need to do some mining, but idk if any of my GPUs would work for it...

Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,

thread irelevant, fount that the only current miner uses the CPU mainly for mining and that you need software beyond what i have the time to bother with to use a GPU. mining system will be:

I3 2130

8800GT

1TB HDD

G750M

2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz

which is basically the hardware i just have around lol

basically i need to mine some, not even all that much, of a similar thing to bitcoin(i think its basically bitcoin but not) but idk what to mine with, here is the hardware i have on hand:

I7 2600

GTX 660

8800 GT

I3 2130

a few AM3 chips

like 20 P4s

anyway idk what of that can be used for mining if at all, il be mining of Linux and mining a very similar thing to bitcoin for a project. i dont feel like using my main rig for this beause im always using it, and even though this isnt going to be that much mining, i havent been sucessfull in setting up the miner on WIndows(no, you cant help me with that, dont bother) and im not going to dual boot. 

anyway idk what of that would crank out the most gigely hashes per second but i would guess the 660 or I7 but idk. thanks for any help here :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Jorgen297 said:

What's your main rig? Older cards are power inefficient for mining. 

970 and I7 4790K but as i said, im not going to be using it to mine unless i can wrangle the miner to work for me. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

No they would make you less money than anything because the have such a low hashrate and if your bitcoin mining just don't the ASIC machines just trump that but everything except bitcoin is good but you really can't make much money off of it and you have to factor in your power bill and expense 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

970 and I7 4790K but as i said, im not going to be using it to mine unless i can wrangle the miner to work for me. 

if you have a 970 it would be worth mining assuming your power cost is 0.12 per kwh

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

No they would make you less money than anything because the have such a low hashrate and if your bitcoin mining just don't the ASIC machines just trump that but everything except bitcoin is good but you really can't make much money off of it and you have to factor in your power bill and expense 

powe isnt an issue and i dont care about any sort of profit at all, it just needs to work somewhat, as long as it can do that il be good. i dont know if you can even mine bitcoin with NVIDIA cards tbh, i know nothing about this stuff exept that AMD cards are good at it lol

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Alaradia said:

if you have a 970 it would be worth mining assuming your power cost is 0.12 per kwh

not mining for any sort of profit. at all. i just need to do a small amount of it for a project. i just need to know if any of the hardware listed will even work

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

not mining for any sort of profit. at all. i just need to do a small amount of it for a project. i just need to know if any of the hardware listed will even work

if you have a gtx 970 that will work nothing else you listed would work if its just for a project you can use the ethereum test net where you can get free ethereum for testing 

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

powe isnt an issue and i dont care about any sort of profit at all, it just needs to work somewhat, as long as it can do that il be good. i dont know if you can even mine bitcoin with NVIDIA cards tbh, i know nothing about this stuff exept that AMD cards are good at it lol

Yeah but if you have any better gear use it on your spare time it will help in the end

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It will work but it won't have anything big come from it

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Yeah but if you have any better gear use it on your spare time it will help in the end

like the amount i need to mine is tiny, as long as any of this works il do it.

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

if you have a gtx 970 that will work nothing else you listed would work if its just for a project you can use the ethereum test net where you can get free ethereum for testing 

i need to mine a thing thats basically not on the web, mining something other then the thing im mining which is basically bitcoin but not, has no value to me.

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

It will work but it won't have anything big come from it

see this is the answer i wanted in the first place, as long as it works its good enough. thank you!

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

like the amount i need to mine is tiny, as long as any of this works il do it.

i need to mine a thing thats basically not on the web, mining something other then the thing im mining which is basically bitcoin but not, has no value to me.

see this is the answer i wanted in the first place, as long as it works its good enough. thank you!

ethereum is like bitcoin it just has more features its the second most popular crypto currency. and the ethereum network has a testnet and that you could get easyily you could also mine siacoin with your 660

14 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

basically i need to mine some, not even all that much, of a similar thing to bitcoin(i think its basically bitcoin but not) but idk what to mine with, here is the hardware i have on hand:

I7 2600

GTX 660

8800 GT

I3 2130

a few AM3 chips

like 20 P4s

anyway idk what of that can be used for mining if at all, il be mining of Linux and mining a very similar thing to bitcoin for a project. i dont feel like using my main rig for this beause im always using it, and even though this isnt going to be that much mining, i havent been sucessfull in setting up the miner on WIndows(no, you cant help me with that, dont bother) and im not going to dual boot. 

anyway idk what of that would crank out the most gigely hashes per second but i would guess the 660 or I7 but idk. thanks for any help here :D 

RX 580 , RX 580 best card for mining right now 

2 minutes ago, LiquidMotionz said:

RX 580 , RX 580 best card for mining right now 

i dont care, they are like $400 here. im not going to be buying anything for this.

