to buy the Switch, or wait till next year, etc. BotW looks amazing, but buying it for just BotW and Mario isn't too great, almost like what I did for the Vita..

Thank you!

The WII lost support like not much after the release of the WII mini.

I saw new WII mini's for sale after the support ended, quite sad...

So if the WII is an example of their plan, it's quite bad.

But if you compare it to the 3DS, they recently even released a new 2DS even tho the switch was already released.

What i would do is wait and keep an eye on the second-hand market. Maybe a switch will come up cheap just after the holidays.

OR keep an eye on your local ebay/craigslist equivalent for the next few weeks, you might get a really good deal. I'll explain with an example.

Let's say a random kid got a switch a few weeks/months ago, BUT his parents told him he had to get good results at school or they would sell the Switch again.

Kids, being kids, f*ck up sometimes, so it's perfectly possible the random kid ends up with bad results and their parents sell the Switch.

Usually the parents don't care about the money, they just want to sell it to punish the kid for not getting good results.

And  you end up with a very cheap switch :D

However, this situation is quite rare BUT does happen, and with kids getting their results around this time of the year it's a tactic worth giving a shot.

You might have to live with the story that the switch was from a kid that messed up and got punished tho. But that's something you need to decide for yourself if you can live with that :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Considering most games are occurring around q 3-4, I would wait.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

The WII lost support like not much after the release of the WII mini.

I saw new WII mini's for sale after the support ended, quite sad...

So if the WII is an example of their plan, it's quite bad.

But if you compare it to the 3DS, they recently even released a new 2DS even tho the switch was already released.

What i would do is wait and keep an eye on the second-hand market. Maybe a switch will come up cheap just after the holidays.

OR keep an eye on your local ebay/craigslist equivalent for the next few weeks, you might get a really good deal. I'll explain with an example.

Let's say a random kid got a switch a few weeks/months ago, BUT his parents told him he had to get good results at school or they would sell the Switch again.

Kids, being kids, f*ck up sometimes, so it's perfectly possible the random kid ends up with bad results and their parents sell the Switch.

Usually the parents don't care about the money, they just want to sell it to punish the kid for not getting good results.

And  you end up with a very cheap switch :D

However, this situation is quite rare BUT does happen, and with kids getting their results around this time of the year it's a tactic worth giving a shot.

You might have to live with the story that the switch was from a kid that messed up and got punished tho. But that's something you need to decide for yourself if you can live with that :P

Haha true that I may keep a look out

2 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Considering most games are occurring around q 3-4, I would wait.

Ah okay yeah reckon it's better to wait!

Before Nintendo released the Switch, they consolidated all of their development teams. With Nintendo (realistically) only have one system, all of their development teams are backing it (I know the 3DS is still around, but the majority of it's games coming out are made either outsourced (Metroid) or were announced before the Switch released).

Nintendo was having a hard time supporting two systems (DS and Wii/3DS and Wii U) which is one reason why they designed the Switch like they did. Once the 3DS is phased out (which will more then likely be the end of next year), the Switch will be the only Nintendo console on the market.

Would I recommend getting one right now, honestly no. With the system being in high demand and short supply, it's best to wait until Nintendo can catch up. Games like Breath of the Wild, ARMS and Splatoon 2 will still be there later (maybe at a cheaper price) and Mario Odyssey (which is going to be freaking amazing) will be out. I bought mine at launch and I don't regret it, especially since I'm getting out of the US Air Force at the end of the month and wouldn't have the money to buy one later.

On 2017-6-21 at 4:07 PM, flamer7 said:

1. Can you guys give me an insight to how well Nintendo maintains and updates their games? I've never had any of the DS' and don't really know.

2. Also, I got a PS Vita, and was really excited in the first year of its release, but the next year onwards it all went to shit.

3. I spent a substantial amount of money, given the memory cards are absolutely priced to hell as well. I just don't want to make the same mistake

I think those are three entirely separate questions.....

1. Before the Wii U and 3DS they didn't update their games at all. The Wii only had 512MB of storage and the DS had none. So patches weren't really a thing at all for any games on those platforms. With the 3DS and Wii U? They do patch their games and the system itself fairly regularly. Both to fix security holes but also to squash bugs, re-balance games and sometimes content updates. For example Splatoon on the Wii U regularly got new weapons, maps gear and game modes.

2. The Wii U eventually suffered the same fate as has just about every console that failed to sell. When Nintendo's hardware sells? They keep supporting it with games. When they don't they release something new and move on. Every company does the same thing. Though with the Switch I think its fair to say that it currently looks like more of a Wii than Wii U in terms of sales.

3. Well at least the Switch doesn't have proprietary memory cards. If its any comfort if you burn a lot of money getting microSD cards on your Switch at least you can still use them in your phone/tablet/camera/dashcam if the Switch does bomb.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

On 23/06/2017 at 8:14 PM, linkboy said:

Before Nintendo released the Switch, they consolidated all of their development teams. With Nintendo (realistically) only have one system, all of their development teams are backing it (I know the 3DS is still around, but the majority of it's games coming out are made either outsourced (Metroid) or were announced before the Switch released).

Nintendo was having a hard time supporting two systems (DS and Wii/3DS and Wii U) which is one reason why they designed the Switch like they did. Once the 3DS is phased out (which will more then likely be the end of next year), the Switch will be the only Nintendo console on the market.

Would I recommend getting one right now, honestly no. With the system being in high demand and short supply, it's best to wait until Nintendo can catch up. Games like Breath of the Wild, ARMS and Splatoon 2 will still be there later (maybe at a cheaper price) and Mario Odyssey (which is going to be freaking amazing) will be out. I bought mine at launch and I don't regret it, especially since I'm getting out of the US Air Force at the end of the month and wouldn't have the money to buy one later.

Thank you!

On 26/06/2017 at 4:15 PM, skywake said:

1. Before the Wii U and 3DS they didn't update their games at all. The Wii only had 512MB of storage and the DS had none. So patches weren't really a thing at all for any games on those platforms. With the 3DS and Wii U? They do patch their games and the system itself fairly regularly. Both to fix security holes but also to squash bugs, re-balance games and sometimes content updates. For example Splatoon on the Wii U regularly got new weapons, maps gear and game modes.

2. The Wii U eventually suffered the same fate as has just about every console that failed to sell. When Nintendo's hardware sells? They keep supporting it with games. When they don't they release something new and move on. Every company does the same thing. Though with the Switch I think its fair to say that it currently looks like more of a Wii than Wii U in terms of sales.

3. Well at least the Switch doesn't have proprietary memory cards. If its any comfort if you burn a lot of money getting microSD cards on your Switch at least you can still use them in your phone/tablet/camera/dashcam if the Switch does bomb.

Thanks for the information! Nice on the memory cards.

On 6/26/2017 at 2:15 AM, skywake said:

To be fair, every Nintendo system they've released from the Wii and DSi have supported some variant of SD cards, whether it's the full size SD card or Micro.

14 hours ago, linkboy said:

To be fair, every Nintendo system they've released from the Wii and DSi have supported some variant of SD cards, whether it's the full size SD card or Micro.

Sure but OP was talking about how they got burned with the Vita and mentioned the proprietary memory cards specifically. And anyways, I'm not sure I'd call anything other than the 3DS and Switch "support" for SD cards. Before the 3DS storage expansion on Nintendo was mostly there for photos. Sure eventually they let you store apps on there but it was an afterthought. And on the Wii U they supported USB mass storage so the SD card slot was just there for backwards compatibility with Wii.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing