help me trouble shooting this, either GPU or PSU I think?

Alex90uk

Hi,

I'm not sure what to do from here, I had a couple random shut downs/restarts whilst editing in UE4 today. and a few times in the past whilst gaming. So have started trouble shooting now...

Spec sheet

B150 - ds3h

i5 6500(non-K) stock cooler

gigabyte rx 460 4gb (no overclocking)

Thermaltake tr2 challenger 500w PSU

matching pair of 4GB RAM prob corsair vengeance

My initial thoughts were heat (it's about 30 Celsius in the room i'm working in) but CPU sits at about 60 under load and I've cranked the GPU fan up to 100% just incase.

I can replicate the shut downs doing OCCT tests in both the GPU and PSU, but CPU tests are fine.

I've read that apparently the RX 460 can do this at its out of the box clocks, so i could potentially try under clocking it, but I'd really like to avoid that.

and although Thermaltake isn't the biggest brand, they aren't nobodies, and to the best of my knowledge the UK has stricter electrical standards than most other countries, and dodgy PSU's aren't as big a worry.

what would you guys do from here?

Reinstall windows.

I'd say PSU but there is no way anyone here can definitely say its either of those

I've checked my system logs as well and they are all event ID 41's, it doesn't throw up a BSOD so that does indicate PSU more right?

These problems are usually caused by a flaky power supply or motherboard - particularly bad "bulging" or leaking capacitors in either unit.

Try borrowing a different power supply (for testing).

Inspect the motherboard for signs of leaking or bulging capacitors.

Of course, any part of the motherboard or PSU could be flaky, so direct replacement is the best troubleshooter.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

I'll get in touch with the manufacturer of the PSU and i'll inspect the MoBo

Thanks Quaker

Change the PSU the rating is is not correct it only 400 watt and the 5 v and 12 rail is lower then it says on the PSU. There is a good chance you fry components no current protection.