Budget mechanical keyboard

Will01

i posted on here the other week about a mechanical budget keyboard, i have the money now but i dont think i will be able to pay what i was planning before, ive had a look around and there are some cheap keyboards but i dont know if they are worth it. I'm thinking i may buy one and try it out see what its like. I can always return it. Anybody seen any for around £40 as im in the uk, that would be about $50 i think. here are some links of ones i was looking at.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUKEY-Mechanical-Keyboard-US-Layout-LED-Backlit/dp/B06VX47H87/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497046276&sr=8-1&keywords=mechanical+keyboard+aukey

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/rv7/Drevo-84-Key-Backlit-Tenkeyless-Mechanical-Keyboard/B01H6DHITE/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1497046349&sr=1-3&keywords=mechanical

I know the first one is non customizable rgb but i want a black keyboard with either blue or white backlighting as my setup is blue and black but white is a neutral colour that would also work, thanks!

The Drevo is a good keyboard; it uses the same chassis as the Keycool84. Outemu browns aren't as good as Cherry browns, but they're better than Zorro and older Kailh.

This keyboard is the same as the Aukey customizable RGB one and is cheaper than either of the ones you're looking at now.

On 09/06/2017 at 11:29 PM, Nimrodor said:

The Drevo is a good keyboard; it uses the same chassis as the Keycool84. Outemu browns aren't as good as Cherry browns, but they're better than Zorro and older Kailh.

This keyboard is the same as the Aukey customizable RGB one and is cheaper than either of the ones you're looking at now.

Sorry for the late reply, i was never notified of a comment. That bottom one looks decent, im stuck right now between spending alot on like a corsair one just because its corsair and i know it will be good and last a long time, not have to worry about it braking with warranty etc. That bottom one is pretty cool though, full rgb lol. Not too bothered what mechanical switches either so looks decent to me. Never bought from gearbest, are they any good?

There are quite alot of the drevo keyboard on amazon, to be honest id rather not have rgb and get a better keyboard, i dont know which is better but just saying id rather just go with the blue/white backlight and get the best keyboard i can 

44 minutes ago, Will01 said:

Sorry for the late reply, i was never notified of a comment. That bottom one looks decent, im stuck right now between spending alot on like a corsair one just because its corsair and i know it will be good and last a long time, not have to worry about it braking with warranty etc. That bottom one is pretty cool though, full rgb lol. Not too bothered what mechanical switches either so looks decent to me. Never bought from gearbest, are they any good?

In keyboard enthusiast circles Corsair is considered average quality actually; Cooler Master and Ducky are the best of the conventional RGB gaming keyboards. Corsair only really makes sense if you plan to make extensive use of their awesome lighting software. I and some others have ordered from Gearbest before and been fine with it; they're one of a couple of companies that makes money by buying OEM parts in China and reselling them elsewhere with almost no markup.

If you've never used a mechanical keyboard before I highly suggest that you do before buying anything; as everything is about preference for different key feels, you may like certain switches more than others (in my case I even preferred membranes to black keyswitches). If you can't try anything out beforehand at a hardware store or meetup you may want to buy a switch tester to at least try things out. It would suck to buy an expensive keyboard and hate using it.

If you just want to jump right in, this might be your best option: basic RGB, very good build quality (I'd put it slightly above Corsair, at least in the three samples I got), Outemu Blues are nice switches (better feeling but louder than Cherry with similar QC), and the option to replace the switches without soldering so you can keep it as a modding platform should you not like blue switches or move on to more expensive keyboards (or want to use its chassis as a switch tester for future purchases).

On 2017-6-13 at 7:12 PM, Nimrodor said:

In keyboard enthusiast circles Corsair is considered average quality actually; Cooler Master and Ducky are the best of the conventional RGB gaming keyboards. Corsair only really makes sense if you plan to make extensive use of their awesome lighting software. I and some others have ordered from Gearbest before and been fine with it; they're one of a couple of companies that makes money by buying OEM parts in China and reselling them elsewhere with almost no markup.

If you've never used a mechanical keyboard before I highly suggest that you do before buying anything; as everything is about preference for different key feels, you may like certain switches more than others (in my case I even preferred membranes to black keyswitches). If you can't try anything out beforehand at a hardware store or meetup you may want to buy a switch tester to at least try things out. It would suck to buy an expensive keyboard and hate using it.

If you just want to jump right in, this might be your best option: basic RGB, very good build quality (I'd put it slightly above Corsair, at least in the three samples I got), Outemu Blues are nice switches (better feeling but louder than Cherry with similar QC), and the option to replace the switches without soldering so you can keep it as a modding platform should you not like blue switches or move on to more expensive keyboards (or want to use its chassis as a switch tester for future purchases).

