Best headset for gaming?

JCooper

I need suggestions for the best headset for pc gaming and around £100-£130, will be used for games such as rainbow six siege. 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Sades has the shittiest quality ever

Check Cloud II, they are normally great

Are hyperx cloud 2's any good?

Check out the g4me one headset by sennheiser, i picked a set up for £130.

9 hours ago, TheAwesomeLegends1 said:

With audio you get what you pay for, you spend money on cheap products you get sh*t sound, unless of course it's razer, they all sound sh*t

Headphones:

• AKG K701
  • AKG K612 Pro
  • AKG K550
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AD700x
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AD500x
  • Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
  • Beyerdynamic DT990
  • Beyerdynamic DT880
  • Beyerdynamic DT770
  • Philips SHP9500
  • Sennheiser HD598
  • Sennheiser HD558
  • Sennheiser HD518
  • Superlux HD668B + velour earpads from HiFiMAN

Mics:

• Antlion ModMic 5.0, 4.0
  • Massdrop MiniMic
  • Neewer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
  • Sony ECMCS3
  • V-MODA BoomPro
  • Zalman ZM-Mic1

People are probably going to recommend HyperX Cloud (which is sonically the same as Cloud II and CloudX), but I do not recommend it because it has a small soundstage, inaccurate imaging and the fidelity sounds very muddy. A much better option for a similar or the same price is Superlux HD668B with replacement earpads of better quality and a ModMic. The headphones have a big soundstage, accurate imaging and good clarity and detail retrieval.

Open-back headphones have perforations/grills that allow sound to pass in and out, so outside noise can be easily heard and people around you can hear much of the sound coming from the headphones. The benefit to this is generally a big or huge soundstage.
Closed-back headphones have solid outer shells that largely isolate sound from passing in and out. These should be considered for gaming only if isolation is needed.
Other important properties for gaming are accurate imaging, good separation and high detail retrieval. Soundstage is how well distance to sound sources is portrayed. Imaging is the location of sound sources across the soundstage. Separation is filtering out individual sound sources from a range of sounds. Bass is good for immersion but diminishes detailing and awareness.

If you get headphones with a big soundstage, there's no difference to little difference in how three-dimensional the environment/space sounds like when comparing stereo to virtual surround sound. Due to compression, virtual surround sound degrades the fidelity and diminishes detailing and separation.

27 minutes ago, Tacanacy said:

Snip

A list of headphones without any explanation to any of them isn't really helpful at all.

They all have their own signature and audio is after all about finding the perfect signature for a given person.

OP can you maybe try and explain what type of sound you are looking for?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

A list of headphones without any explanation to any of them isn't really helpful at all.

They all have their own signature and audio is after all about finding the perfect signature for a given person.

OP can you maybe try and explain what type of sound you are looking for?

Then search for headphones by yourselves. You have it very fucking easy when someone recommends nearly every reputable open-back headphones that are ideal for gaming to you, within a price range, of course. I've explained important sonic properties for gaming. I wouldn't recommend certain headphones for gaming if they didn't have good performance in regard to that, with consideration to budgets, of course. It's not my job to read and listen to reviews and report this back to you. I note down strongly recommended headphones that I find for gaming, which has taken a year to accumulate. I don't remember what people have said about even my own headphones anymore. As far as I've seen here, on /r/headphones, Head-Fi, Tom's Hardware, I'm the most knowledgeable person for headphones for gaming. Which is frankly very sad. So go and criticize other people.

1 minute ago, Tacanacy said:

Then search for headphones by yourselves. You have it very fucking easy when someone recommends nearly every reputable open-back headphones that are ideal for gaming to you, within a price range, of course. I've explained important sonic properties for gaming. I wouldn't recommend certain headphones for gaming if they didn't have good performance in regard to that, with consideration to budgets, of course. It's not my job to read and listen to reviews and report this back to you. I note down strongly recommended headphones that I find for gaming, which has taken a year to accumulate. I don't remember what people have said about even my own headphones anymore. As far as I've seen here, on /r/headphones, Head-Fi, Tom's Hardware, I'm the most knowledgeable person for headphones for gaming. Which is frankly very sad. So go and criticize other people.

kek, step that down from that high horse. This is about helping people finding the headphone that fits them, not much help just listing a ton of headphones and tell them to go look them all up, especially with cancer sites like Head-Fi floating around. The audio world is very confusing and not the most friendly place, plus there is a lot of BS floating around out there, so why make it harder for the new people than it needs to be? Instead, share knowledge and help them guide through the audio world.

Want me to say gratz to you for being on multiple forums? You aren't the only one that does that, there are multiple people here that are on multiple forums, myself included...

