DSL Problem

Ging06

Not too sure which section I should put this in, my apologizes if this isn't it :).

So I've run into a problem, I am moving my modem into a different room, along with my router and switch etc.. But I would like to keep my landline/house phone in the living room. It runs a RJ11 with a DSL Signal (I believe) and I only have 1 wall socket for it that is in the living room right by it. I planned on buying 2 RJ11 to RJ45 cables and hook it up to a powerline adapter, but the frequency would not work out as I've found out through some research. Are there any other solutions to connecting the phone to my modem, without running a 40Ft cable through my house :P?

Thank you in advanced, Ryan.

Does this exist?: DSL Wireless Receiver, I connect the Phone to it with a RJ11 cable, and connect the wireless ADSL Modem to it. If this exists and does not work like that, maybe I would get a wireless receiver and one that sends over the signal or whatever it is called. As you clearly can see I lack much knowledge in this area of networking.

Thank you for your time, Ryan.

As far as I know, there are no such thing. It's easier, faster tand cheaper to run a new phone line to the room you need it.

Simply run the wire behind the baseboard, they are often easy to pull just enough to pass your phone line, so no need to bust open walls and no wires on the ground.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Let me make sure I follow, using these terms:  Room 1 = Living room, Room 2 = Other Room.  

You're trying to move the modem/router/switch/PC/etc. to Room 2, but want to keep the phone in room 1.  You only have 1 jack in the house that is located in room 1.  

If this is correct, have you tried looking into a wireless network bridge?  Wireless bridging is where you take another wireless router or wireless switch that can be set into a client bridge mode, which then received the wireless signal and distributes the network lines to other devices in the remote room.  You basically leave the modem & original router in Room 1.  You place the client bridge router/switch in Room 2, and connect all hardwired devices located in the room to the client bridge.

9 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

As far as I know, there are no such thing. It's easier, faster tand cheaper to run a new phone line to the room you need it.

Simply run the wire behind the baseboard, they are often easy to pull just enough to pass your phone line, so no need to bust open walls and no wires on the ground.

Thanks for the idea, Ill see how practical it is in my circumstances and i'll update you then :)

9 hours ago, Doramius said:

Let me make sure I follow, using these terms:  Room 1 = Living room, Room 2 = Other Room.  

You're trying to move the modem/router/switch/PC/etc. to Room 2, but want to keep the phone in room 1.  You only have 1 jack in the house that is located in room 1.  

If this is correct, have you tried looking into a wireless network bridge?  Wireless bridging is where you take another wireless router or wireless switch that can be set into a client bridge mode, which then received the wireless signal and distributes the network lines to other devices in the remote room.  You basically leave the modem & original router in Room 1.  You place the client bridge router/switch in Room 2, and connect all hardwired devices located in the room to the client bridge.

My main interest is in moving the modem etc.. Into room 2, but if I somewhat did that the other way round and connect the (ROOM 1) old router (Which will be the wireless network bridge) to the wireless (ROOM 2)modem, and allow that to translate it to a RJ11 and connect it into the phone. It will be easy to hide the old router somewhere in room 1.

8 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

That's what I had in mind (except for making holes in the walls);

http://www.instructables.com/id/Speaker-Wires-Under-Baseboards/

F5E1E73GN1I5YKZ.LARGE.jpg

Problem for me is everything is made of tiles and there is no gap in which to hide the wire. As it is tiles cutting out a groove for the wires is not an option. This was the standard of living in my country and wooden boards only have been introduced recently. 

Just now, Ging06 said:

Problem for me is everything is made of tiles and there is no gap in which to hide the wire. As it is tiles cutting out a groove for the wires is not an option. This was the standard of living in my country and wooden boards only have been introduced recently. 

lol sorry!

Never assume I guess :P

lol sorry!

Never assume I guess :P

Haha no worries, got any other ideas though? 

2 minutes ago, Ging06 said:

Haha no worries, got any other ideas though? 

Unfortunately, no. :(

Unfortunately, no. :(

Damn it, back to the drawing board. Thanks for the time though.

Why would you need an RJ11 in Room 2 in the setup you're describing?  Are you putting a phone in Room 2 as well? 

EDIT:  I was picturing the setup looking similar to this:

Capture.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 1:36 PM, Doramius said:

Why would you need an RJ11 in Room 2 in the setup you're describing?  Are you putting a phone in Room 2 as well? 

EDIT:  I was picturing the setup looking similar to this:

Capture.JPG

Thanks for the efforts, I've worked out a solution which involves changing the provider. Turns out the old provider was using a different method, and the new provider allows the home line not to be connected to the modem. Therefore I can connect the homephone where it was, all I had to do was change provider. Thanks again and sorry for the late reply mate!