Looking for free devs

RUWO_builder
9 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

@Nuluvius

Yah my bad, im human. And make often mistakes :)

I don't really get what you mean by that. Care to elaborate? 

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

i'm currently building a game as well so i won't have time, but if you want advice or something feel free to message me (i've built 3 games so far all really shitty)

If its your first game and your working in a group i advise getting documentation sorted on standards, ideas and things like that, it'll stop possible fights and people implementing the wrong thing in the wrong way.

Best of luck

So many comments... Not gonna quote any one,.. but  you know the term "Freelancer???" 

People that do work for Experience !!!  Something that common , when you want to have portfolio and apply to job!! 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

20 hours ago, keavlar said:

you know the term "Freelancer???" 

Freelance doesn't mean "free". Freelancing just means you are a "free agent" so to speak, and aren't tied to a company. The average pay for actual freelance programmers is something like $50-$100 an hour, depending on experience and location. Definitely not free.

Though I don't think it's harmful to say "hey we have this project and are looking for people who have time to give. We can't pay, but we will help you get some experience if you are a college student or someone just looking for experience."

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

15 hours ago, reniat said:

The average pay for actual freelance programmers is something like $50-$100 an hour, depending on experience and location.

That's a joke, I wouldn't get out of bed for that! It's between £300 to in excess of £1K here.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

20 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

It's between £300 to in excess of £1K here.

an hour!?!? at 40 hours a week you'd be a millionaire in less than a year!

Gaming build:

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

Just now, reniat said:

an hour!?!? at 40 hours a week you'd be a millionaire in less than a year!

Well once you deduct actual living costs, a bit longer... and that is surprising to you. I'm honestly surprised that you are surprised by that O.o

Add me to the list of "I can't provide the time, but I wish you good luck!"

I'm also in the boat that thinks your scope is too big for what your collective skill-level is. That said, at least you recognize that failure is indeed, an option. Would be interested to see how this shapes up.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 minute ago, Nuluvius said:

Well once you deduct actual living costs, a bit longer... and that is surprising to you. I'm honestly surprised that you are surprised by that O.o

Sounds like I need to get into freelancing lol. If you normalize my salary for living cost (I live in a SUPER cheap part of the midwest), I make about 6 figures, which is on par or above my peers here in the states (peers being people who are < 3 years out of college). If I were to go to the coast and "make it big" without getting into management, I'd probably be look to double or triple that. No where near millionaire status.

Gaming build:

Server build:

6 minutes ago, reniat said:

Sounds like I need to get into freelancing lol.

It's certainly provides a nice lifestyle but one must be mindful of the disadvantages and risks that come with the territory. You are responsible for doing your own tax, what happens between contracts, what happens if the contract goes bad, what happens when you get sick or want a holiday and then add dependants to the equation (family and/or other employees or sub contractors).

In all honestly though I'd choose working for myself over working for someone else every time.

2 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

It's certainly provides a nice lifestyle but one must be mindful of the disadvantages and risks that come with the territory. You are responsible for doing your own tax, what happens between contracts, what happens if the contract goes bad, what happens when you get sick or want a holiday and then add a dependants to the equation (family and/or other employees or sub contractors).

In all honestly though I'd choose working for myself over working for someone else every time.

That still feels like an insane amount of money, but I can see how there are definitely trade-offs. I honestly don't think I could work for myself like that. I'm happy being a small cog in a big wheel, as long as I get paid enough to fund my awful pc hardware addiction and get chances to learn new things and grow as a developer. Though this is getting extremely off-topic for this thread lol

Gaming build:

Server build:

9 minutes ago, reniat said:

Though this is getting extremely off-topic for this thread lol

Agreed, though this thread was stillborn imo.

On 2017-6-18 at 10:08 AM, keavlar said:

So many comments... Not gonna quote any one,.. but  you know the term "Freelancer???" 

You don't, that's for sure. Freelancer doesn't mean you do it for free.

11 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

$300 per hour? Good luck with that. Idk how it works in your country, but the minmum salary here in euro's is around 1200,-. thats about 1300-1400 dollar. If i would get 300$ an hour and work around 30 hours a week for 4 weeks a month, i would make $36000. which is €32000+ Count me in on that one :)

OT: I have to admit with @M.Yurizaki on a lot of things, as a gamedeveloper myself, i can confirm it's better to start of small instead of big. The project is less likely to fail. And yea it will be a learning expierence, but so will smaller projects be. You'll learn more out of a small project that has a somewhat okay result, rather than a big project where you end up with nothing at all. But by all means, good luck. i do hope it becomes a great game. Keep us op to date!

2 hours ago, sgzUk74r3T3BCGmRJ said:

The problem we have to address now, is getting from ~$115,000 USD up to $750,000 USD to $2,600,000 USD per year in order to square with the claim that £300-1000/hour is 'average' for a contract developer. It seems unlikely that the average contract developer anywhere is getting paid better than than the average NFL or NHL players player. Likewise, it seems unlikely that an average contract developer in the UK is earning a salary equivalent to 4-15 American doctors but I'm open to being wrong.

Well the lower end is believable. If you're at least 10 years into the business

I'm interested. I've tooled around with Unity and I would love to learn more about this type of programming and design. 

Can you give me some more info about the project such as exact language and how asset sharing is occurring? You can PM me of course.