Thanks very much for the info. I'm trying to think the best place to go and try some out. Might have to go into the city to be honest. Don't think there are really any shops that will have any on show in my town. Thanks again. Same thing again though. If I can get that keyboard in black with white backlit id do that. Rgb keyboard look a little tacky. I mean I don't know if there is a price difference between a solid colour vs rgb anyways. That keyboard looks good anyways. That surged thing looks wired though

5 hours ago, Will01 said:

Thanks very much for the info. I'm trying to think the best place to go and try some out. Might have to go into the city to be honest. Don't think there are really any shops that will have any on show in my town. Thanks again. Same thing again though. If I can get that keyboard in black with white backlit id do that. Rgb keyboard look a little tacky. I mean I don't know if there is a price difference between a solid colour vs rgb anyways. That keyboard looks good anyways. That surged thing looks wired though

There are white versions but they're based on a worse PCB and aren't much cheaper. If you don't like RGB's you can just manually set the color to white.

If you don't care for the replaceable switches and just want white backlighting the Drevo probably makes more sense for the price.

Just keep an eye out for deals. You may get lucky if you hunt around long enough. I bought my own Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) for $40 on clearance at a Wal-Mart table. Though, keeping in mind, you give up time for saving money.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 15/06/2017 at 1:43 PM, Nimrodor said:

There are white versions but they're based on a worse PCB and aren't much cheaper. If you don't like RGB's you can just manually set the color to white.

If you don't care for the replaceable switches and just want white backlighting the Drevo probably makes more sense for the price.

15 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Just keep an eye out for deals. You may get lucky if you hunt around long enough. I bought my own Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) for $40 on clearance at a Wal-Mart table. Though, keeping in mind, you give up time for saving money.

To be honest i dont mind if its rgb, my idea was that rgb keyboard would be more expensive. What im gathering from you guys is it doesnt really matter. So thats good. i can get the same keyboard in white or rgb for the same price. If i want it white i can always turn it to that. So im between that rgb motospeed one and the drevo. For the actual switches and build quality, which is better out of them 2? ill see which is the best offer for the drevo ones now. Motospeed is only available on that one website i believe.

I think its basically a case of , black keyboard, white keyboard, rgb keyboard and then red,blue and black switches. Most of the others are cherry switches, alot more expensive.

The Drevo Gramr is the best of Drevo's cheap keyboards; it uses many of the same parts as the more expensive Keycool84/MK84. The Calibur is wireless and has some polling rate issues last I checked, and the Excalibur is a nicer version of the Gramr (metal housing and better switches) but probably not worth the price jump.

I used to have the Motospeed and it's good all-around (and quite good looking), though the E-element is still slightly better build-wise; it's built heavier with a more solid metal plate and its stabilizers are more stable (better than the Motospeed and significantly better than the Drevo, which has noticeable stabilizer wobble). If I weren't on the go so much I'd be using my E-element now instead of my Drevo, especially since I was able to just swap Cherry Browns into my E-element, something's that's much harder to do on the Drevo.

It's possible to get Cherry switches for not much more, but gaming keyboards in my experience are usually lower quality than good Chinese ones (wider manufacturing tolerances, cheap printed keycaps).

If you don't mind it being slightly louder, blues are the most satisfying switch to start with, and Outemu blues are just as good as (if not better than) Cherries, while Cherry does browns much better.

22 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

The Drevo Gramr is the best of Drevo's cheap keyboards; it uses many of the same parts as the more expensive Keycool84/MK84. The Calibur is wireless and has some polling rate issues last I checked, and the Excalibur is a nicer version of the Gramr (metal housing and better switches) but probably not worth the price jump.

I used to have the Motospeed and it's good all-around (and quite good looking), though the E-element is still slightly better build-wise; it's built heavier with a more solid metal plate and its stabilizers are more stable (better than the Motospeed and significantly better than the Drevo, which has noticeable stabilizer wobble). If I weren't on the go so much I'd be using my E-element now instead of my Drevo, especially since I was able to just swap Cherry Browns into my E-element, something's that's much harder to do on the Drevo.

It's possible to get Cherry switches for not much more, but gaming keyboards in my experience are usually lower quality than good Chinese ones (wider manufacturing tolerances, cheap printed keycaps).

If you don't mind it being slightly louder, blues are the most satisfying switch to start with, and Outemu blues are just as good as (if not better than) Cherries, while Cherry does browns much better.

Ok, thanks for that! So i think ill go with the drevo gramr blue switch then? Do you think that would be the best option for me? I can get it from amazon, if its too loud i can always send it back easily.

On 6/21/2017 at 8:05 AM, Will01 said:

Ok, thanks for that! So i think ill go with the drevo gramr blue switch then? Do you think that would be the best option for me? I can get it from amazon, if its too loud i can always send it back easily.

