Looking for a new office chair

Silent Node

I have a POS "Office Depot" chair that is all but dead after only a couple years. I'm prepared to spend "more" on it's replacement (up to around $500 CDN), but that still leaves me well short of getting the Mirra 2 I would want.

A good "racing chair" would be ok, as long as I can get it in black/grey or something that doesn't look like it belongs in a kids bedroom. Breathability and wide range of adjustment are big. It will be in my office, so casters should be good for use on vinyl tile.

Looking for some recommendations.

(Couldn't figure out if there was a better place to post this in here...can be moved if there is a more appropriate sub-forum than Off Topic)

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ͓  i7 6700k ͓  16GB DDR4-3200 ͓  EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra Gaming

tbh, I would have put it in general discussion. It's not tech but really only for the fact that that way it'll get replies.

Have you checked out Staples? imo, pretty much all of these gaming chairs have the 12-year-old's bedroom/40-year-old virgin effect. A good office chair won't set you back $500 so you'll have some money left over.

If Staples fails you, there are plenty of office supply places.

Something I'd say though is try before you buy; it's fucking awful getting something delivered and it doesn't fit - or it fits but the foam is really soft so it goes flat after a few months.

Save up until you can get the mirra 2, mate. Trust me, it'll be worth it. I own the Aeron and the difference was night and day. My previous chair was a generic staples chair that was made out of PU bonded leather. Needless to say, I had it for three years before it started peeling/falling apart. For $450 you'd expect a chair to last a bit longer than that.

Don't cheap out on your back health/chairs.

i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz |:| Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H |:| Noctua NH-D14 |:| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti XE |:| G.Skill 8GB 1600 |:| Samsung EVO 250GB |:| WD Caviar Blue 1TB |:| XFX 750W BE |:| Corsair 450D |:|
ASUS PG348Q |:| Moon Neo 230HAD Dac/Amp |:| Sennheiser HD 800 |:| Logitech G900 |:| Ducky Premier (MX-Reds)

On 2017-06-06 at 7:50 PM, Mug said:

tbh, I would have put it in general discussion. It's not tech but really only for the fact that that way it'll get replies.

Have you checked out Staples? imo, pretty much all of these gaming chairs have the 12-year-old's bedroom/40-year-old virgin effect. A good office chair won't set you back $500 so you'll have some money left over.

If Staples fails you, there are plenty of office supply places.

Something I'd say though is try before you buy; it's fucking awful getting something delivered and it doesn't fit - or it fits but the foam is really soft so it goes flat after a few months.

Respectfully disagree here.

I'm sorry but you're not going to get a quality chair for < $500 dollars. I've had terrible experiences buying chairs from office depot and staples over the years. Plenty of their so called 'rated for 8+ hrs' chairs are mass produced and are made in house. Generic chairs that are made with PU bonded leather won't last you very long (2-3 years tops from my experience).

My aeron was only $1100 fully loaded. If someone is willing to drop $600 dollars on a shitty dxracer or a generic mass produced chair - then it should be a no-brainer to spend a little extra on a superior product. That's all.

@Silent Node Since you're in Vancouver: I suggest you check out grshop (a reputable dealer and where I purchased my chair) and wait for their annual herman miller sale.

OR

You buy used. Many times businesses/start ups fail and go bankrupt so you can snag second hand herman miller chairs for half the cost.

i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz |:| Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H |:| Noctua NH-D14 |:| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti XE |:| G.Skill 8GB 1600 |:| Samsung EVO 250GB |:| WD Caviar Blue 1TB |:| XFX 750W BE |:| Corsair 450D |:|
ASUS PG348Q |:| Moon Neo 230HAD Dac/Amp |:| Sennheiser HD 800 |:| Logitech G900 |:| Ducky Premier (MX-Reds)

8 hours ago, Lt.Speirs said:

My aeron was only $1100 fully loaded. If someone is willing to drop $600 dollars on a shitty dxracer or a generic mass produced chair - then it should be a no-brainer to spend a little extra on a superior product. That's all.

@Silent Node Since you're in Vancouver: I suggest you check out grshop (a reputable dealer and where I purchased my chair) and wait for their annual herman miller sale.

OR

You buy used. Many times businesses/start ups fail and go bankrupt so you can snag second hand herman miller chairs for half the cost.

Yea, my current chair was purchased as a "stop gap"... it's honestly a piece of junk after two years (I'm 6'3", 200lb ...so big, but not a giant). I may just sit on it a bit longer and buy the Aeron or Mirra. I have a friend who doled out the big money on an Embody, sat in it when I was visiting recently. It's a simply awesome chair.

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ͓  i7 6700k ͓  16GB DDR4-3200 ͓  EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra Gaming