....... Again help with temps

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,

if you can feel vibration on the tubes (my best guess at guessing whether the pump is at least "trying") you can try to unmount the radiator from the top and see if theres potentially an airlock somewhere in the AIO in an inconvinient place. or just shake the case up - its possible you have air in the pump and the fluid is not moving. Otherwise make sure theres nothing silly external to the PC that could be affecting the water temperature - i.e. nothing that can heat up the water while the system is off (as silly as this sounds, like a sunny window shining into the side panel and making the inside of your case a little greenhouse)

to me this is not acceptable i have my 6700k runing 4.2ghz at 1.255V i want to push more but.........
now idk if my PC is haunted like Linus's are, but RN im running idle at 50-60C on a H110i GTX the big 280 rad with the ridiculously powerful fans
don't think that's right
well for the past 5 months really EVERY time i turn on my PC no matter what i do Ie thermal paste, lower volts, reseating even the CPU, tamper with bios settings like i turned my C state on and it doesnt do anything :/  another issue idk how to resolve
and the weird part is after all of that My temps are RANDOM (room at 21C)
sometimes ill boot into 27C idle with 52C under Prime95 v266 30 minutes in. that day i played mass effect Andromeda at 2K and around 24-60% utilization only managed to hit 38-46C thats like 6 hours in 
other days i boot to 32-37C idle 
even 42-47C 
but RN at 52-60C on Idle 
IDK if its a problem with the AIO but like ive seen it keep my CPU cooler than even expected along with hotter than i wanted 
Note: im not looking for its fine  or the temps are within reason  or as long as your below 90c 
my rig contains( about 1 year and 5 months i believe is its age)
6700k OC to 4.2 at 1.255V 
with the H110i GTX AIO 
MSI Z170A Gaming pro
MSI 980ti Gaming
Kingston ram 4x4gb 2666mhz
on a cooler master 750W

regular cleaning and one complete rebuild i did for fun (to try to solve the issue)

Things ive already tried
-turning it off and on again :D
-New Thermal paste 
-cleaning
-rebuilding the whole thing

-Bios down volt (first time this started happening actually i had volt on Auto and it was running stock at 1.36V i dropped to 1.225V and temps didnt change)
-turned off turbo itel sped step

-another issue i turn on my C-state but it doesnt seem to do anything my cousin has a 4790k and ive seen it drop its speed to .96GHZ at idle so i assume thats C-State at work

Desktop 06.14.2017 - 13.51.29.02.png

Did you just get from gaming?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Did you just get from gaming?

no actually just booted like an hour ago to see 48C then did a quick reboot to see 52C and then came here :(
the systems been off for 10 hours before that 
i know its ghost but i want to know im not crazy before i call ghost busters

I'm assuming you always check your "after booting" temps after a while, since it could be that your CPU was involved in a startup process. Otherwise potentially malware?

Just now, For Science! said:

I'm assuming you always check your "after booting" temps after a while, since it could be that your CPU was involved in a startup process. Otherwise potentially malware?

yes and my pc is clean of malware nothing gets past my nose :ph34r: after an hour i can take another screen shot im still at around 50-60C at 2% usage -_-

forgot to add this ive even done a complete reinstall of windows 

Just now, Wolf10K said:

forgot to add this ive even done a complete reinstall of windows 

Whats quite striking to me, and probably the real question is: Why is your water so hot? Your Corsair Link reads that the water is a whopping 45 degrees, and so a 12 degree delta at idle is probably "within reason".

Fresh from a cold boot, the water should be ambient temperature. So either your pump is dying or something strange is happening in the case.

if you can feel vibration on the tubes (my best guess at guessing whether the pump is at least "trying") you can try to unmount the radiator from the top and see if theres potentially an airlock somewhere in the AIO in an inconvinient place. or just shake the case up - its possible you have air in the pump and the fluid is not moving. Otherwise make sure theres nothing silly external to the PC that could be affecting the water temperature - i.e. nothing that can heat up the water while the system is off (as silly as this sounds, like a sunny window shining into the side panel and making the inside of your case a little greenhouse)

Just now, For Science! said:

Whats quite striking to me, and probably the real question is: Why is your water so hot? Your Corsair Link reads that the water is a whopping 45 degrees, and so a 12 degree delta at idle is probably "within reason".

Fresh from a cold boot, the water should be ambient temperature. So either your pump is dying or something strange is happening in the case.

Well within reason ive seen it stay 20C delta like 36 with 56 on cores 
i thought it was my pump to until i turned down my pump speed and my temps rose 5-10degrees withing 20 seconds and if i let it run at the lower speed the water gets hotter eventually i mean 280 rad has some water in it id expect to even see 75C idle then turned it back up to see it fall back 
hour and 30 minutes in water is inching down probably cause my room is getting to 20C at this point and my pacake is at 50C still too hot for me 

and yea i thought that too about the water but again if i boot in say an hour im going to get different temps that i am now like it isnt just different temps then it come back to this issue as in if I boot to 27C game for 5 hours reach like 55C max it drops to 27C again untill i boot again and it goes to say 35 or 41 or 50
dare i play at 50C idle 

I dunno if this has been mentioned but I would recommend re mounting the cooler and making sure u have the washers and the screws etc.... I had to use washers on my backplate on my h100i back in the day to get it to hold tight enough for a good mount! So try a fresh clean and new paste and a re mount

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

not really case is on my desk in the corner of my room (NZXT H440) with ample breathing area like 8in clearence from the wall 
ill check for the vibrations thats actually a good point 
i can say about 2 weeks again i had this problem i moved my tubing slightly and it was fine after that but idk 
ima try tapping 

May or may not be relevent, but some sensor on your motherboard is reading 127 degrees.... What is it? or is it just an erroneous sensor? and if you think it is erroneous, are there chances that all the temp readings are dodgy?