Dude, I think you should think twice before letting BS out like "I'm the most knowledgeable person for headphones for gaming"... You haven't even been on this forum for that long, nor have you even seen close to what I know about audio, so maybe stop those remarks, plus there are other people on this forum that knows a lot about audio.

Also why so aggressive? Can't handle a bit of critic of what you wrote? It is not even of you... There is a difference between you and what you write. A critic of what you write has basically nothing to do with you as a person.

I don't know you and you don't know me, so why this attitude towards me? If this is how you react and act, then you are going to get on my bad side.

And now let's not derail this thread, this is about helping the OP nothing else.

@JCooper you gotta give us some more info so we can find headphones that both fit your signature taste while still being good for gaming. It is not worth much to buy a pair of headphones that are great for gaming, but you just hate the sound of.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

>As far as I've seen here, on /r/headphones, Head-Fi, Tom's Hardware, I'm the most knowledgeable person for headphones for gaming.

kek

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

kek, step that down from that high horse. This is about helping people finding the headphone that fits them, not much help just listing a ton of headphones and tell them to go look them all up, especially with cancer sites like Head-Fi floating around. The audio world is very confusing and not the most friendly place, plus there is a lot of BS floating around out there, so why make it harder for the new people than it needs to be? Instead, share knowledge and help them guide through the audio world.

Want me to say gratz to you for being on multiple forums? You aren't the only one that does that, there are multiple people here that are on multiple forums, myself included...

Dude, I think you should think twice before letting BS out like "I'm the most knowledgeable person for headphones for gaming"... You haven't even been on this forum for that long, nor have you even seen close to what I know about audio, so maybe stop those remarks, plus there are other people on this forum that knows a lot about audio.

Also why so aggressive? Can't handle a bit of critic of what you wrote? It is not even of you... There is a difference between you and what you write. A critic of what you write has basically nothing to do with you as a person.

I don't know you and you don't know me, so why this attitude towards me? If this is how you react and act, then you are going to get on my bad side.

And now let's not derail this thread, this is about helping the OP nothing else.

@JCooper you gotta give us some more info so we can find headphones that both fit your signature taste while still being good for gaming. It is not worth much to buy a pair of headphones that are great for gaming, but you just hate the sound of.

I'm not arrogant. This is what I've observed from reading people's recommendations for gaming and their reasons for their recommendations, or rather the lack of variety of headphones and mics, and reasons. I wrote AS FAR as I have SEEN. I've paid attention to every thread for gaming here the last four weeks. I didn't fucking claim to be the most knowledgeable person for headphones for gaming here or in the world. I didn't ask for props for being on multiple forums. I didn't even indicate that being on multiple forums is great or whatever. The reason why I'm irritated is right there in my previous post. Your criticism was not warranted, especially not when there are many, many people in threads like this who recommend maybe one or two headphones and only describe them as good or great, and you don't go after them. Nor did I write that you criticized me personally. Make another assumption and strip more context and you will reconsider what you thought to be aggressive. We have come across each other before in a headphone stand thread, so I don't like you. I don't give a shit about being on your bad side. Yes, poor anyone who gets a list of good and great performance headphones and mics handed to them with criteria that are important, essential, tactical, immersive, whatever, for their purpose and descriptions of the criteria. I know very well that the audio scene is hard. I have very vivid memories of how it was like to get into audio and still is. Nobody explained anything of what I did to OP for me. I've done the work by myself. I wish I had all of these options from the get-go. If researching such a small amount of headphones and mics for needs or desires that you already know meet these to some degree or a big degree, is too hard, then your life is going to be unbearable. How lazy, entitled and weak-minded can you be? Jesus Christ. I'll state in the future that people can ask me personal follow-up questions, which shouldn't be necessary on a freaking forum.

11 hours ago, Tacanacy said:

Headphones:

• AKG K701
  • AKG K612 Pro
  • AKG K550
  • Beyerdynamic DT990
  • Beyerdynamic DT880
  • Beyerdynamic DT770
  • Philips SHP9500
  • Sennheiser HD598
  • Sennheiser HD558
  • Sennheiser HD518

Mics:

• Antlion ModMic 5.0, 4.0
  • Massdrop MiniMic
  • Neewer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
  • Sony ECMCS3
  • V-MODA BoomPro
  • Zalman ZM-Mic1

People are probably going to recommend HyperX Cloud (which is sonically the same as Cloud II and CloudX), but I do not recommend it because it has a small soundstage, inaccurate imaging and the fidelity sounds very muddy. A much better option for a similar or the same price is Superlux HD668B with replacement earpads of better quality and a ModMic. The headphones have a big soundstage, accurate imaging and good clarity and detail retrieval.

