Hd 6870 PSu

DerekAnaya

So, Im doing this really (as Linus would say) janky build. I need to know if anyone knows how much I need to power literally JUST the HD 6870 by itself? 

Should use around 200 watts under load if I'm not mistaken heavily

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

2 minutes ago, DerekAnaya said:

So, Im doing this really (as Linus would say) janky build. I need to know if anyone knows how much I need to power literally JUST the HD 6870 by itself? 

how are you just gonna power the card, you need to trigger the PSU somehow to turn on, usually this is done by two connectors on the 24pin connector

If so, that is fantastic news. I've been looking all morning and cannot figure it out. ALSO! I HATE PROPRIETARY HARDWARE 

I jump the two pins needed to start it? Literally a stripped off bread tie. I'll be making a switch for that later.

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

how are you just gonna power the card, you need to trigger the PSU somehow to turn on, usually this is done by two connectors on the 24pin connector

If he's powering a single GPU on a single PSU I guess he has that covered, really simple stuff. 

All ya have to do is connect the green pin with any black pin with a paperclip or something and your PSU on/off button will act as the power button. 

Image result for psu jumper

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

See? This guy knows. I was going to pretty up that jumper later. Make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

11 minutes ago, DerekAnaya said:

See? This guy knows. I was going to pretty up that jumper later. Make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

Remember to quote people when you reply, else they won't get a notification saying you replied :P 

Hope I was of help though

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

8 minutes ago, pelark said:

Remember to quote people when you reply, else they won't get a notification saying you replied :P 

Hope I was of help though

OH! Im so sorry. Thank you! 

19 minutes ago, DerekAnaya said:

No problem, no problem :P 

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

1 hour ago, DerekAnaya said:

use some non conductive gloves or so just 2 be safe

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2017 at 2:41 PM, Tiwaz said:

use some non conductive gloves or so just 2 be safe

I sadly have toasted the board. :/  So..NEW Project! lol. 

For future references, if you are going to power a GPU with a supplementary PSU, you should do so with an independent regulated PSU or one that utilized a DC-DC for the minor rails. By powering it only from the 12V like you was doing is putting the PSU in a severe crossload scenario which group-regulated PSUs will have difficulty in maintaining a stable voltage and may go out of specs.

My problem was it was a janky build to begin with. I had some cutting to do and left a piece of metal exposed unknowingly which arced to the board. Found the burn mark and cried. Lol.

11 minutes ago, DerekAnaya said:

My problem was it was a janky build to begin with. I had some cutting to do and left a piece of metal exposed unknowingly which arced to the board. Found the burn mark and cried. Lol.

:.(

• 4 weeks later...

Its okay! I got promoted and can finally afford a proper build!