Just now, Samsterstorm said:

I dunno if this has been mentioned but I would recommend re mounting the cooler and making sure u have the washers and the screws etc.... I had to use washers on my backplate on my h100i back in the day to get it to hold tight enough for a good mount! So try a fresh clean and new paste and a re mount

the first time around i had that exact same problem with the seating i pushed down on my mount and my temps were better untill i went out got some MX-4 and bam i hit 24C after that boot and fixing/ reseating my back plate 
and yea ive tried seating my rad front mount and back to top mount but nothing untill i replaced my Thermal paste but again :P problems are back to haunt me 

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

May or may not be relevent, but some sensor on your motherboard is reading 127 degrees.... What is it? or is it just an erroneous sensor? and if you think it is erroneous, are there chances that all the temp readings are dodgy?

i hadnt noticed that for the longest time but when i did i checked with my brother and my cousin and a friend and they all have that 127C on MB temp 4 IDk what it is but i assume its like that or just a sensor in link that isnt calibrated to an actual sensor to the mother board

Just now, Wolf10K said:

the first time around i had that exact same problem with the seating i pushed down on my mount and my temps were better untill i went out got some MX-4 and bam i hit 24C after that boot and fixing/ reseating my back plate 
and yea ive tried seating my rad front mount and back to top mount but nothing untill i replaced my Thermal paste but again :P problems are back to haunt me 

Hmmmm, well my only suggestion is u may have a bad batch of paste under the CPU's heat spreader? That happened on my 4790k it used to idle at 75c on my h100i, I got a RMA and my new one is like 28c on idle on a hot day on my custom loop with a thick 240.... Try a CPU RMA and see where that gets u! One last thing the water temprature sensor for corsair AIO's is like right by the pump so if the RAD is only very slightly warm or cold then the pump may not be moving water at all! With water temps that high one tube should be cold an another hot! 

Personal message me if u want any other help bud

3 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Intel's sensors are built into the chip and just about the best u can get in my opinion so I would suggest that CPU temps are a good reading! especially if the water is hot as well! 

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

so um do you think corsair would send a replacement part if their was air in my AIO ? xDxDxD
tapping my tubing did nothing taping the pump did nothing taping my rad well 5941af084882e_Desktop06_14.2017-14_47_19_03.thumb.png.196e3717528a68c3c94e7725702dd0cf.png

so did the temps just massively fluctuate? your water just dropped 12 degrees in temperature....If its still under warranty you could consider getting in touch - although I dont think a little bit of air is within the reasons for RMA, but a dodgy pump may be if you suscpect one.

2 minutes ago, Samsterstorm said:

Hmmmm, well my only suggestion is u may have a bad batch of paste under the CPU's heat spreader? That happened on my 4790k it used to idle at 75c on my h100i, I got a RMA and my new one is like 28c on idle on a hot day on my custom loop with a thick 240.... Try a CPU RMA and see where that gets u! One last thing the water temprature sensor for corsair AIO's is like right by the pump so if the RAD is only very slightly warm or cold then the pump may not be moving water at all! With water temps that high one tube should be cold an another hot! 

Personal message me if u want any other help bud

Intel's sensors are built into the chip and just about the best u can get in my opinion so I would suggest that CPU temps are a good reading! especially if the water is hot as well! 

i thought of that but usually an indicator of BAD TIM on the DIE is giving but a high delta on core to core temps like 15C delta between the cores 
and yes ive felt that water hot on one side of pump and cold on the other i think its cool especially since i know the science behind it likewise one tubing went out hot and one in cold when i got these bad temps 

3 minutes ago, Wolf10K said:

so um do you think corsair would send a replacement part if their was air in my AIO ? xDxDxD
tapping my tubing did nothing taping the pump did nothing taping my rad well 5941af084882e_Desktop06_14.2017-14_47_19_03.thumb.png.196e3717528a68c3c94e7725702dd0cf.png

Corsair will send u and RMA anyway if there's any thought of an issue! If u contact support and show them screenshots etc... then they will sort it! I think it maybe a bad pump with temps that high  

2 minutes ago, Wolf10K said:

i thought of that but usually an indicator of BAD TIM on the DIE is giving but a high delta on core to core temps like 15C delta between the cores 
and yes ive felt that water hot on one side of pump and cold on the other i think its cool especially since i know the science behind it likewise one tubing went out hot and one in cold when i got these bad temps 

Okay so it is moving some water just not enough! A CPU is under a reasonable amount of load during startup which is enough to get the water hot so if its not moving then the water temp will be high! I think ur TIM maybe fine so I would RMA the cooler first or try another one if u can get hold of one to try before u send the AIO back 

And yeah science of thermodynamics is cool hahah :);)

i dont know if it would be the pump though as it is located on the CPU mount right? and taping the rad dropped it to like 32C as it is now and sitting here about 28C better than boot and 22C better than after an hour 

3 minutes ago, Wolf10K said:

i dont know if it would be the pump though as it is located on the CPU mount right? and taping the rad dropped it to like 32C as it is now and sitting here about 28C better than boot and 22C better than after an hour 

So maybe it was an airlock in the rad afterall. A bit of air is quite normal I believe (at least my H100i had some air inside it too, but without problem). I think if you can, mount the rad on the top so it (the air) can sit somewhere without hindering the flow too much. If  it looks okay like that, maybe leave it, or again contact Corsair if you are edging close to the end of warranty period.