Open-back headphones have perforations/grills that allow sound to pass in and out, so outside noise can be easily heard and people around you can hear much of the sound coming from the headphones. The benefit to this is generally a big or huge soundstage.
Closed-back headphones have solid outer shells that largely isolate sound from passing in and out. These should be considered for gaming only if isolation is needed.
Other important properties for gaming are accurate imaging, good separation and high detail retrieval. Soundstage is how well distance to sound sources is portrayed. Imaging is the location of sound sources across the soundstage. Separation is filtering out individual sound sources from a range of sounds. Bass is good for immersion but diminishes detailing and awareness.

If you get headphones with a big soundstage, there's no difference to little difference in how three-dimensional the environment/space sounds like when comparing stereo to virtual surround sound. Due to compression, virtual surround sound degrades the fidelity and diminishes detailing and separation.

Thank you so much, I ordered some beyerdynamic dt990 pros 

17 hours ago, Tacanacy said:

Headphones:

• AKG K701
  • AKG K612 Pro
  • AKG K550
  • Beyerdynamic DT990
  • Beyerdynamic DT880
  • Beyerdynamic DT770
  • Philips SHP9500
  • Sennheiser HD598
  • Sennheiser HD558
  • Sennheiser HD518

-snip-

So for those who's saying they need some explanation, I do have most of the headphones so I'll try to explain it, but please take this with a grain of salt since everyone's ear is different and my opinions may be biased. And oh, since English isn't my mother language, please bear with my bad English.

I'll start from my favorite headphones, which is the DT990 PRO (250ohms version). It is clear and bright (no muddy bass here, bye basshead) and has the widest sound stage. This does make it easier to locate where the sound is coming from. Since there is not much of a bass (i love edm and dubstep) I don't really enjoy listening to EDM or Dubstep. Pop song on the other hand is just amazing. Just a quick note though, since they are open back playing on LANs or public space will definitely annoy people around you. And since I use the PRO version, you will need an extra amp in order to utilize this headphone to its maximum potential.

The DT770 PRO on the other hand is just a closed-back and smaller version of the DT990. It is not so clear and they have an awkward bass (they are muddy somehow but since all the DT series are fine tuned for treble-monitoring they are a bit awkward in my ear). It is pretty much the same as the DT990 with an exception that it is smaller and had a closed-back which make the sound stage narrower than the DT990 and therefore I do not recommend this if you need to hear things at a distance.

The HD558 was my first headphone but I dropped it right away after I discovered the DT990. For me, the HD558 was perfect, the tight bass when listening to Rock music, the good velour pads, the not so high and gentle treble but they are not as open as the DT990. Overall, it is quite a good choice if you are accustomed to in-ear headset.

The ATH-AD900X was awful. Atleast to my ear. They are so monotone, they are true monitoring headphones. They do have weak bass, they have uncontrolled trebles, their mid's are just fine, you name it. It has a wider sound-stage than the DT990 but since I am more of a music listener than monitors so yeah, I dropped it.

The K550's maybe my favorite headphone if DT990 never came out. Although they are closed-back their sound-stage is just as great (but no where nearly) the DT990. They are pretty airy for a closed-back. It does get a bit warm after a few hours of use for me though. The bass are fine, the high is controlled but the mid is amazing. They do not leave any single details in the vocals. I can hear pretty much every single kana without having to repeat the song.

I never used the SHP9500 personally, but the Philips Fidelio X2 is amazing. They are a masterpiece. Atleast the first few batch. And it is way more expensive than most of the headphones listed. Well, you got what you pay.

I couldn't speak for the rest of the headphones since I do not own them personally, and again, please take this with a grain of salt. I am sorry if anyone was offended by this writing as I could be biased since everyone's ear is different.

More stuff:

I only have the ModMic 4 (this is the only mic i had from the list above) and I should say it is amazing. They have a good sound quality but still pretty weak in my opinion since I have to do +30dB boost in order for everyone online to hear me. It is not recommended if you are a soft-talker, but if you do shout from time-to-time then it is a great thing. I do not know about ModMic 5 on the other hand since I do not leave in the US and getting items from US to Japan is pretty hard due to taxes and regulations.

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

No promises @TenzoNakami but I am working really hard on getting a distribution deal in Japan right now :D

Also it sounds like your mic isnt getting enough phantom power voltage? USB ports, which will require a USB adapter, can output around 4.5v - 5v if you get the right one. Syba seems to be doing a decent job of keeping their quality mildly ok - that should really help your mic gain issue. Certain other products can also supply 12v phantom power, which will work as well.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions about what we can do to improve your ModMic volume issue Tenzo, I am happy to help out!

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!