Upgrading from Phenom II X4 to Intel 4770K

Go to solution Solved by Dire Melon,

Well, I don't know why I even bothered posting this. Since nobody is actually helpful without being rude.

I hello there! I am upgrading from the Phenom II X4 to a  4770k soon, I have ordered the new motherboard and cpu but is there anything I need to know about switching from amd to intel CPU's since I have never done it before. Any advice or tips would be great!  :)

Reinstall Windows FFS...

Well I am new to PC building, No need to be a dick.

Make sure you plug the thing into the thing.

But don't force the thing into the thing. No means no.

Well I am new to PC building, No need to be a dick.

You wouldn't be the first person to do huge hardware changes without a reinstall.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Well, I don't know why I even bothered posting this. Since nobody is actually helpful without being rude.

reinstall windows as someone said and then the only difference will be you ll need to install the intel drivers about the chipset and those type of things

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I hello there! I am upgrading from the Phenom II X4 to a  4770k soon, I have ordered the new motherboard and cpu but is there anything I need to know about switching from amd to intel CPU's since I have never done it before. Any advice or tips would be great!  :)

Well really there is nothing specific to it, you should just treat it like any new computer build.

Obviously you will have to reinstall windows (This video shows you how to format and reinstall in detail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Z3zFrPxQQ) If your Windows copy is OEM, it will be tied to the AMD motherboard and you will need a new one. If it's a retail version, you can use it with the Intel one, so when you reinstall just use the same serial number (do reply if your copy is retail but you don't know how to get the serial #) You may or may not need to reactivate Windows through the phone, but sometimes it will just let you reactivate it online.

Yeah other than that, it's like any other build. Reply if you got specific questions about it. And ignore Sarcasm, he's always like that :\

Hello! Well I'm sorry that people were rude to you, we do want to help you though! As others have said, you will need a fresh install of your OS on your new system. This is because you're switching to a completely different chipset and your drivers would conflict and cause huge instabilities. Just make sure you backup everything so you don't loose any of your data. That's really all you'll need to do to get your system up and running.

Since you're getting a 'K' series CPU I imagine you'll be overclocking, so you might want to check out Intel's Performance Tuning Protection Plan, it's a special warranty that Intel offers for protection against damage that could occur from overclocking.

If you have any questions about your new CPU or any tech at all, please don't hesitate to ask!

-Intel Response Squad member. 

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Re-install windows since you're going to be changing drivers from AMD to intel