I think that's a good choice on a budget. Personally I like the E-element more, but in the US the keyboards are the same price whereas for you the price difference makes them roughly equal values.

Starting with blues then returning if they're too loud is a good idea.

3 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

I think that's a good choice on a budget. Personally I like the E-element more, but in the US the keyboards are the same price whereas for you the price difference makes them roughly equal values.

Thanks very much for the help. I will be purchasing that keyboard soon. :D

On 22/06/2017 at 4:19 PM, Nimrodor said:

Hi, got the money to buy the keyboard now. Just looking and the drevo gramr is very compact. i have space so i was wondering what the difference between the gramr and the tyrfing is. They are the same price, have blue switches and white backlighting. Only difference i can see is that the tyrfing has a slightly less compact design which i would prefer. Cheers

28 minutes ago, Will01 said:

Hi, got the money to buy the keyboard now. Just looking and the drevo gramr is very compact. i have space so i was wondering what the difference between the gramr and the tyrfing is. They are the same price, have blue switches and white backlighting. Only difference i can see is that the tyrfing has a slightly less compact design which i would prefer. Cheers

The Gramr is better-built; again, its body is the same as some much more expensive boards. Normally the small form factor is seen as a plus, in part because proper low-sens mouse movements often benefit from more desk space.

If you want a larger form factor take a look at this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/B01M6UN2HG

It's a rebranded Mantistek GK2, which is the keyboard which Aukey in turn rebrands for their other RGB mechanical keyboards. Tolerances weren't quite as tight on mine as they were on the Motospeed, but it's still better than the Drevo. Software-controllable RGB with a fairly accurate white is also nice. Too bad the Motospeed is out of stock now.

On 27/06/2017 at 10:01 PM, Nimrodor said:

The Gramr is better-built; again, its body is the same as some much more expensive boards. Normally the small form factor is seen as a plus, in part because proper low-sens mouse movements often benefit from more desk space.

If you want a larger form factor take a look at this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/B01M6UN2HG

It's a rebranded Mantistek GK2, which is the keyboard which Aukey in turn rebrands for their other RGB mechanical keyboards. Tolerances weren't quite as tight on mine as they were on the Motospeed, but it's still better than the Drevo. Software-controllable RGB with a fairly accurate white is also nice. Too bad the Motospeed is out of stock now.

Ended up ordering the tyrfing. others said to me its basically the same as the gramr. Seems extremely solid. Like 0 flex in the keyboard. nice and heavy.

On 6/9/2017 at 6:13 PM, Will01 said:

i posted on here the other week about a mechanical budget keyboard, i have the money now but i dont think i will be able to pay what i was planning before, ive had a look around and there are some cheap keyboards but i dont know if they are worth it. I'm thinking i may buy one and try it out see what its like. I can always return it. Anybody seen any for around £40 as im in the uk, that would be about $50 i think. here are some links of ones i was looking at.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUKEY-Mechanical-Keyboard-US-Layout-LED-Backlit/dp/B06VX47H87/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497046276&sr=8-1&keywords=mechanical+keyboard+aukey

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/rv7/Drevo-84-Key-Backlit-Tenkeyless-Mechanical-Keyboard/B01H6DHITE/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1497046349&sr=1-3&keywords=mechanical

I know the first one is non customizable rgb but i want a black keyboard with either blue or white backlighting as my setup is blue and black but white is a neutral colour that would also work, thanks!

I find that your best budget keyboards. especially mechanical and for gaming, that your bottom of the barrel price point is $60-$80. I know you said closer to $50 but you may leave disappointed at that price point. Here are 3 budgetary ones that I will recommend, have personal experience with and have generally gotten good reviews.

Logitech G710+ = $62

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mechanical-Keyboard-Tactile-High-Speed/dp/B009C98NPY?tag=gomk-20

Logitech G410 Atlas Spectrum = $70

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Spectrum-Tenkeyless-Mechanical-920-007731/dp/B01645FHEI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1498751328&sr=1-1&keywords=Logitech+G410+Atlas+Spectrum

Corsair STRAFE = $80

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-STRAFE-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00ZUPOMDQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1498751291&sr=1-1&keywords=Corsair%2BSTRAFE&th=1

Hope these help!

Don't forget to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we aren't going to receive your answers...

~Jano

32 minutes ago, Will01 said:

Ended up ordering the tyrfing. others said to me its basically the same as the gramr. Seems extremely solid. Like 0 flex in the keyboard. nice and heavy.

I was too late! 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... lol j.k

Don't forget to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we aren't going to receive your answers...

~Jano

45 minutes ago, Janocte said:

I was too late! 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... lol j.k

Lol. dont think i would be able to pay that price anyway. not that bothered. xD this one is decent. never had a mechanical keyboard before so i cant really be dissapointed