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

ethereum is like bitcoin it just has more features its the second most popular crypto currency. and the ethereum network has a testnet and that you could get easyily you could also mine siacoin with your 660

yah but this is a separeate thing i need to mine some of. i dont need to mine bitcoin, i dont need to mine something else, i need to mine this specific thing thats very close to bitcoin but not. mining anything else would be counter productive for me. i just needed to know if the hardware would work to mine with at all.

Builds:

Spoiler

You could always try running nice hash. it is a multi algo mining program that picks the most profitable supported coin for your card. I get about $10 a day with my GTX 1080

Intel 7600K Over Clocked to 4.8 jibahurtz, GTX 1080 Founders Edition space heater, Cooler Master 212 Evo jet engine, 8GB DDR4 Ballistic Ram, 250GB hyperX ssd, Fractel Design Define S, Blue snowball on an arm mount, mismatched god monitors, dual keyboards, LG mouse (no vital signs, Think it died.)

If you need to mine a specific coin the only way for us to accurately tell you what's best is for you to tell us what coin it is as different coins work better with different hardware

Intel 7600K Over Clocked to 4.8 jibahurtz, GTX 1080 Founders Edition space heater, Cooler Master 212 Evo jet engine, 8GB DDR4 Ballistic Ram, 250GB hyperX ssd, Fractel Design Define S, Blue snowball on an arm mount, mismatched god monitors, dual keyboards, LG mouse (no vital signs, Think it died.)

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont care, they are like $400 here. im not going to be buying anything for this.

yah but this is a separeate thing i need to mine some of. i dont need to mine bitcoin, i dont need to mine something else, i need to mine this specific thing thats very close to bitcoin but not. mining anything else would be counter productive for me. i just needed to know if the hardware would work to mine with at all.

if its close to bitcoin it would be using sha256 so it would be a asic mined currency which means non of your hardware would work. though if its a new coin its probly not sha if you tell us the coin we can tell you what you need to mine it....

7 minutes ago, unholyprfection said:

If you need to mine a specific coin the only way for us to accurately tell you what's best is for you to tell us what coin it is as different coins work better with different hardware

Lets just leave it at "specific thing thats very close to bitcoin but not.". It has a somewhat philosophical ring to it.

[ Intel i7-6700K ][ Asus TUF Sabertooth Mk1 Z170 ][ Gigabyte GTX 780ti ][ 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z ][ Corsair Obsidian 900D ]

[ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM ][ 1x512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (OS) ][ 3x512GB Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 ][ 1x5TB WD Black ]

6 minutes ago, unholyprfection said:

anything that will mine bitcoin will work.

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

if its close to bitcoin it would be using sha256 so it would be a asic mined currency which means non of your hardware would work. though if its a new coin its probly not sha if you tell us the coin we can tell you what you need to mine it....

the only thing i can say about it currently is that anything that will mine bitcoin will mine this stuff too. 

Builds:

Spoiler

the only thing i can say about it currently is that anything that will mine bitcoin will mine this stuff too. 

well then you have to buy an asic miner you can find them on ebay 

any GPU technically can but it will be extremely slow and not profitable

Just now, Alaradia said:

well then you have to buy an asic miner you can find them on ebay 

i thought there you could mine it with GPUs and CPUs? 

Just now, unholyprfection said:

any GPU technically can but it will be extremely slow and not profitable

really dosent need to be profitable in any calculator, litteraly just need to work. for now i have set up my I3 an 8800 GT and il try run it. i have spend more time asking in this thread then setting up the machine lol

Builds:

Spoiler

i thought there you could mine it with GPUs and CPUs? 

really dosent need to be profitable in any calculator, litteraly just need to work. for now i have set up my I3 an 8800 GT and il try run it. i have spend more time asking in this thread then setting up the machine lol

not with bitcoin the asics have made it so its not possible 

as long as you have the software to mine it you should (in theory) be able to

Just now, Alaradia said:

not with bitcoin the asics have made it so its not possible 

He is talking about a different sha256 coin not btc

1 minute ago, unholyprfection said:

as long as you have the software to mine it you should (in theory) be able to

He is talking about a different sha256 coin not btc

yeah but if it is sha256 other people with asic miners will be hitting it hard probably at least 1th and there may not be pools for this coin yet so hes fucked 

thread irelevant, fount that the only current miner uses the CPU mainly for mining and that you need software beyond what i have the time to bother with to use a GPU. mining system will be:

I3 2130

8800GT

1TB HDD

G750M

2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz

which is basically the hardware i just have around lol

Builds:

Spoiler