Looking for 7700k Delidding Help

Go to solution Solved by Majestic,
14 minutes ago, Somnax said:

This is helpful. What should I replace the thermal paste with after though? 

Use a delidding tool for one, that der8auer kit is probably only really available in EU since he's shipping them via Caseking.de

Use something like Coollabaratory Liquid Ultra or Grizzly Conductonaut. Note that it's highly conductive, including electricity. Any spillage kills whatever it shorts.

Use either masking tape when applying, or coat the smd's next to the CPU with some paint or latex

I've never delidded a CPU before, but I can't stand how hot my 7700k gets, and how loud it makes my PC. I'm currently using a 280mm rad and it still gets into the 80s during gaming occasionally. Are there recommended kits I should use? And what should I replace the TIM with? Anything I should look out for when doing it? Any help is appreciated.

21 minutes ago, Somnax said:

I've never delidded a CPU before, but I can't stand how hot my 7700k gets, and how loud it makes my PC. I'm currently using a 280mm rad and it still gets into the 80s during gaming occasionally. Are there recommended kits I should use? And what should I replace the TIM with? Anything I should look out for when doing it? Any help is appreciated.

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

5 minutes ago, yathis said:

Just buy a better cooler bro

Better than a Corsair H 115i? Doubt I would get much better without going custom loop.

Just now, Somnax said:

Better than a Corsair H 115i? Doubt I would get much better without going custom loop.

Yeah go custom loop then. Why risk delidding a new cpu, unless over-all there is just a low risk of fucking something like that up, but I kinda doubt it.

Just now, yathis said:

Yeah go custom loop then. Why risk delidding a new cpu, unless over-all there is just a low risk of fucking something like that up, but I kinda doubt it.

Even then, would be barely any benefit I feel like over what I currently have. I think it is mainly just Intel being shitty and using thermal paste.

Just now, Somnax said:

Even then, would be barely any benefit I feel like over what I currently have. I think it is mainly just Intel being shitty and using thermal paste.

If thats a common problem with your cpu what is is 7700k you say, then if its common for intel to use shitty thermal paste on the 7700k then go for it, if its not common then dont do it because if you fuck it up, your screwed.

Just now, yathis said:

If thats a common problem with your cpu what is is 7700k you say, then if its common for intel to use shitty thermal paste on the 7700k then go for it, if its not common then dont do it because if you fuck it up, your screwed.

Well if I fuck it up, I just buy another 7700k or 6700k and I'm back where I started. Or buy Ryzen and wait for Intel to go back to soldering, but then I'd have to buy a motherboard too.

10 minutes ago, yathis said:

Just buy a better cooler bro

You're either taking the piss or have no idea how thermal resistance works. Buying a customloop would mean severe diminishing returns, as the bottleneck will always be the thermal conductance of the TIM.

Bad advice. Either tell him to live with the thermals or offer advice on how to safely delid the chip.

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

You're either taking the piss or have no idea how thermal resistance works. Buying a customloop would mean severe diminishing returns, as the bottleneck will always be the thermal conductance of the TIM.

Bad advice. Either tell him to live with the thermals or offer advice on how to safely delid the chip.

34 minutes ago, Subduck said:

Just now, yathis said:

Is it a common problem bro?

It is common enough for Intel to tell people not to overclock the K series chips which are supposed to be meant for overclocking.

Just now, Somnax said:

Liquid metal is what is normally used.

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

14 minutes ago, Somnax said:

Use a delidding tool for one, that der8auer kit is probably only really available in EU since he's shipping them via Caseking.de

Use something like Coollabaratory Liquid Ultra or Grizzly Conductonaut. Note that it's highly conductive, including electricity. Any spillage kills whatever it shorts.

Use either masking tape when applying, or coat the smd's next to the CPU with some paint or latex

On 6/13/2017 at 6:35 PM, Somnax said:

yes we would actually by at least 10-20 degrees under load