File transfers from sd cards "pause"

Go to solution Solved by Pesukarhu,
42 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

It could just be, that the card is slowly dying. Those SD Cards usually don't show "aging" and just go Kaputt. 

The card is just a couple of years old, and i haven't used it very much. It is not a brand-name card though, so it could be that it is just a bad card.

Just tried a different usb 3 cable, apparently the original one is broken. That is micro-usb 3, probably inserted the cable on the micro side about 20 times. It has been hanging from the cable though...

Today i noticed my reader was not wanting to cooperate at all. When even accessing a sd/micro sd card through the reader, it would take some time for windows to recognize it and the thumbnails in explorer took a while to load (the green bar over the address bar was moving, but not very quickly). I tried to play some 720p60 video files (mp4, 8mbps) in vlc, and it would play a minute or so and then stopping. Sometimes skipping around would resume playback.

File transfers would start and show about 2-3mbps speeds and transfer about 100mb at a time, then freezing. After a few minutes it would transfer another 100mb and freeze again. This continues until it either completes the transfer or crashes explorer. I also tried the same card in my old pc which has an internal usb 2.0 card reader, it had some trouble as well but it was functional.

Then i tried it with another sd card, (2gb) and it worked.(still sluggish though) Then i tried moving the card reader to a usb 2.0 port. Now the thumbnails loaded instantly and it was recognized faster. Then i tried the 32gb card, using the usb 2.0 port and it works. I can't tell if it has anything wrong with it. File transfers work at about 20 mbps.

This card reader worked almost perfectly before my ryzen upgrade, it did originally have some trouble mounting the cards if not un-/replugged after boot. I will boot to my windows 10 install now and check if it works over there.

It could just be, that the card is slowly dying. Those SD Cards usually don't show "aging" and just go Kaputt. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

42 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

The card is just a couple of years old, and i haven't used it very much. It is not a brand-name card though, so it could be that it is just a bad card.

Just tried a different usb 3 cable, apparently the original one is broken. That is micro-usb 3, probably inserted the cable on the micro side about 20 times. It has been hanging from the cable though...