CPU coolers

Lucifer02

hey guys i have a an i7-4790 @3.60GHz and a  GIGABYTE H8TM-S2PH mother board  and i use this PC to game with at this moment i have the general intel  fan cooler for the CPU( in the image below) and since I live in the UAE parts are a bit expensive and scarce but i've managed to find a cooler master CPU cooler for $40 http://tnydu.biz/DUibai should i buy the second hand and if yes what advantage will it exactly give me.

Btw i play many different games some are intensive like BF4 and BF3 some less intensive like guild wars 2 and age of empires and my PC is on almost 24/7

WhatsApp Image 2017-06-14 at 10.27.56 PM.jpeg

You don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler for that CPU.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

6 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Au contraire, mon capitan. The 4770 and 4790 are hot CPUs whether locked or unlocked. During extended gaming sessions, one would certainly see an improvement in temperature and noise with even a cheapo aftermarket tower.

@Lucifer02, that looks like a Hyper T4. That's a solid cooler, more or less the same thing as a 212 EVO but a bit more compact. $40 is definitely steep for it, but if it's the best and cheapest you can find and noise is a problem for you, this would definitely keep temps down and fan noise lower.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

18 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

the CPU is to powerfull and will throttle after a while. while you dont NEED one the lowerd noice and never haveing it throttle are nice things to have.

OP that cooler is quite expensive but if its your cheapest choice id go for it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

16 minutes ago, Lucifer02 said:

Snip

Do you have a dedicated graphics card? investing money in a half decent card will give you massively better performance than investing in a CPU cooler. the iGPU in your 4790 isn't really designed for gaming, and is likely the majority of the issues you may be having with your games if that is what you're using to fuel your monitor.

As far as CPU coolers go, you don't really need one as its not going to result in much better performance, if any... the primary advantage of adding a cooler to that CPU instead of the stock cooler would be merely to keep things quieter, and to increase the lifespan of the CPU by keeping it cooler for a longer period of time. That being said, even with the stock cooler, that CPU is likely to live longer than you will have a use for it. 

The real surprise to me in all this is that there seems to be an H81 board out there with a parallel port.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The real surprise to me in all this is that there seems to be an H81 board out there with a parallel port.

why is that good or bad 

excuse my ignorance I've just entered the master race properly 

8 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Do you have a dedicated graphics card? investing money in a half decent card will give you massively better performance than investing in a CPU cooler. the iGPU in your 4790 isn't really designed for gaming, and is likely the majority of the issues you may be having with your games if that is what you're using to fuel your monitor.

As far as CPU coolers go, you don't really need one as its not going to result in much better performance, if any... the primary advantage of adding a cooler to that CPU instead of the stock cooler would be merely to keep things quieter, and to increase the lifespan of the CPU by keeping it cooler for a longer period of time. That being said, even with the stock cooler, that CPU is likely to live longer than you will have a use for it. 

i will be getting a case with cooler fans and i am getting a 1050Ti very soon 

2 minutes ago, Lucifer02 said:

why is that good or bad 

excuse my ignorance I've just entered the master race properly 

Not good or bad at all, I'd just never seen a parallel port on a Haswell board before. One's 2014 tech, one's 2004 (or earlier).

3 minutes ago, Lucifer02 said:

i will be getting a case with cooler fans and i am getting a 1050Ti very soon

I would go so far to say instead of getting a $40 cooler, use that $40 to increase the performance of your GPU solution. get an rx470/570 or rx480/580 or GTX 1060 6GB over a 1050ti if you can. increasing the power of your graphics solution will yield significantly more performance for your investment over a CPU cooler purchase. I would only really recommend upgrading the CPU cooler if its obnoxiously loud or is causing your CPU to thermally throttle. the stock i7 cooler shouldn't do that, although it can depend on total case airflow, how clean the cooler is (if its clogged with dust it will perform poorly) and/or how hot the room around it is.

So if your CPU cooler is not obnoxiously loud or causing your CPU to thermally throttle, then I would highly recommend spending as much as possible on your GPU selection as that will yield the most resulting gaming performance.

19 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Not good or bad at all, I'd just never seen a parallel port on a Haswell board before. One's 2014 tech, one's 2004 (or earlier).

Those kind of ports are common for lower end boards. Since those boards are targeted to people who are on budget and might use older tech needing such. Like old printer or fax machine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Those kind of ports are common for lower end boards. Since those boards are targeted to people who are on budget and might use older tech needing such. Like old printer or fax machine.

It makes perfect sense from that point of view. Are there any 1151 boards out there with parallel ports that you know of?