Does this look like a good mining rig?

This is for mining LITECOINS. DON'T TELL ME TO USE ASIC.

How does this look as a mining rig? I think this is about the best use for my money, but I could be wrong.

Here is the link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27nIW

Or, typed out here:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($197.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.43 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($38.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (4-Way CrossFire)  ($220.66 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (4-Way CrossFire)  ($220.66 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($184.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1483.01
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-23 21:30 EST-0500)

Looks good. Mind if you give me one of those 7950s?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Looks good. Mind if you give me one of those 7950s?

Sure, if you pay me 1.5x retail value :P

Or give me one, don't give @Bluejay0 one, I'm in more need (don't even have dedicated graphics card and using 1st gen intel core i3) Please donate to the poor

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

It looks horrible because you're not using ASIC. PC hardware has really bad price to performance and power consumption for bitcoin mining.  

Edit: ^ this statement is completely wrong and should be ignored. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

It looks horrible because you're not using ASIC. PC hardware has really bad price to performance and power consumption for bitcoin mining.  

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Thanks google, I now know the difference. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I swear to whatever you believe in, you better be trolling.

Thanks google, I now know the difference. 

I'm not Google. I'm Yahoo.

You don't need an expensive motherboard or CPU.

If you can get cheap non GHZ edition 7970's it might be worth it. A 7970 can do 720-750 K/hash. A 7950 can do 630 K/hash. Divide the price by the hashrate and see which would be a better value.

Don't forget to pick up some PCI extenders with molex power so you don't burn out the motherboard with too much power draw.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

You don't need an expensive motherboard or CPU.

If you can get cheap non GHZ edition 7970's it might be worth it. A 7970 can do 720-750 K/hash. A 7950 can do 630 K/hash. Divide the price by the hashrate and see which would be a better value.

Don't forget to pick up some PCI extenders with molex power so you don't burn out the motherboard with too much power draw.

What motherboard would you recommend? This is one of the only mobo's I could find with 4 PCIE slots. 

My 7970 that is OC'd only does 600 K/hash/s... How the hell are other people getting over 700 K/hash/s?

Also, what would be the point in a PCI extender? Maybe it would help with airflow... thats a good idea. I will factor that in.

What motherboard would you recommend? This is one of the only mobo's I could find with 4 PCIE slots. 

My 7970 that is OC'd only does 600 K/hash/s... How the hell are other people getting over 700 K/hash/s?

Also, what would be the point in a PCI extender? Maybe it would help with airflow... thats a good idea. I will factor that in.

What about that new Asrock board? Might as well give it a try.

In the extreme series? Like what? Extreme 9 I think might work. Although, I think that may be lga 2011

In the extreme series? Like what? Extreme 9 I think might work. Although, I think that may be lga 2011

Nonono the one for Bitcoin mining. It could be used for 6 GPUs at once. PCIe x1 extenders needed though

I don't think it's released or readily available.. i'd also bet it's more expensive than it's worth at this time.

Another thought with the specs in the original post, you will likely need more ram. Scrypt is much more intense in terms of ram. You will likely need about 2GB of ram per GPU.

Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Nonono the one for Bitcoin mining. It could be used for 6 GPUs at once. PCIe x1 extenders needed though

Ohh. Link me please?

I don't think it's released or readily available.. i'd also bet it's more expensive than it's worth at this time.

Another thought with the specs in the original post, you will likely need more ram. Scrypt is much more intense in terms of ram. You will likely need about 2GB of ram per GPU.

Really? You think that I need 8 gb of Ram? Ok... I will factor that into the cost. Also, would single vs. dual channel memory make a difference in this build?

Ohh. Link me please?

There's so many different ones available, it's hard to suggest a single seller. Generally just look on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/pcie-extender

Really? You think that I need 8 gb of Ram? Ok... I will factor that into the cost. Also, would single vs. dual channel memory make a difference in this build?

Ram doesn't matter for Bitcoin's sha-256, but it matters for scrypt. the channel shouldn't matter, You might consider a cheap set of 12 gb? You may have to look into amount of ram needed for a litecoin mining rig based on 4 7970's.

Also don't run the GPU's in a crossfire config.

There's so many different ones available, it's hard to suggest a single seller. Generally just look on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/pcie-extender

Ram doesn't matter for Bitcoin's sha-256, but it matters for scrypt. the channel shouldn't matter, You might consider a cheap set of 12 gb? You may have to look into amount of ram needed for a litecoin mining rig based on 4 7970's.

Also don't run the GPU's in a crossfire config.

I wouldn't run is CrossX

You will only need lots of RAM if you were using reaper to mine. Using cgminer doesn't use much at all, 4Gb would be perfectly fine. Also as I pointed out in the other thread about your 7970, its the wrong brand. Buy the right ones and they WILL do 700+Kh/s.

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

As @AK0490 said, it appears the ram usage is more linked to the mining software. The older scrypt miner Reaper requires large amounts of ram. Apparently CGminer no longer requires high amounts of ram so you should be good.

it's also important to pick the right GPU, 7970 can vary from brand to brand with getting 500 K/hash or 750 K/hash.

As @AK0490 said, it appears the ram usage is more linked to the mining software. The older scrypt miner Reaper requires large amounts of ram. Apparently CGminer no longer requires high amounts of ram so you should be good.

it's also important to pick the right GPU, 7970 can vary from brand to brand with getting 500 K/hash or 750 K/hash.

Exactly! I just checked a rig I have running in the other room, it's two 7970s and two 6870s. It's only using 1.25 Gb of RAM. Just pop in a cheap 4Gb stick and you will be fine.

You will only need lots of RAM if you were using reaper to mine. Using cgminer doesn't use much at all, 4Gb would be perfectly fine. Also as I pointed out in the other thread about your 7970, its the wrong brand. Buy the right ones and they WILL do 700+Kh/s.

Which 7970 and/or 7950s would you recommend?

I haven't had a change to use the single fan Msi cards that you selected on PCPP, I would find a verified case of someone using it and the output before using them. I have both the 7970 and 7950 Msi Twin Frozer cards, and they both perform admirably at 730 and 630 Kh/s respectively. Other excellent cards are Gigabyte with the WF3 cooler. Sapphire cards output well also, but they are also the only one's on which I have experienced failures. While I'm sure some people have got them to perform, I would stay away  from XFX, Asus, and Powercolor.

I would always look up the exact model and try to find others using the cards and their results. 

I will also  be on the lookout for good deals on cards in the next week, as next weekend should be the prime time to pick up some more cards at a good price.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Amazon)  NO needed for mining Expensive, can be a sempron 149.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC) No needed, stock cooller will do fine.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($197.98 @ SuperBiiz)  GOOD 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.43 @ NCIX US) GOOD, can be any cheap'o RAM
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($38.00 @ Amazon) Good, cheaper the better.
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (4-Way CrossFire)  ($220.66 @ Newegg) GOOD
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (4-Way CrossFire)  ($220.66 @ Newegg) GOOD
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($184.99 @ NCIX US) GOOD
Total: $1483.01
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-23 21:30 EST-0500)

you can safe a bit on the CPU and CPU cooler, possibly the money to buy risers.

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!