Ryzen r5 1500x with one stick of memory?

Will r5 1500x run fine on b350 motherboard, but with one stick of ram 8gb (2666mhz corsair), right now i have only budget for single stick because they are so expensive here.. Later i will add another same stick of ram, will it be oke?

1 stick of ram is fine, but make sure you get the same model for the added one.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Try getting 3000MHz or 3200MHz. 2666 will run fine, but the performance gain of 3000/3200 is greater

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just now, revsilverspine said:

Try getting 3000MHz or 3200MHz. 2666 will run fine, but the performance gain of 3000/3200 is greater

Well they only have only patriot ddr4 3000mhz cheap, but they are 4x2gb sticks.

I want to get CORSAIR 8GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz CL16 CMK8GX4M1A2666C16, will it work fine on b350?

2x4GB is better than 1x8GB, expect a significant performance hit if you only use a single stick.

-KuJoe

12 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

2x4GB is better than 1x8GB, expect a significant performance hit if you only use a single stick.

Oke, but can i add later another same type of memory again 2x4gb (to be 16gb of ram?)

Just now, chexor said:

Oke, but can i add later another same type of memory again 2x4gb (to be 16gb of ram?)

Yes, 4x4GB is a valid configuration (no added benefits, but no negative impact either to my knowledge).

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

Yes, 4x4GB is a valid configuration (no added benefits, but no negative impact either to my knowledge).

I ordered: 

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X

MSI B350 PC Mate

CORSAIR 8GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz (2x4gb)

25 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Last time I checked ryzen memory clocks higher when only two dimms are occupied.

30 minutes ago, Majestic said:

It'll be single-channel instead of dual-channel. I wouldn't.

Also, memory is expensive everywhere.

This.. Everyone keeps saying that but to be honest I've never seen any actual major differences except for in some benchmarks.. There's hardly any difference... 

The gains of faster ram in ryzen are obvious.. But I am still not sure about dual channel vs single channel 

44 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Can you give me actual data to support that.. I know that theoretically it should be faster.. But the difference tbh is not that evident 3~4% at best.. I suggest OP shouldn't spend extra for that.. If he is gonna spend extra it should be on faster ram

As you can see here that under actual load there is almost no difference.. Notice how the frames when the games are on high settings the difference is almost non existent..

That video is 3 years old. Back then memory speed also didn't matter. Now games have a lot more datastreaming and bandwidth usage.

Dual channel doubles your memory bandwidth, you will notice it. Especially in the low's. 

7 minutes ago, Manu Saraswat said:

Can you give me actual data to support that.. I know that theoretically it should be faster.. But the difference tbh is not that evident 3~4% at best.. I suggest OP shouldn't spend extra for that.. If he is gonna spend extra it should be on faster ram

This is the video I used to make my decision: 

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

This is the video I used to make my decision: 

OK.. Nd as you can see that when under actual load.. Which are realistic situations.., the difference is non existent.. See for yourself that when games run at high settings there is no performance difference.. In any game b/w a single channel and dual channel memory, especially with the faster rams

1 minute ago, Manu Saraswat said:

OK.. Nd as you can see that when under actual load.. Which are realistic situations.., the difference is non existent.. See for yourself that when games run at high settings there is no performance difference.. In any game b/w a single channel and dual channel memory, especially with the faster rams

Logical fallacy[edit]

Moving the goalposts, similar to "shifting sands" and also known as raising the bar, is an informal fallacy in which evidence presented in response to a specific claim is dismissed and some other (often greater) evidence is demanded. That is, after an attempt has been made to score a goal, the goalposts are moved to exclude the attempt.[3] The problem with changing the rules of the game is that the meaning of the end result is changed, too.[4]

Or maybe you could chalk it up to bad optimization.. The games theoretically should run better with more cores but they don't..dual channel should be better.. But the games don't show much difference.. It might very well be just the fault of games not being optimized to use hardware properly 

Just now, Manu Saraswat said:

It all depends on the GPU, in his case the GPU was the bottleneck in the 1080p tests where as it wasn't in the 720p tests meaning if he had a better GPU the RAM would have made an impact. The 720p testing shows that when the GPU isn't constrained, the FPS is significantly impacted (up to 30% in some games) by whether he had 1 or 2 sticks of RAM at both 2133MHz and 3200MHz. So yeah, if you're running a lower end GPU then you won't notice a difference, but the difference is definitely there when you remove the GPU from the equation.

-KuJoe

Or maybe you could chalk it up to bad optimization.. The games theoretically should run better with more cores but they don't..dual channel should be better.. But the games don't show much difference.. It might very well be just the fault of games not being optimized to use hardware properly 

Is incoherent and fictitious rambling your M.O?

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Is incoherent and fictitious rambling your M.O?

LOL no.. I really do want to get to the bottom of this.. I do understand your point but all I am saying is that under realistic circumstances ram is rarely the bottleneck.. Your gpu nd cpu will almost always choke out before ram, which was evident in the video 

Well i got 2x4gb sticks, because i need to save up for Vega right now, and dont want to rush for another stick of 8gb (8gb corsair in my country is around 100$), so thanks both of you..

LOL no.. I really do want to get to the bottom of this.. I do understand your point but all I am saying is that under realistic circumstances ram is rarely the bottleneck.. Your gpu nd cpu will almost always choke out before ram, which was evident in the video 

So we can all agree that there is a significant difference between single and dual channel RAM? It just depends on where the actual bottleneck is and the software.

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

So we can all agree that there is a significant difference between single and dual channel RAM? It just depends on where the actual bottleneck is and the software.

Yeah.. I already said that I am not saying dual channel is not better.. All I was saying is that the difference are rarely evident in normal circumstances.. 

PS. My rational was also coherent to OP since rn he has a rx 570 which isn't any different to rx 470 used in that video 

But since he is planning to buy Vega.. I guess then dual channel may prove effective