is gpu mining worth it?

Blackhole890

on nicehash says that i could make 4,5€ per day with my gpu (0,11 with cpu, so sad), so should i? The gpu power consumption is around 110 watts max

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

What how? I'm trying to do bitcoin mining but I can only make 0.00005 bitcoins per day. (which is like $0.14 USD).

I have 1 GTX 970, whats your graphics card?

I'm trying to mine off of a windows 10 app, because its way easier, but it probably makes way less money.

Well I pay ~0.30€ per kWh, mining my PC draws about 200W, so it runs 5h for 30ct, so roughly 1.5€ per day. Mining with NiceHash I make roughly 6€ per day, so I make about 135€ per month from my "spare" system. That wouldn't be too great if I would have to justify buying a GPU specifically for this, but since that system just sits most of the year, it is a nice bonus

7 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

What how? I'm trying to do bitcoin mining but I can only make 0.00005 bitcoins per day. (which is like $0.14 USD).

I'm trying to mine off of a windows 10 app, because its way easier, but it probably makes way less money.

don't mine bitcoin... mine some other cryptocurrency like Etherium or Zcash

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams

15 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

Mining Bitcoin directly with a gtx 970 (or any gpu really) is as effective as trying to dig with a spoon.

I often wonder how many "miners" on LTT are minors who don't pay bills.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Mining Bitcoin directly with a gtx 970 (or any gpu really) is as effective as trying to dig with a spoon.

Well what other easy cryptocurrency do you recommend?

1 hour ago, IsaacThePooper said:

rx 570

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

but it shouldnt be a problem if your gpu consumes only 100 watts no?

1 hour ago, IsaacThePooper said:

its cause youre running off a gpu with cuda, dumbass :P
only newish amd cards running off gcn can mine for a large profit.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

I use NiceHash. Quite cool as it automatically selects what to mine based on profit margin.
It's not 'real' mining though. You rent your Hardware to be used and get paid in BTC in return. I make ~3-5€ of profit a day. (GTX1080, 0.29€/kWh
Definitely, make sure to either have enough power to spring for the big payout (<0.01BTC) or use the NiceHash wallet to get your BTC faster.

Personal rig: Silverstone SG13 Case | AMD Ryzen 1700 | Biostar X370GTN |  EVGA GTX1080 Superclocked w/ FTW BIOS  | 450W SFX PSU | 16GB GSKILL DDR4-2666 | Roccat Ryus MK Pro Keyboard & Roccat Kone XTD Mouse | Samsung 850Pro NVMe PCIe SSD 256GB

Working Laptop: Thinkpad T460p with Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.6 GHz | 32GB DDR4 RAM | Intel HD 530 | GeForce 940MX | 256 GB Crucial M500 SSD 

2 hours ago, Blackhole890 said:

why

because it's actually worth doing?

you earn more money mining newer currencies and exchanging them for btc than you do mining btc itself 

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams

5 hours ago, T4cC0re said:

I use NiceHash. Quite cool as it automatically selects what to mine based on profit margin.
It's not 'real' mining though. You rent your Hardware to be used and get paid in BTC in return. I make ~3-5€ of profit a day. (GTX1080, 0.29€/kWh
Definitely, make sure to either have enough power to spring for the big payout (<0.01BTC) or use the NiceHash wallet to get your BTC faster.

This is what I am doing.  My 1080 ti makes ~$8 a day.  270w at $0.0989 is under $20 a month.  Pays every morning at 5am into my nicehash wallet.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 hour ago, TahoeDust said:

This is what I am doing.  My 1080 ti makes ~$8 a day.  270w at $0.0989 is under $20 a month.  Pays every morning at 5am into my nicehash wallet.

i thought nicehash recommends not depositing into their wallet unless you're gonna buy hashing power.

also 270 watt for your whole system? you running 60% power and a low power system?

5 minutes ago, DoctorZeus said:

i thought nicehash recommends not depositing into their wallet unless you're gonna buy hashing power.

also 270 watt for your whole system? you running 60% power and a low power system?

I'm not sure about storing it in their wallet.  It seemed convenient and when you use their wallet the deposit every day.

270w for my 1080ti.  I never turn my system off or put it to sleep, so I was just figuring the 270w to run the 1080 ti as being the expense.  Not sure what the whole system is pulling.  Know of a good way to calculate it?

1080ti

H115i

7 140mm fans

3 SSDs

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

5 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

270w for my 1080ti.  I never turn my system off or put it to sleep, so I was just figuring the 270w to run the 1080 ti as being the expense.  Not sure what the whole system is pulling.  Know of a good way to calculate it?

1080ti

H115i

7 140mm fans

3 SSDs

Build your system in PCPartPicker, easyest way to find out. Since your CPU isn't running on full power all the time, you can half it's draw value.

I'm not sure about storing it in their wallet.  It seemed convenient and when you use their wallet the deposit every day.

1080ti

H115i

7 140mm fans

3 SSDs

I'd estimate between 400-500W. You could always measure it with a wall meter to see what it's actually drawing.

13 hours ago, Mooshi said:

I usually offset more money yelling at people to turn the dam lights off than I can make 'mining'.

14 hours ago, Blackhole890 said:

snip

Etherium  seems more profitable atm, I still prefer folding at home, doesn't make me any money but it at least feels like its helping something for all that coal burning.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

5 hours ago, thewipyk said:

Build your system in PCPartPicker, easyest way to find out. Since your CPU isn't running on full power all the time, you can half it's draw value.

4 hours ago, othertomperson said:

I'd estimate between 400-500W. You could always measure it with a wall meter to see what it's actually drawing.

PCPartsPicker says 523w...half CPU I figured ~475w.  That makes electricity cost ~$35 a month.  Still coming out ~$200 a month ahead.

PCPartsPicker says 523w...half CPU I figured ~475w.  That makes electricity cost ~$35 a month.  Still coming out ~$200 a month ahead.

i'm in the same boat mining with a 1080 ti and that sounds right. I had to reenable power management on my cpu so that it throttled down.