Average vs peak temperatures while gaming

Go to solution Solved by astrosheen,
1 minute ago, Andrevcn said:

Yes, I really wanted to mount the radiator on the front but unfortunatelly there wasn't enough space, so I have to deal with the GPU heat affecting it. Running aida64 without the GPU stress test gives me a better temperature. However, I don't see that as being the reason for the difference between the average and peak, as the CPU itself is affect indirectly, because what is being heated by the GPU is actually the radiator and therefore the liquid. Once those temperatures have stabilized, those spikes should be the CPUs own "fault". 

Temperature spikes have been increased since Intel stopped soldering the IHS to the CPU. The temperature spikes are due to how fast the CPU's run and the rapid changing in the CPU voltage and utilisation and where that utilisation is occurring. Some parts of the CPU produce more heat than others. 

My CPU temperatures reach a max 70C while playing BF1, I expect that to be about 75C in the summer (southern hemisphere), and the average I found on full load through aida64 was 66C on the hottest core. Which is more important? I ask because I have a hard time believing that it's a huge deal when the CPU reaches a certain high temperature for just half a second or less. If it is, why exactly? Also, even though I am paranoid myself currently with my new pc, aren't we all a little bit too concerned about it? I have a notebook that reaches 105C on full load (like watching a video on YouTube, it's pretty old) and never goes lower than 85C on idle. That has been running for a decade (!). 

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

ok thats good 

average is more important, because peak temperature doesn't matter because its only a spike once in a while.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

My CPU temperatures reach a max 70C while playing BF1, I expect that to be about 75C in the summer (southern hemisphere), and the average I found on full load through aida64 was 66C on the hottest core. Which is more important? I ask because I have a hard time believing that it's a huge deal when the CPU reaches a certain high temperature for just half a second or less. If it is, why exactly? Also, even though I am paranoid myself currently with my new pc, aren't we all a little bit too concerned about it? I have a notebook that reaches 105C on full load (like watching a video on YouTube, it's pretty old) and never goes lower than 85C on idle. That has been running for a decade (!). 

The reason there is a difference in those temperatures is the GPU. The GPU will be dumping a lot of hot air into your case which I'm guessing is sent out the top through the h115i heating it up a bit on the way. They are both important in their own way but I would care more about the 66C as if that rises towards 80 then you could be heading towards 90 under cpu and gpu load. Overall those temperatures are perfect and to be expected and completely safe so no worries really

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

12 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

The reason there is a difference in those temperatures is the GPU. The GPU will be dumping a lot of hot air into your case which I'm guessing is sent out the top through the h115i heating it up a bit on the way. They are both important in their own way but I would care more about the 66C as if that rises towards 80 then you could be heading towards 90 under cpu and gpu load. Overall those temperatures are perfect and to be expected and completely safe so no worries really

Yes, I really wanted to mount the radiator on the front but unfortunatelly there wasn't enough space, so I have to deal with the GPU heat affecting it. Running aida64 without the GPU stress test gives me a better temperature. However, I don't see that as being the reason for the difference between the average and peak, as the CPU itself is affected indirectly, because what is being heated by the GPU is actually the radiator and therefore the liquid. Once those temperatures have stabilized, those spikes should be the CPUs own "fault". 

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

Yes, I really wanted to mount the radiator on the front but unfortunatelly there wasn't enough space, so I have to deal with the GPU heat affecting it. Running aida64 without the GPU stress test gives me a better temperature. However, I don't see that as being the reason for the difference between the average and peak, as the CPU itself is affect indirectly, because what is being heated by the GPU is actually the radiator and therefore the liquid. Once those temperatures have stabilized, those spikes should be the CPUs own "fault". 

Temperature spikes have been increased since Intel stopped soldering the IHS to the CPU. The temperature spikes are due to how fast the CPU's run and the rapid changing in the CPU voltage and utilisation and where that utilisation is occurring. Some parts of the CPU produce more heat than others. 

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Just now, astrosheen said:

Yeah, I thought that made sense, but I just couldn't believe this crap Intel has been doing would affect it to such a degree (no pun intended).